LCVG
Cyberwoo

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion Part II

Wow this game is pretty amazing. Just started up a Khajiit/Thief/Agent player and am loving it! Being able to see in the dark and sneaking up on people is great. I just delivered the amulet to Jaffre and am off to find the dead Emperors son. I'm amazed at the level of detail in this massive world. Ya there is some pop up but damn everything around you looks so beautiful. I find myself sometimes just walking around and staring in awe at some of the areas in the game. I dont think I've ever had such a sense of being in the game as I've had in this one. It truely sucks you in with its incredible atmosphere. Anyway I have a quick question....what is the quickest way to get a horse? I'm getting tired already of walking. :) Do I have to earn a bunch of money and go buy one somewhere or is there a quest somewhere that will enable me to aquire one quicker?

******ADMIN NOTE*******

Part I of the discussion can be found here:

Oblivion Post-Release Discussion Part I

Comparison of 360 and PC versions:

-PC version has MUCH shorter loading times

-PC version runs a lot smoother in towns and dungeons

-360 version runs better outside for the most part

-360 version seems to have most everything enabled. AA, shadow softening, tree shadows, grass shadows, HDR. PC version cannot have AA and HDR at the same time.

-There are various settings on the PC version that can be adjusted with sliders like grass distance, NPC fade, object fade, etc. For the most part, the 360 version seems similar to the autodetected "high" settings Oblivion selected for my PC. I run my PC a bit beyond that because the pop-in was annoying.

-Grass draw distance on the 360 is lower than what I was comfortable having it set at on the PC since the pop-in was a distraction. However, it fades in much more naturally on the 360 so this isn't a problem at all.

-Loading pauses in the overworld on the PC are negligible. In fact, even though the bottom of the screen says "now loading", the game doesn't pause at all for me. The 360 pauses for 1-2 seconds in similar situations.

-The interface makes sense now that I've played the 360 version. However, it's unfortunate that the PC interface was molded around the lowest common denominator. The interface is good for a console game, but pure shit for a PC game. Hopefully they know how terrible it is and will patch it with a customizeble UI.

-The 360 version is preeeetty dark. I have the brightness slider at max and I still had to adjust my TV a couple of clicks up from its normal calibration. The colors are muted and it has a smoother, more polished appearance. The PC version is very vivid, at least on my screen.

My system is a laptop with a P4 3.4, 1GB RAM, and Geforce 6800 rev. 2. I would say that if you have that or better and plan to fast travel everywhere, spending most of your time in towns/dungeons, the PC version is a good choice. The 360 seems to lock the framerate in interior cells at 30, whereas I get 50+ on the PC with the same level of visual fidelity.

For outdoor playability, go with the 360 version. It does have more pop-in than what I'd like. However, it runs much smoother outside than my PC version does with similar settings. I have hit a couple rough spots outside on the PC version where combat playability was hurt a bit. Also, the 360 version has tree and grass shadows on, which I couldn't swing on my PC.

Thx for the comparrison BDBB. I ended up going with both: a standard edition on PC and the CE on Xbox360 but, I haven't even installed the PC version yet.

what is the quickest way to get a horse?

If you continue following the main quest, you should eventually be given on Cyber (pretty early in the game too). The other way is to buy one, steal one, or acquire one through doing some guild quests etc.

Thx for the comparrison BDBB. I ended up going with both: a standard edition on PC and the CE on Xbox360 but, I haven't even installed the PC version yet.

I've been considering doing this as well. My wife has a nice dual-core/2GB RAM/ATI X1400 laptop that I would love to play this on.

I only wish there were a way to transfer saves between 360 and PC versions...

If you continue following the main quest, you should eventually be given on Cyber (pretty early in the game too). The other way is to buy one, steal one, or acquire one through doing some guild quests etc.

If you steal a horse, will it eventually become yours? Or will it always be considered stolen?

If you steal a horse, will it eventually become yours? Or will it always be considered stolen?

No idea. I know if you leave the horse alone it will automatically try to walk back to it's original location and owner. I don't know if there's anyway to actually make the horse "yours".

-Grass draw distance on the 360 is lower than what I was comfortable having it set at on the PC since the pop-in was a distraction. However, it fades in much more naturally on the 360 so this isn't a problem at all.

Do you have HDR on with the PC version? For whatever reason, HDR being on makes the grass actually fade in, while HDR off results in the sudden popping.

-The 360 version is preeeetty dark. I have the brightness slider at max and I still had to adjust my TV a couple of clicks up from its normal calibration. The colors are muted and it has a smoother, more polished appearance. The PC version is very vivid, at least on my screen.

Interesting to hear. I've been wondering because I've seen a lot of posts from 360 users complaining that it's too dark, while on the PC side there's actually a mod to make dungeons darker. It's nice and vivid for me too, on my PC.

So are torches and night eye actually useful on the 360?

No idea. I know if you leave the horse alone it will automatically try to walk back to it's original location and owner. I don't know if there's anyway to actually make the horse "yours".

Hmmm.... That second sentence sounds disturbing in a way... ;)

Another weird thing with horses... The only horse I've had so far was the one I got when I turned over the amulet of kings. After finishing up in the Imperial City at one point, my horse was gone when I went to leave. Any idea how that could have happened?

So are torches and night eye actually useful on the 360?

I wouldn't be able to sneak up on enemies effectively without my Night Eye spells. I have one that activates for 240 seconds that I refresh regularly in any dungeons I'm exploring. I use these spells in conjunction with some enchanted items that give me the ability to detect life for a good distance. I've adjusted the brightness on my set to get a good balance on the 360 version, but generally I tend to keep it pretty dark (I don't adjust too much higher than the default setting). I don't generally mind the darkness considering the setting. For an Assassin character like the one I have, it's actually fun to stalk enemies in the deep dark and use those spells to my advantage.

I've had very little problem with the darkness on my set (Panny Plasma). Of course, it's dark, but these are dungeons we're talking about! I'm able to sneak in the dark without night eye or life detect, although those may come in handy at some point I would imagine.

I just got an amulet on contant life detect. I'll have to see if that helps in the darkness of the dungeons. Hopefully I'll find a good item for nighteye similar to this amulet...

I use the VGA adapter for my LCD monitor and its very vivid, I didn't have to adjust the brightness at all.

I've actually got the VGA adapter. I should hook my 360 up to my 19in CRT computer monitor and see how things looks. Condemned and Kameo were both gorgeous and quite vivid in that regard. It would be interesting to see how Oblivion looks.

Hopefully I'll find a good item for nighteye similar to this amulet...

Work up Illusion to 25 (fairly easy to do if you buy a spell called Illuminate and cast it regularly) and then buy either Eyes of Eventide or Eyes of Midnight. You can also buy Void Stalker (I think that's the name of the spell but have to check). Eyes of Eventide doesn't last very long, but Midnight is decent. Void Stalker is excellent though. There is a Ring of Night Eye in the game that drops in a dungeon just south of the Imperial City (it's part of the Daedric Quests in the game), but I've not had it drop for me yet.

For those looking to find trainers, here is a list directly from the strategy guide:

Low Level Trainers: lvl 1-40

Medium Level Trainers: lvl 40-70

Master Level Trainers: lvl 70-up

Acrobatics Training

Low Level Trainers: Quill-Waeve -- Main Drag in Anvil and Ida Vlinorman – Northeaster quadrant of the imperial Citys Elven Gardens

Medium Level Trainers: Dog-Hater Tsrava – lives at J’baris house in the south Central part of Leyawiin and Ganredhel – Southeast corner of Cheydinhal

Master Level Trainers: Aerin – Camp northeastern of Cheydinhal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alchemy Training

Low Level Trainers: Felen Relas at the Anvil Mages Guild and S’drassa in the Leyawiin Mages Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Ardaline at the Bravil Mages Guild and Brotch Calus whose in a house just east of Brumas Great Chapel of Talos

Master Level Trainers: Sinderion is in the cellar of Skingard’s West Weald Inn

Alteration Training

Low Level Trainers: Dovyn Aren who lives next to Acrobatic Trainers Ida Vlinoramn in the Imprial City’s Elven Garden District and Deetsan at the Cheydinhal Mages Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Athragar at the Chorrol Mages Guild and Abhuki who runs the Faregyl Inn just of the Green Road South of Imperial City.

Master Level Trainers: Tooth-in-the-Sea on the Niben Bay coast north of Bravil.

Armorer Training

Low Level Trainers: Eitar who is located east of Leyawiin’s great Chapel of Zenithar and Tadrose Helas and the Bravil Fighters Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Rohsaan is located at the A Fighting Chance store in the Imperial City’s Market and Rasheda at the Fire and Steel in Chorrol

Master Level Trainers: Gin-Wulm at The Best Defense in the Imperial City’s Market District but wanders the Market and Elven Garden Districts

Athletics Training

Low Level Trainers: Uuras at the southwest corner of Skingrad and Mahei in Leyawiin

Medium Level Trainers: Hauls-Ropes-Faster at The Fo’c’sle in Anvil and wanders the waterfront at night and Honditar located at the southwest of Chorrol

Master Level Trainers: Rusia Bradus located at Anvils main drag next to the Abandoned House

Blade Training

Low Level Trainers: Naspia Cosma at Castle Cheydinhal and Right Wind at the Bruma Fighters Club

Medium Level Trainers: Sherina and Rhano at the Leyawiin and Anvil Fighter Guild

Master Level Trainers: Alix Lencolia located atFaregyl Inn south of Imperial City

Block Training

Low Level Trainers: Fadus Calidius at the Skingrad Fighters Guild and Huurwen at the Anvil Fighters Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Lum gro-Baroth at the Chorrol Fighters Guild and Ambroise Canne who is at Southwest corner of Skingrad

Master Level Trainers: Andragil who lives above Dro’Shanji in the north part of Bravil

Blunt Training

Low Level Trainers: Bugak gro-Bol at Southern Book in Leyawiin and Vigdis at the Anvile Fighters Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Chrstiphe Marane located Brina cross Inn northeast of Anvil and Azzan at the Anvil Fighters Guild

Master Level Trainers: Irene Metrick located in the southwest quadrant of the Imperial City Elven District

Conjuration Training

Low Level Trainers: Fathis Aren the court mage at Castle Bravil and Suilinus Vassinus at the Skingrad Mages Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Alberic Litte of the Chorrol Mafes Guild and Arentus Falvius at Brumas Great Chapel of Talos

Master Level Trainers: Olyn Seran at Molag Bal’s shrine located in the Great Forest.

Destruction Training

Low Level Trainers: Chanel at the castle mages in Castle Chorrol and J’skar at the Bruma Mages Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Marc Gulitte at the Anvil Mages Guild and Delphine Jend at the Bravil Guild

Master Level Trainers: Will not give location to Bralsa Andaren unless you can coax their Disposition above 80.

Hand-to-Hand Training

Low Level Trainers: Nashi at the Bravil Fighter Guild and Rufrius Vinicus at the Anvil guild.

Medium Level Trainers: Davela Hlaren at the Imperial Bridge Inn and Ra’qanar at Castle Cheydinhal

Master Level Trainers: Helvius Cecia lives southeast corner of Bruma

Heavy Armor Training

Low Level Trainers: Brodras at the Leyawiin Fighters Guild and Bumph gra-Gash at the Bruma Guild.

Medium Level Trainers: Valus Odiil in Chorrol and Varnado at The Beast Defense in the Imperial City’s Market District

Master Level Trainers: Pranal at the Roxey Inn on the Red Ring Road at the Northeast corner of Lake Rumare.

Illusion Training

Low Level Trainers: Hill the Tall Cheydinhals Chapel of Arkay and Jantus Brolus at Istrius Brolus’s house in Bruma

Medium Level Trainers: Carahill at the Anvil Mages Guild and Kud-Ei in the Bravil Guild.

Master Level Trainers: Martina Floria at the Arcane University’s Chironasium.

Light Armor Training

Low Level Trainers: Dul gro-Shug located in Northeast Quadrant of Imperial City’s Elven Gardens and Olfand at Nord Winds in Bruma

Medium Level Trainers: Luciana Galena at the southern section of Bravil (right above the house for sale) and Argonian-hating Ahdarji located in Leyawiin just west of the Southern Gate

Master Level Trainers: J’Bari, located in south-central Keyawiin in a house.

Marksman Training

Low Level Trainers: Elda Dark-Heart who is locate at Regner house at the Southside of Bruma and Shameer located west of Skingrads Great Chapel of Julianos

Medium Level Trainers: Reman Broder who lives in the Southwest Corner of Skingrad and Pinarus Inventius in Anvil

Master Level Trainers: Alawen at the Trill Candle Camp east of Anvil

Mercantile Training

Low Level Trainers: Foroch at Gottshaw Inn southwest of Kvatch and Mach Na at Mach-Na Books

Medium Level Trainers: Margarte located East of Leyawiin’s Great Chapel of Zenithar and Seed-Neeus at Northern Goods and Trade at Chorrols South Gate.

Master Level Trainers: Palonirya at Divine Elegance in the Imperial City’s Market District

Mysticism Training

Low Level Trainers: Angalmo in the Chorrol Mages Guild and Druja in the Skingard Guild

Medium Level Trainers: Ita Rienus in the Bravil Mages Guild and Boderi Farano in the Arcane University’s Mystic Archives.

Master Level Trainers: Dagil in the Leyawiin Mages Guild

Restoration Training

Low Level Trainers: Cirroc at Brumas Great Chapel of Talos and Marie Palielle at Skingards Great Chapel of Julianos

Medium Level Trainers: Marz in Bravils Great Chapel of Mara and Ohtesse in Cheydinhal’s Great Chapel of Arkay

Master Level Trainers: Oleta at the Chapel of Akatosh in Kvatch

Security Training

Low Level Trainers: Malintus Ancrus located in the southwest corner of Chorrol and Samuel Bantien located in the Imperial City’s Talos District

Medium Level Trainers: Dro’Shanji located Andragil’s in north-central Bravil and Mandil located at Othrelos house in the Imperial City’s Talos District

Master Level Trainers: J’baana located at the Imperial Prison

Sneak Training

Low Level Trainers: City-Swimmer located above S’krivva’s just southwest of Bravil City Gate and Glistel located in the southwest corner of Chorrol

Medium Level Trainers: Othrelos located in northeast part of Imperial City’s Elven Garden District and Mirabelle Money located at the boarding house at Anvil Waterfront.

Master Level Trainers: Marana Rian northwest part of the Temple District

Speechcraft Training (hard locations)

Low Level Trainers: Alga, located in a house in Bruma (look on the map hard to Describe also lives with Honmund if that helps) , and Uravasa Othelas located at Bravils Great Chapel of Mara

Medium Level Trainers: Varon Vamori located in Bravil (house use map) and Gruiand Garrana located at Cheydinhal’s Great Chapel of Arkay

Master Level Trainers: Tandilwe at the Temple of the One in the Imperial City’s Temple District

It's listed in the strategy guide. I didn't compile it. It's been posted around the internet and thought some folks would appreciate it having it here so they could reference it easily.

You know, I've dumped near 40 hours into the game right now and I really do just love playing it. However, I do have some major gripes with certain aspects of Oblivion in comparison to Morrowind which I've held off on mentioning until I got deeper into the game. I'll comment on a few more items in a little bit, but right now most striking issue I have noticed thus far is the "stand alone" nature of the Guild Faction quests. By that I mean you could theoretically join all of the factions and complete them all with one character. This, frankly, sucks.

I can deal with the reduced number of factions in the game (Morrowind had so many of them it was difficult to keep track of but awesome in terms of sheer variety), but I really dislike how there are no repercussions stemming from moving one Guild storyline forward over the other. In Morrowind you reached intersecting points in the storylines where you either outright pissed off members of the other guilds or even had other guilds attack you on sight due to your actions.

I think there is a semblance of balance in Oblivion in so far as the Faction quests are concerned because the game is stronger in the storytelling department IMO. That is partially due to the improved NPC interation and just the more "living" nature of the world. However, losing that sense of consequence that was so well done in Morrowind really does hurt the overall experience of joining and working through the Guild storylines in general.

For instance, as a member of the Dark Brotherhood I may get a contract to kill a certain character who may have wronged another person in the world. I go about my duties and eliminate my target. What if the person I eliminated was a high ranking member of the Thieves Guild. The Thieves Guild in turn does some investigating and is able to discover some information as to my appearance and if I interact with a member of the guild they may question me about my activities. This could lead to some nice situations where you'll need to use your persuasion and personality skills to get out of a sticky situation. At the end of the day though, having completed the contract for the Dark Brotherhood makes it very difficult for you to remain a member of the Thieves Guild for very long so it would force you as a player to make hard decisions about which Guild you will end up joining. This is one example of the kinds of intersecting sitautions I miss from Morrowind that could be done with Oblivion's new engine and Radiant AI system.

my only grip so far is how items within my new house reset themselves after a few days. So, I clear all the junk off a table and carefully arrange all my magic daggers on the table... perfectly lined up, perfect presentation. a few days later, i come back and all the junk that i had previously cleared off the table is BACK in its original position, on TOP of my daggers. In morrowind, if you moved something, it stayed put.

I wonder, if I completely remove the afformentioned junk items from the house, if it will keep the items from reseting to their original locations?

that's my only grip so far. Brilliant game.

Do you have HDR on with the PC version? For whatever reason, HDR being on makes the grass actually fade in, while HDR off results in the sudden popping.

With HDR on with the PC version the game crashes for a lot of folks (me included). Turning it off I haven't had a crash since.

I'm still on the fence with this and feeling extremely overwhelmed and confused. I haven't had a lot of time to play though and never played Morrowind so this is all new to me.

I'm still on the fence with this and feeling extremely overwhelmed and confused. I haven't had a lot of time to play though and never played Morrowind so this is all new to me.

I was really overwhelmed with Morrowind too, but once i got into it, it quickly became one of my all-time favorite games. a lot of people, i think, are intimiated/confused/overwhelmed by the fact that there really isn't any specific agenda. they aren't sure what they are supposed to do because the game doesn't tell you to "do this". Once you get past that, it's wonderful. open ended.

speaking of graphical issues, I am running pretty smoothly on at ATI Radeon 9800XT, and I have noticed that when i cast my "Chameleon 20%" spell on myself, i am almost completely invisible. As in, my charecter just disappears and the only thing that is visible is a faint blemish (sort of like the Predator's camo). Is this a bug? or is it supposed to be this way?

and I have noticed that when i cast my "Chameleon 20%" spell on myself' date=' i am almost completely invisible. As in, my charecter just disappears and the only thing that is visible is a faint blemish (sort of like the Predator's camo). Is this a bug? or is it supposed to be this way?[/quote']

I'm pretty sure that's how it is suppose to work. I used a chameleon scroll and it had the same effect. It's not so much that your invisible but that you are adapting to (take the form of) your surroundings.

speaking of graphical issues, I am running pretty smoothly on at ATI Radeon 9800XT, and I have noticed that when i cast my "Chameleon 20%" spell on myself, i am almost completely invisible. As in, my charecter just disappears and the only thing that is visible is a faint blemish (sort of like the Predator's camo). Is this a bug? or is it supposed to be this way?

On the 360 version when a character uses Chameleon there is a visible effect like a watery "Predator" shape. You can still tell its a character by the shape but, it sounds like what your describing. I'm guessing its the same "look" on both systems with maybe the PC having a few options that may lessen the effect for performance gains.

Edit: Yea, what Wetwork said :)

With HDR on with the PC version the game crashes for a lot of folks (me included). Turning it off I haven't had a crash since.

I've had a grand total of ONE in-gameplay crash in 45 hours of gameclock time, probably 50+ counting reloads. HDR has been on the entire time, except for during performance experiments.

IMO the HDR on the PC version is flashier and better looking, but it probably depends on the graphics card. I'm eager to see what kinds of gains I'll get once someone hacks the new NVIDIA drivers to work with the laptop cards.