LCVG
ChrisBardon

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion

Go to Compusa, or PM at Best Buy, to get the PC CE and the 360 reg version for a total of $85. Rationalize it by telling yourself that you were going to get the 360 CE anyways, and it's only $15 more to get both versions and not have to wait. You'll get mods on the PC version and better performance on the 360. This logic was very effective when I used it on myself.

Strangely enough, the PC version of Oblivion doesn't seem to like the wired 360 controller at all. For some reason the movement with the left analog stick is really wonky and it won't recognize the right analog stick for looking around. If I try flipping the joysticks under options it doesn't recognize either stick. Also after I use the joystick, I can't switch back to the keyboard for any movement without restarting the game. I usually like using the keyboard and mouse, but sometimes I just want to kick back in my chair and walk around the huge world and the controller would be a little nicer for that.

Edit: Switching to the XBCD drivers seems to have fixed not being able to switch back to the keyboard, but I still cannot for the life of me get it to recognize the right analog stick.

Edit 2: Figured out the controller issue! For some godforsaken reason they have looking mapped to the Z axis with incredibly low multiplier values (like 0.0020). You have to change your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini file with:

iJoystickLookUpDown=5
iJoystickLookLeftRight=4
fJoystickLookUDMult=1.0000
fJoystickLookLRMult=1.0000

Those 1.0 multipliers are a little sensitive, you'll probably want to expirement and lower that number to something that suits you.

This logic was very effective when I used it on myself.

A friend of mine has a piece of cardboard with "Feeble justification" written on it. Whenever in a situation like yours, we use the card as the justification we neeed to spend the money we want to spend :)

Holy shit, man this game is going to suck some life from me. I messed around in the city for a bit, did a couple of quest, and then I went on to the next story jump and now I'm

standing in front of an Oblivion gate getting ready to go in

. I'd still be playing right now if my eyelids weren't being held open by tape.

Join the Dark Brotherhood.....IMMEDIATELY! Some of the most entertaning quests in the entire Elder Scrolls series for me thus far have been given to me from that guild. Not too mention the initiation quest is awesome. Also, when you first enter thier sanctuary you'll get the satisfying (and spooky) feeling of being part of an occult and very secretive society.:tu You also get a nice set of armor that is extremely effective for sneak/marksman/illusion based characters.

(For those wondering how to join....murder someone and get away with it. When you do a message will scroll across the top of the screen saying "Your actions are being watched from the darkness". Shortly after that make sure to go to sleep. You'll get a nice wake up call.;) )

My character is on the verge of hitting level 5 with my primary skills moving up quickly and efficiently. Game time says I've logged about 12 hours today and once again, I've not yet delivered the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre. This game will own my soul!

Second impressions are definitely superior to my first go-around. I still can't read any updates on the top of the screen but once I got the brightness jacked way up, got outside away from any dungeons or caves, and the sun came up, all was right with the world. :tu

The one burning question I have is: do objects ever reset to their original locations? I like ransacking houses but I'm worried that it will give me a huge save file, which we saw only lead to problems in Morrowind.

I got my perfomance in the worst outdoor areas up from about 15 FPS to 25 FPS. A bunch of small tweaks to get my system a bit more optimized made a pretty large difference. The towns I've been in are very smooth. The houses are generally smooth, although some of the more elaborate ones can bog my PC down a bit. The game looks great and is definately playable on my rig, but I'm still eagerly awaiting the return of my 360.

My best moment so far was actually something pretty mundane. I was messing around in someone's house, shooting arrows into various things, when I decided to shoot a wine bottle. The arrow stuck into the wine rack instead of bouncing off the bottle as I expected it would. I continued to shoot arrows into the various bottles just to see what they would do. I let another one fly, then heard someone behind me say "Can I help you?" in a very sarcastic voice. I was so entranced with my physics experiment that I didn't even notice that he had come home and was standing behind me as I vandalized his house. At this point, I actually felt pretty embarassed about how stupid I must have looked. I think any game that causes you to identify with your character like that has created a pretty damn convincing virtual world.

Ugh can't wait til my 360 arrives. Reading about Oblivion on the net (and watching various video clips) is making me crazy with anticipation.

The PC version + morrowind_fps_optimizer+mods is a godsend.

Do you have links for those? Since I can't afford either an XBox 360, a ?50 game or a high-end graphics card, I've just ordered Mirrowind for the obscenely large sum of ?2.99 from Play.com, in order to see what I think of the genre.

Here's my first few hours (any spoilers have already been spoiled before me):

I am Arcturius the Dark Elf. I got out of the sewers a Bard born under the sign of the Thief. With the Amulet of Kings in hand, I emerged from the sewers out into the daylight of the eastern side of the Imperial City's walls. It appeared surrounded by a river. I walked to the water's edge and spied the chalk-white marble fingers of a ruin across on the other side. My curiosity was overwelming and so I swam across to take a closer look.

Two bands were encamped at the ruin but I despatched them with steel. I rested awhile and used restorative magic to heal my wounds. Thus prepared, I delved into the catacomb beneath the ruin.

At first bandits blocked my path - the first charged at me madly from the darkness, swinging his heavy rusted axe. Some stood sentry, guarding the entries to their secret burrow. I learned to soften my step, to launch arrows from the dark, and throw fire from my fingers. In time, the bandits were sent to their maker. And yet still the secret of this massive tomb eluded me.

A tomb. I believe it was - not one but a sort of mausoleum - and one posessed by a foul and evil air. Down still I crept and now skeletons moved in the dark - their bones click-clacked on the polished floor, voice-less hisses spat from their tongue-less mouths.

And still deeper I went until I met the necromancer. I saw his rude bedchamber, spread among ancient sarcophagi in a large chamber. As I crept the perimeter, I moved to examine something on the floor when he espied me attacked.

He tried to sap my will with dark spells but my mastery of fire was strong and I smote him with flame and steel until his body lay unmoving on the marble floor. Yet here was not the end.

Deeper still, past devilish swinging blades and skeletons marching in the dark, I found it: ayleid treasures to fetch a hefty price at market. My pack was heavy and my swordarm tired but I made my way back to the surface. I would not sleep in that acursed place. I found the surface and kissed the sun-dappled grasses to be alive. I took a deep breath of fresh wind-swept air to wash the fetid taste of death from my mouth.

Now I look to west and far off to the place I was quested to go, fated to go, and set my feet in motion.

A friend of mine has a piece of cardboard with "Feeble justification" written on it. Whenever in a situation like yours, we use the card as the justification we neeed to spend the money we want to spend

Hey I could do with one of those.

Well, becuase of the hype this game was getting, I decided to pre-order the CE from EB Games on Saturday. Stood in a long line yesterday, go up to the counter and was told "oh, we got the PC version, PC:CE version, and the 360 version, but the 360:CE version got shipped to the wrong store." :bh

Should be picking it up today, but I have to say that reading all of your posts is making me VERY anxious.

I am Arcturius the Dark Elf. I got out of the sewers a Bard born under the sign of the Thief. With the Amulet of Kings in hand' date=' I emerged from the sewers out into the daylight of the eastern side of the Imperial City's walls. It appeared surrounded by a river. I walked to the water's edge and spied the chalk-white marble fingers of a ruin across on the other side. My curiosity was overwelming and so I swam across to take a closer look.

Two bands were encamped at the ruin but I despatched them with steel. I rested awhile and used restorative magic to heal my wounds. Thus prepared, I delved into the catacomb beneath the ruin.

At first bandits blocked my path - the first charged at me madly from the darkness, swinging his heavy rusted axe. Some stood sentry, guarding the entries to their secret burrow. I learned to soften my step, to launch arrows from the dark, and throw fire from my fingers. In time, the bandits were sent to their maker. And yet still the secret of this massive tomb eluded me.

A tomb. I believe it was - not one but a sort of mausoleum - and one posessed by a foul and evil air. Down still I crept and now skeletons moved in the dark - their bones click-clacked on the polished floor, voice-less hisses spat from their tongue-less mouths.

And still deeper I went until I met the necromancer. I saw his rude bedchamber, spread among ancient sarcophagi in a large chamber. As I crept the perimeter, I moved to examine something on the floor when he espied me attacked.

He tried to sap my will with dark spells but my mastery of fire was strong and I smote him with flame and steel until his body lay unmoving on the marble floor. Yet here was not the end.

Deeper still, past devilish swinging blades and skeletons marching in the dark, I found it: ayleid treasures to fetch a hefty price at market. My pack was heavy and my swordarm tired but I made my way back to the surface. I would not sleep in that acursed place. I found the surface and kissed the sun-dappled grasses to be alive. I took a deep breath of fresh wind-swept air to wash the fetid taste of death from my mouth.

Now I look to west and far off to the place I was quested to go, fated to go, and set my feet in motion.[/quote']

That was cool. :tu

I've put in about 4hrs so far and am loving it :) I am a Mage and have only done the intro and a few quests in the Imperial City as of yet but, its already hard to leave this game :). Graphically the game is beautiful both indoors and outdoors and the spell effects are really cool and the sound and music are absolutely Great (of course). The interface is well done and I like the quickslots although I already wish I had more. The map and barter interfaces are good as well and fast travel is nice as an option. I went ahead and bought the guide and I'm glad I did simply because of the maps and so I know what attributes affect what skills for my Custom Class. The only thing I have left for my char before getting back to the main story is to make him a Vampire - where is the closest vampire den (to the Imperial City) anyway?

9 hour Oblivion binge last night. dear lord. beautiful. Sniping a skeleton from a distance and watching his head snap off into the air is a wonderful feeling.

Join the Dark Brotherhood.....IMMEDIATELY!

I did! I was trying to find a beggar to get info on the thieves guild, and eventually wandered well outside of that area. A local (I don't recall the name) asked me a question, I laughed at him, he got mad...one thing lead to another...and then I killed him. Just to watch him die.

At that point, I took a nap and woke up to a man asking me to join the Dark Brotherhood. I did the first quest and then called it a night.

I'm looking forward to continuing. And like you Romier, I have yet to deliver whatever it was that I'm supposed to deliver to the monk.

This game just keeps getting better. I'm 5 hours in and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

One question: how are you managing your encumberance? I'm used to picking up as much junk as possible and unloading it for gold in other games, but that certainly won't work with my elf's measly 150 lb limit. Do I need to hoard potions, or use the space for more important stuff?

This is really the only frustrating part so far, the rest is simply fantastic. I can't imagine piecing a game like this together...how did the testers run through everything?

I laughed at him' date=' he got mad...one thing lead to another...and then I killed him. Just to watch him die.

[/quote']

:lol

Awesome.

For me one of the first spells I purchased was Ease Burden so I could carry more loot - just don't let the spell effect "drop" during combat because you won't be able to move :)

For my own update, I'm reading through the guide here at work (Looks around...) and now I know where to find the closest Vampire Den. I strongly recommend anyone planning to play through this game get the guide so stuff like "Where do I find a such and such" or "How can I get this power quickly?" is easily answered, and you don't have to read anymore than you want to. As a reminder, Amazon has the guide for $11.99 and it can be found in most brick-and-mortar stores for $14.99.

Anyway, I can't wait to get home and get back into the game... I'm sitting here trying to think of excuses to go home early. I miss it already

I am Arcturius the Dark Elf.

Cool things.

That was excellent, thanks.

Here's my first half-an-hour (any spoilers aren't spoilers at all):

I am ColdForged -- how... creative -- the High Elf. I met the Emporer and now I'm getting my ass continually handed to me by countless large jumping vermin. I have, however, marvelled at my arrows' effect upon a hanging bucket and their utter inability to sever the rope by which it hangs.

Oh and the guy that sold it to me? Lost his fiancee by logging 597 hours... five hundred and ninety seven frickin' hours... of Morrowind. Some people call that "hardcore." I do not.

I'll answer these separately since I have a few seconds of relief:

One question: how are you managing your encumberance? I'm used to picking up as much junk as possible and unloading it for gold in other games, but that certainly won't work with my elf's measly 150 lb limit. Do I need to hoard potions, or use the space for more important stuff?

Pick up what you need. If there's a useful piece of armor, grab it and drop the piece it's replacing. The money you make from most armor you pick up is measly. You'll make REAL money by joining a guild and completing quests. The Dark Brotherhood has paid me very well for my assasination services. The Mage's Guild is also compensating me nicely, though I have to keep my Dark Brotherhood moonlighting a secret as it's against the Mage Guild tenets.

I did! I was trying to find a beggar to get info on the thieves guild, and eventually wandered well outside of that area. A local (I don't recall the name) asked me a question, I laughed at him, he got mad...one thing lead to another...and then I killed him. Just to watch him die.

Here's my tale:

I went to Chorrol (one of the cities) and then into the Grey Mane Tavern. There's a older gentleman in there that will ask you to help his sons defend thier farm from some creatures that have been giving them trouble. So I completed the quest. I defended the farm from a Goblin attack with both of the his sons. One son lost his life in the battle from a Goblin Skirmisher's attack. In the hub-bub, I looted the dead sons body and stole the key to thier farm. As the remaining son returned home to speak to his father, I stuck around and broke into thier farm. I stole some trinkets including a good supply of lockpicks and a decent set of Leather Gloves.

Upon returning, I spoke to the father who gave me my reward (some 200gold). Later that evening (at around 7pm or so), I ran across the son who noticed the leather gloves and questioned me about them. Well, this lead to a fight which ended in the son's death at my hands. The battle went unnoticed by the guards thankfully. However, Ralas (my Dark Elf character's name) wasn't happy. How dare this little whelp question my motives after what I had done for his family. I required retribution for this outrage. So, I found thier home at the edge of town and waited until near 2am. Using my security skills, I lockpicked my way into the father's home, and as he slept I lodged an arrow into his throat for his son's impudence.

After turning in for the evening, I was awoken by the Lucien, Speaker of the Black Hand and invited to join the family.:tu