LCVG

KOTOR - Light side or Dark side easier?

secretvampire

I am curious as to what everybody thinks is the easier way to plow through Knights of the Old Republic. I am currently re-playing through the game as a Dark jedi after having beaten it already on the light path. I must say it is quite a bit easier. I realize that I have learned the combat system and location of key quest items now, but it was more challenging trying to find creative ways to peacefully solve problems that arose. Now I just walk around like a badass using Force Persuade to terrorize people and urging violence at every opportunity (don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast doing it!) I would be curious to hear other perspectives as well as from people who played the dark side FIRST.

"I may be bad, but I feel GOOD!"

I played through the game on normal difficulty with a 100% evil character. I had a great fun terrorizing NPCs, extorting money from the poor and manipulating events to suit my own desires. At the end of the game, I had more money than I could ever hope to spend :)

Being evil makes combat much more (emotionally) rewarding as well. The dark powers are much more fun: force lightning, choke, stealing enemy health to replenish your own.

I'm about 30% complete in my second game as a light Jedi. I am now forced to save every penny and sell every worthless piece of junk (in my evil game, I never bothered to sell all the trinkets I picked up. My inventory was HUGE!). The light force powers aren't nearly as fun, as most of them simply disable the enemy rather than deal death upon them :)

• 8 months later...
Another question... regarding leveling up, so far I've just been choosing "auto level up." Is that a bad idea? Should I be manually tweaking all of those things I don't understand yet?

Its entirely up to you Josh. You can allow the computer to allocate your skill points etc. but you are basically ignoring a very vital part of the game, that is creating a unique character. Ultimately it is your decision as to what kind of character you will end you with when you reach the final battle. Will he/she be heavily focused on force powers? Ranged attacks? Melee? I would highly suggest learning the underlying systems and try to think of what type of avatar suites you best. If you have any questions...ask away!

I personally played the dark side path the whole way through and created a dual red saber wielding bad ass cloaked in black with specializations in melee and force lightning/choke powers. Had too much fun terrorizing people.

My guy is Pure Evil, ... he'd kill his grandmother if she had a nickel. :twisted:

(Here is one point I'd like them to fix in the next KOTOR, .....my team, at least up until the point I'm at in the game, is completely loyal to me no matter how evil I am. I have light sided team members that support my every backstabbing move. Maybe this will change at some point that I haven't reached yet, but it hasn't so far and I don't suspect it will. I'd like to see one of my goody-goody guys turn on me and force me to whoop thier ass. I'd like that whiny female scoundrel with the wookie to turn on me, I'd bust her ass and Chewy's. :twisted:

Originally posted by JTello@Jun 25 2004, 07:31 AM

(Here is one point I'd like them to fix in the next KOTOR, .....my team, at least up until the point I'm at in the game, is completely loyal to me no matter how evil I am. I have light sided team members that support my every backstabbing move. Maybe this will change at some point that I haven't reached yet, but it hasn't so far and I don't suspect it will. I'd like to see one of my goody-goody guys turn on me and force me to whoop thier ass. I'd like that whiny female scoundrel with the wookie to turn on me, I'd bust her ass and Chewy's. :twisted:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the later developments in the game... ;)

Regarding the party members supporting your evil too much, one of the first things announced about the sequel was that your party members' alignments won't be so set in stone - some might turn on you and some might follow your lead even more, for instance - and there will also be potential party members that you'll only be able to get depending on which side you're on, i.e., there are more than 10 playable characters in the game.

Strangely, everyone always says the game is much easier to beat if you're on the dark side, but the two dark side characters I've created have actually been worse at combat/force powers than my goody-goodies. I guess I just don't know how to be evil :)

I really need to restart this game. I was totally addicted for the first 20 hours or so, and was still thoroughly beating the planet where the jedi counsel lives (whatever it's called) but then my save got corrupted somehow, right after I had deleted an older save. D'oh!

I picked this up a while ago and have been playing it on and off ever since. Mostly, I find it to be a good distraction between my fevered Live play or when I need a break from City of Heroes.

So far, I have beaten Taris, Dantooine (I think that is the Jedi homeworld) and Tatooine. I am now on the waterworld (forget the name). I am playing my character as a light-side guy and, while I find it challenging on many occasions, I am having a blast.

I think once I finish the game with this guy, I will create a dark-side character and push him towards the path of pure evil. Could be fun! ;)

I just completed the game as a dark side jedi (after my initial run a goodie goodie) and have to say I felt bad, and I mean real bad, about one thing I near the end of the game. Maggie, my wife, walked in during this most evil moment and couldn't believe what I was doing (she's now interested in playing KOTOR). I don't know if it is based in my mom being a good guilt-distributing catholic or if I am just a pansy. I might have to replay as a light jedi again just to make ammends.

I can't wait for the second one. It will be great how the outcome of the first game will impact the second game. Also it has been reported that in KOTOR 2 your companions are directly impacted by your actions. I can't wait to turn the evil characters to the light side of the force. Damn, I am a goodie goodie).

Michael

I have actually found that the light side is easier to beat. If you know how to get a few items on the Star Forge and if you have the new downloadable content you'd be hard to beat. They say being a soldier then Jedi Guardian on light side is the easiest way to get through the game because one you can always heal yourself, and two the Guardian is a major butt stomper with a lightsaber (Love Force Jump Feat) and can take more damage. Plus with one of the lightsaber crystals you can use only as light side Dark Jedi can't stand against you. Oh yeah also don't forget about Force Armor, +2 Defense, and Master Valor +5 to all attributes and stats for a long time (affects everyone in party). Believe me I never even got close to dying as a light side character. Try one thing with the level up process. Don't go past level five until you select what kind of Jedi you want to be. You can easily get to Dantooine being only level five. Still rack up you're skill points, but don't level up. Save um, and then when you pick up your lightsaber color/class it'll make you use those almost 4 level ups you've saved. Then when you become a Jedi you get to pick sixteen or more force powers rather than seven or eight. Level 5 base class Level 15 Jedi Class. Get it!!!

Originally posted by Cyberwoo@Jun 25 2004, 07:58 PM

Yes but do the force powers in the game act the same way they do in real life? :)

Now why you gotta say that? :bang: Star Wars is something you don't joke about there Cyber. It's serious stuff. :lmfao: Episode IV was the first movie I went to see as a little kid and I've been a fan ever since, realistic or not. Besides everyone needs Scif-Fi, what kind of human being doesn't like Sci-Fi? :D