LCVG

New Retro games...

Carlucci

Check this out....

238140.jpg

$24.99

Has Pac-Man, Galaxian, Rally-X, DigDug and Bosconian! I like the big joystick, but I worry because it seems right-hander biased. I need the button on the other side to play comfortably.

Also

direct2tv.jpg

The "10" has:

Astrosmash

Baseball

Football

Motocross

Night Stalker

Shark! Shark!

Skiing

Snafu

Space Armada

Star Strike

and the "25" has:

Astrosmash

Baseball

Basketball

Buzz Bombers

Football

Golf

Hockey

Hover Force

Motocross

Night Stalker

Pinball

Shark! Shark!

Skiing

Snafu

Space Armada

Space Battle

Space Hawk

Star Strike

Sub Hunt

Thin Ice

Thunder Castle

Tower of Doom

Vectron

Volleyball

Wrestling

The "25 is $24.99. Not sure how much the "10" is.

Carlos.

Hmm, I have the Atari joystickthat includes 10 games. I do enjoy it, but haven't used it in a while. I'd love to be able to use a trackball for Missile Command without having to go the whole MAME route.

the Intellivision Lives! website has a CD offer with just about every Intellivision game ever made for sale.

But I think I might want to go with this rather than the Intellivision Joystick, even though I'd rather play the games on TV. Maybe I'll get both. :)

So what's the difference in getting the Namco Joystick from getting Namco Museum for say, the xbox? Most of the games are repeated. I do notice that there are slight differences such as the joystick has Bosconian, while Museum has Galaga. But I would think that Museum would look better since you can hook it up to the tv via component inputs via the xbox.

But I would think that Museum would look better since you can hook it up to the tv via component inputs via the xbox.

Son, you can hook these games up through fibreoptic A/V output woven from the wings of angels and it's still gonna look like a bunch of yellow pixels chasing a stream of one color dots :green:.

That being said, I would love to have wokka-wokka-wokka throbbing out of 5.1 system with a wicked rumble for the subwoofer for every single wokka ;). How often do the police report to the scene of a noise complaint involving wokka?

I was jesting before, but I would actually be kind of torn. The console version is, as you say, a great space saver, but check out that joystick! I mean, that is a classic arcade style stick right there. Playing Pac-Man like that would be a total retro trip, which is really the entire point. Though I personally don't have any experience with those 'all in a joystick' type peripherals so I can't really say how they work.

Phew, I am not very helpful at all :P.

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Sep 23 2003, 08:22 AM

Maybe I'll just stick with Namco Museum then, since it'll be one less peripheral for me to have laying around...

Probably a good call.

The only reason I would get one of these would be to hook it up to my piddly 20" TV in the bedroom. Then I could play anytime a bout of sleeplessness hits me, until I get sleepy.

So these are strictly single-player, or do they somehow link with another gamepad/stick?

Strictly single player, unfortunately. However, you may be able to play mutiplayer with Namco Museum and the like. Maybe someone can confirm this.

but check out that joystick! I mean, that is a classic arcade style stick right there. Playing Pac-Man like that would be a total retro trip, which is really the entire point.

That's true. The Atari joystick that I have is really a blast from the past, and a lot of the fun for me was just from using the joystick and playing games like "Adventure" that I haven't played on an actual Atari in forever. The joystick feels and looks EXACTLY the same as the old one. The only difference is it has A/V cords that plug directly into your tv, and a couple buttons on the side, to navigate the menu.

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Sep 23 2003, 09:33 AM

Strictly single player, unfortunately. However, you may be able to play mutiplayer with Namco Museum and the like. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Yes, I have the Namco Museum for the PS1. On those, you can play two-player, taking turns.

The Namco Museum ALSO features the DIP Switch settings, so you can control the number of lives, difficulty, speed, etc, of many of the games. I doubt seriously that you would get that functionality on these straight-to-TV games.

Carlos.

• 9 months later...

The Ms. Pac-Man set is out now. Contains:

Ms. Pac-Man

Galaga

Pole Position

Mappy

Xevious

I really enjoyed the Pac-Man version a lot more than I thought I would, so I will probably pick this one up to keep the collection growing.

To my knowledge, Xevious and Mappy haven't appeared in any of the console compilations, so it's worth it to me just to be able play those quarter melters again.

Carlos.

FYI supposedly all the TV games boards are well labled so if you are decent with a soldering iron it is very easy to hook up a real arcade joystick. Several people have done it with the first namco set and I can only imagine this one will have at least twice as many - I'm tempted to do one myself.

So has anyone picked up the Ms. Pac-Man set? I snagged it earlier today, and as much as I hate to say it, I'm very disappointed - the joystick sucks. Ms Pac-Man itself is almost unplayable - it's very unresponsive. One interesting thing is how the joystick works with Pole Position - you actually twist the stick for your turns. I kind of wonder if building in that little feature is what makes the ordinary aspects of the joystick bad... it just seems overly loose.

There's a stand in my local mall that is selling "Power Player". It has 3 parts to it; Light gun, N64 style control stick, and Genesis style game pad that have 80 NES games built in. They each plug into the TV. I've often though of picking it up, but the video quality seems to be less than steller on the relatively nice TV's they are on. I don't know how much they are as I've yet to stop and ask.

Anyone seen these?

Found it on the net:

http://buypegasus.com/super_joy_iii_game_s...and_pistol.html

There's a whole bunch of those unlicenced "compilation joypads" out there. Some of them are quite interesting looking - like lil mini PSOnes or PSX style moldings. Some are essentially a Famicom inside - open it up, remove the cart & you can plug in other Famicom carts too.

All utterly illegal of course.

Haven't bought any of these official joysticks yet though. They look cool, they're a great idea, but the game selection is never quite what I want (especially the Atari2600 one - close, but no cigar), and I have access to a lot of the games anyway through emulation packs on the PSX, Xbox etc so the only thing in their favour is the original joystick.