LCVG
ChrisBardon

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion

I accidentally pick-pockets all the time! I forget I'm in sneak mode and click to talk to someone and I pickpocket them instead!

Of course, my skills aren't hight enough yet, so I always get caught!

Anyone run into any Elven/Alyeid Warriors yet? If so, care to share thier location and your level? I love the Mithril armor set, but man I want a full set of Elven armor badly. I've had the opportunity to wear a full set of Orc, Dwarven, Legion, and Leather but have decided against them due to most of those being full sets of heavy armor (which I'm not specialized in and have no interest in) and preferring to use my Brotherhood garb in most instances. Mithril was just the type of armor I was looking to wear when I'm not using my Assassin's uniform.

On that note, is anyone else just extremely wierd like me? By that I mean I refuse to be seen in my Dark Brotherhood getup outside of being on an actual contract. I kept a nice jacket and boots to wear while walking through town (both of which I got through completing contracts in the brotherhood) until I recently got this Mithril set. I just feel like I'm breaking one of the tenets if I do get seen in the outfit so I make sure to change before heading back to town etc..;)

This game now owns my soul like few games ever have.

I hear that. I've enjoyed many games over the past 2-3 years, but nothing has come close to enjoying Obilivion. I'm 13 hours in, up to Level 4 or 5. My lockpicking skills are sooooo much better and I can generally pick a Very Hard with only 1 lost pick. I'm also much better on the Persuasion system, making finding info much better.

Tonight I'll be making some runs to the various Alyeid dungeons to acquire the remaining statues I need to finish off the Collector quest.

I've spent a ton of time on this, too. I love the dungeon design and the money for each artifact is great in addition to the big payoff at the end.

I've advanced the main plot a little

Where is this "Main Plot" quest? I keep trying to find it, but it's been awfully elusive so far....:P With all the sidequests, I think I'll name my next character "Boy Ritalin the ADD."

On that note, is anyone else just extremely wierd like me? By that I mean I refuse to be seen in my Dark Brotherhood getup outside of being on an actual contract. I kept a nice jacket and boots to wear while walking through town (both of which I got through completing contracts in the brotherhood) until I recently got this Mithril set. I just feel like I'm breaking one of the tenets if I do get seen in the outfit so I make sure to change before heading back to town etc..;)

That is hardcore, dude. But I guess that's what we should expect from you :)

I've been wearing my Dark Brotherhood outfit pretty much non-stop since I got it. Though I do feel weird wearing it a lot of the time, I'm just too lazy (and don't want to spare the inventory space) to carry (and switch into) other gear.

I didn't have much time to play over the weekend, but I've had a lot of fun with the Thieves Guild quests and Dark Brotherhood quests. I met up with Ongar the Fence, and in that town found some other subquests. There's a greedy tax collector, and some missing people. I plan on doing those quests and then getting back to the guild quests.

Where can I find a steady supply of lockpicks?

and can you mantain a horse? because mine just kicked it the other day after exiting a dungeon

and can you mantain a horse? because mine just kicked it the other day after exiting a dungeon

I've been wondering this myself - Do the horses heal themselves?

Mine got shot by a couple of arrows - I noticed them sticking out of my poor horse, but they disappeared in a short time.

The Thieves Guild. The fences carry an ample supply of lockpicks.

No idea if there is anyway to bring the horse back from the dead. In terms of maintaining the horse anytime you fast travel your horse will follow you to whatever location you show up at. You need to make sure your horse doesn't take too much damage of course. The problem with

Shadowmere

is that he just loves to get it on the combat so it's hard to defend him at times. The horses health will regenerate over time by the way.

Had no idea horses can die.

Spent most of the weekend questing in Cheydinhall (sp?). Probably the most interesting one was a Dark Brotherhood quest in which I had to

kill a boat captain. Of course once I did this every freakin' pirate in the Imperial City waterfront wanted my head, so rather than try to take on five pirates at once, I ran into the water (they didn't follow) and then into the Imperial city. At the main gate a couple guards took over for my and slaughtered the pirates that followed me in!

Another cool quest was the one in Cheydinhall in which I was uncovering a corrupt tax collector.

I had the choice to either bring him to justice through the system or let an evil old bag take care of him. Of course, I chose the latter and watched him get eaten by her pet rats.

Anyone know the quest reward for doing this the "nice" way?

Also joined the thieves' guild. Thanks here to whoever gave the pointer to just follow the girl into the house. That helped a lot.

Oh - and lockpicking still eludes me. I so don't have the patience for that crap.

And, finally, after some very annoying load times yesterday, I let my 360 rest an hour or so and cleared the cache. Everything was back to normal after that - keep that in mind if your load times start freaking out on you like mine did. I even had a couple lockups.

One last question - has anyone figured out spellcrafting? I know I need filled soul gems, but I have no idea how to capture souls.

Probably the most interesting one was a Dark Brotherhood quest in which I had to [spoiler']kill a boat captain. Of course once I did this every freakin' pirate in the Imperial City waterfront wanted my head, so rather than try to take on five pirates at once, I ran into the water (they didn't follow) and then into the Imperial city. At the main gate a couple guards took over for my and slaughtered the pirates that followed me in!

You were seen?!? Shame on you! ;)

Another cool quest was the one in Cheydinhall in which I was uncovering a corrupt tax collector.

I had the choice to either bring him to justice through the system or let an evil old bag take care of him. Of course, I chose the latter and watched him get eaten by her pet rats.[/spoiler'] Anyone know the quest reward for doing this the "nice" way?

I don't know about the nice way, but...

I enjoyed tellling him to come see the woman but then leading up into the abandoned house and killing him myself :)

You were seen?!? Shame on you! ;)

Dudes wouldn't leave the cabin! I snuck-killed one of them, though. The other one - this was hysterical - we had one of those swipe-over-the-table, run around the table in circles fights around the captain's dining table with me standing on the table yelling "en garde you smelly english kniggit!"

Well, something like that.

I have put in about 20 hours, and have hit level 14. Thanks mostly to a massive clearing of alchemy supplies. I must have made 200 potions, just to clear up inventory space. I had accumulated mass quantities of ingredients, but didnt really figure out how to use them until last night.

My character is a custom spec'ed Thief, specializing in bow, blade, light armor etc. I havent done a ton of random stealing yet, but I did steal a horse. I noticed that when I rode around and then got off the horse, that he started walking very slowly back towards the place I stole him from.

I have been trying to increase my magic skills (none of the magic schools are in my primary abilities, so its slow going to increase my magic level).

I turned into a vampire last night as well. The night-eye spell you get is really nice. It gives you night-eye and detect life for 100 feet.

I havent found very many good items yet. My armor is still the Dark Brotherhood set. I have an bow of cold, that does 7 damage +5 cold damage. And a non-magic glass dagger that does 8 damage.

So far I am really enjoying the game. I have the PC version, and it runs pretty well on my Athlon X2 3800+ with an GeForce 7800GT.

my favorite Dark Brotherhood quest so far was the "Party" quest, at which i was the 6th Party Guest... I kept thinking of "Saw2" during this one. hahah It took me close to an hour to complete. This is one of the few quests i have done that really made me have to stop and think about how to get it all done. very immersive and a good quest to make you FEEL in charecter.

About the corrupt Cheydinhal Captain quest (tax collector)...

I went the good way and turned him into the Captain. Death is all well and good, but a life sentence is worse.;) The best part is you can visit him in the city dungeon afterwards and he will talk all kinds of smack to you from behind the cage for you having put him in there.

my favorite Dark Brotherhood quest so far was the "Party" quest, at which i was the 6th Party Guest... I kept thinking of "Saw2" during this one. hahah It took me close to an hour to complete. This is one of the few quests i have done that really made me have to stop and think about how to get it all done. very immersive and a good quest to make you FEEL in charecter

Agreed. Though I'm partial to "The Purification" myself. ;)

This thread is brutal to read while seeing my copy of Oblivion sitting on my coffee table and no 360 to play it on. :) Good news is today is the day my 360 is scheduled to arrive! I am hoping tonight I'll be able to put some good time into Oblivion before I fall asleep. Meanwhile I feel like a prisoner in my own home as I wait for UPS to deliver the goods. Gotta love that conveniant 9am to 7pm time window. :)

I finally broke down and picked up a copy... even though the baby is due in two weeks (don't think I'll quite finish it by then :) )

Figured out persuasion pretty quickly. (don't really like that minigame, but I'm good at it)...

I'm still having trouble with lockpicking though (which sucks as a thief/assassin type character). Any tips on that? I try to wait for the slow dropping pin, but i still seem to break picks alot.

Think I'm up to about level 3 right now...

Agreed. Though I'm partial to "The Purification" myself. ;)

Man, i hated that one... i mean, it was fun, sure.. but i just felt horrible having to do it. Trying to remain in charecter (being someone who values his friends), it was hard to force myself to do that quest. but, I do what i'm told. That's the bottom line.

I had no moral qualms with serving our Night Mother;). I will miss

Vincent's "Spill some blood for me dear brother" goodbye.

I had no moral qualms with serving our Night Mother;). I will miss [spoiler']Vincent's "Spill some blood for me dear brother" goodbye.

I also enjoy serving the Night Mother, but damn. she's hardcore!

I'm still having trouble with lockpicking though (which sucks as a thief/assassin type character). Any tips on that? I try to wait for the slow dropping pin, but i still seem to break picks alot.

You mean slow rising, right? :) I guess that equates to slow dropping, in a way... That's really all there is to it, I think. Wait for it to rise slowly, and click it in as soon as it hits the top. Once you get used to focusing and recognizing the slow risings, it gets much easier.

<-- Got to Level 5 yesterday.

As a thief... it's also good to have spells which unlock the doors automatically. Right now I have a spell that will unlock both "Easy" and "Very Easy" doors with just a touch of magicka. (which I believe I picked up from the angry cat dude in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

I abandoned the Dark Brotherhood yesterday (well, just taking a bit of time off) to join the thieve's guild. I'm finding THAT to be quite fun. Now to get back on the main quest tonight for a bit... might be hard ;)

By the way... is there any way to bring my Dark Brotherhood getup back to 100 health? Both my hood and armor have gone all the way to 0, so I don't even wear it any more. They're just sitting in my inventory till I can figure that out.

do you guys know if there are any drawbacks to clearing out dungeons at random, without being given a quest to do so? i have begun worrying that i might either find things in a dungeon that i wouldn't know were needed to complete quests, or that doing things out of order like that might result in some other kind of screw-up in the storyline...

You mean slow rising, right? :) I guess that equates to slow dropping, in a way... That's really all there is to it, I think. Wait for it to rise slowly, and click it in as soon as it hits the top. Once you get used to focusing and recognizing the slow risings, it gets much easier.

You know... i don't even think I noticed the rising speed... (that would've been helpful :D )... I was trying to see the drop pattern cycle and get it on the next cycle... example cycle: fast, fast, slow, slower... then click on the fourth time around on the repeat cycle.... didn't work to well (not sure there was even a cycle, actually :lol )

I so wish i had my replacement projector bulb... The game (and GRAW) still look really good considering my PoS SDTV... but I want to see them on the big screen...