LCVG
Cyberwoo

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion Part II

Well, I just started Oblivion for the very first time, last night.

...and I thought Morrowind was good....

This is just freaking amazing and I haven't seen jack shit yet! Made my way out of the sewers, found the ruins across the river and ended up being down in there for somewhere around 2-3 hours! The first dungeon was bigger than just about any of the ones I explored in Morrowind!!!!

Played 'till 6am, and was literally falling asleep with the controller in my hand. Haven't even made it half way to the Priory to find Geoffrey....

I will be absorbed into this world for a long long time.

...and just think, there is a good chance that there will even be a expansion pack or two!??!

Absolutely satisified with this collectors edition purchase so far. Bethsoft has REALLY outdone themselves this time and....I feel sorry for them.

What the hell are they going to have to do for Elder Scrolls V??!?!?!

I've got a question about Oblivion: is there some way to manipulate world objects with your hand? I remember seeing an early demo in the jail cell where the guy showing off the game actually grabbed one of those chains and moved it around.

Is this possible? Are you able to pick stuff up and move it without actually adding it to your inventory and then dropping it randomly on the ground?

On the 360 version when a character uses Chameleon there is a visible effect like a watery "Predator" shape. You can still tell its a character by the shape but' date=' it sounds like what your describing. I'm guessing its the same "look" on both systems with maybe the PC having a few options that may lessen the effect for performance gains.

Edit: Yea, what Wetwork said :)[/quote']

OK, sounds like i am doing ok then. i was just used to how Chameleon looked in morrowind, where your charecter was just semi-transparent. (not really chameleon at all i guess)

I've got a question about Oblivion: is there some way to manipulate world objects with your hand? I remember seeing an early demo in the jail cell where the guy showing off the game actually grabbed one of those chains and moved it around.

Is this possible? Are you able to pick stuff up and move it without actually adding it to your inventory and then dropping it randomly on the ground?

On the Xbox 360 version you'll use the left bumper to manipulate objects Derrick.

Since I posted this question in the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion Part I thread right before it got locked and only got one reply I thought I'd ask this again incase it got missed.

Has anyone had a lockup where a blade pops up saying disk read error make sure disk isn't dirty? I've gotten it twice after 60+hours of play and the disk doesn't have a smudge on it. Also I've had my 360 just freeze up several times while playing. I tried the hold "a" button when starting the game to see if that would help to no avail, and I don't think it's a heat issue since the air flow on my 360 is unrestricted. I'm just wanting to know if I might have a bad 360/game disk or is the disk read error/random lock up thing par for the course for everyone.

Thanks.

Has anyone had a lockup where a blade pops up saying disk read error make sure disk isn't dirty? I've gotten it twice after 60+hours of play and the disk doesn't have a smudge on it. Also I've had my 360 just freeze up several times while playing. I tried the hold "a" button when starting the game to see if that would help to no avail, and I don't think it's a heat issue since the air flow on my 360 is unrestricted. I'm just wanting to know if I might have a bad 360/game disk or is the disk read error/random lock up thing par for the course for everyone.

Thanks.

I've not no. I've had one lockup with the game and that was loading into one of the rooms in the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary. Anytime I start to notice heavy stuttering when loading in outdoor areas, or overly long load times I simply turn the 360 off with the disc still in the Xbox and then boot it back up holding the A button. It clears the cache out and I can tell the game is recaching certain assets since I get mini-stutter for a bit and then all is well.

Ok, I didn't want this to get lost in a very long topic so here it is.

Go to the Imperial City, Talos district, and find "Dorian's House" wait till dark and break in, I would suggest saving before you pick the lock to his house, and after you get in, after you are in find Dorian, Talk to him and bribe him as much as you can, after doing that kill him and make sure he doesn't leave the house(this is why you save when you get in), after you kill him search his body the gold on him never goes away and you can just keep taking as much as you wan't.

I would suggest taking atleast 500,000 or even more becuase his body will go away after a few hours of game play.

There are other gold "glitches" as well. While it sounds like fun being able to buy what ever you want, personally, it's something I'm not interested in doing. It would just ruin the game for me.

You can also pick up some telekinesis spells later on that will let you do this to remote objects. It's pretty fun using it to steal items from stores in broad daylight (remote manipulating them to somewhere that you can put it into inventory without being seen). I just wish there was a way to cancel the spell early instead of waiting for it to expire.

Ok, I didn't want this to get lost in a very long topic so here it is.

Understood, but we probably should keep it within the confines of this discussion anyway.

Threads merged.

For instance, as a member of the Dark Brotherhood I may get a contract to kill a certain character who may have wronged another person in the world. I go about my duties and eliminate my target. What if the person I eliminated was a high ranking member of the Thieves Guild. The Thieves Guild in turn does some investigating and is able to discover some information as to my appearance and if I interact with a member of the guild they may question me about my activities. This could lead to some nice situations where you'll need to use your persuasion and personality skills to get out of a sticky situation. At the end of the day though, having completed the contract for the Dark Brotherhood makes it very difficult for you to remain a member of the Thieves Guild for very long so it would force you as a player to make hard decisions about which Guild you will end up joining.

During the Next of Kin quest for the Dark Brotherhood, the mother had some strong connections with the Thieves guild and Mages Guild. Because while trying to attack her, I accidently attempted to steal from her and a pop up came up saying I've been ejected from the Thieves Guild and banned from the Mages Guild. I have no clue what happened or what I did. It may have even been her property food and not her.

I was talking to nightwing the other night on live, and he said he joined the Blades, now I'm a bit further along in the main quest and want to join the blades very badly, but I was unable to join them, has anyone else joined the Baldes and know if they are any requirments to join? I should probably note that I am a Silencer in the Dark brotherhood and have stolen some weapons and armor from the Baldes.

I joined as part of the main quest.

After you bring the last son of Tameriel to some holy fort, I was told of an amulet somewhere that I must go grab...blah blah blah....that's when I went off to do my own thing. But before I did, I talked to the main man involved in moving Sean Bean to safety and he invited me to join the Blades. Even gave me a katana.

Since then, I've gone pretty high up on the Dark Brotherhood with no consequences whatsoever.

I forgot I even joined the thing until you mentioned it.

A couple of tips:

1. Alchemy is a great way to powerlevel. I pushed my 360 character up to lvl 10 within a few hours because I didn't want to spend time hauling iron armor around and selling it for 20 gold. Basically, go to the imperial city and buy TONS of food/ingredients from alchemy shops, taverns, inns, etc. Then make hundreds of potions and sell them. You'll gain levels quickly and also make a profit. For each level, I put a point in INT with a 5X multiplier, a point in luck since it can't get multipliers, and I spent money on training another skill to get a 2-3X multiplier for the third stat.

2. If you get weighed down inside a dungeon, keep in mind that you can pick something up and carry it around without it adding to your encumberance. For example, if you find an 88lb warhammer, you can take it to the dungeon entrance without putting it in your inventory.

How many guilds can one character belong to?

I'm in the Blades, Fighters Guild, and Mages Guilds. Will I run into conflicts at some point or does it not matter?

Basically, go to the imperial city and buy TONS of food/ingredients from alchemy shops, taverns, inns, etc. Then make hundreds of potions and sell them.

That sounds like a great idea. The only problem I have is that I don't know how to make potions from ingredients. Where/how do I learn that?

That sounds like a great idea. The only problem I have is that I don't know how to make potions from ingredients. Where/how do I learn that?

You can make potions as long as you have a mortar and pestle. Just click it in your inventory and you'll be taken to the alchemy screen. If you have an alembic or the other two alchemy tools, I think it improves your potions. Basically it's pretty hard to mess up, the game won't let you combine ingredients that don't work. Combine ingredients that have similar effects to make potions. At first only the first effect will matter, but as your alchemy skill advances you can use the other effects.

Also, another way to make quick money from alchemy is to take the alchemy equipment from the mages guilds and sell it right back to them. There's tons of it laying around, it respawns, and I can usually haggle pretty well with the resident alchemists.

Also, another way to make quick money from alchemy is to take the alchemy equipment from the mages guilds and sell it right back to them. There's tons of it laying around, it respawns, and I can usually haggle pretty well with the resident alchemists.

I was doing that as well and then started feeling bad. It was like I was grabbing something from her table and selling to her. I know, weird that I would feel bad, but I kind of like being poor and being forced to make decisions.

All I did last night was advance my thieves' guild and dark brotherhood quests.

Quick question of opinion, I guess: I gained so much xp last night that even after I slept I had another "level up" icon within about 10 minutes. I haven't slept yet, as I feel jumping a level kind of hurts me. I'd rather use my 5 training slots and see what monsters are spawned at this level. Does anyone else do this, or do you just level? What are the pros and cons of leveling or not leveling? Do I stick with the lower level monsters and weapons (that I just bought!) or level up and just go for it?

I like to level and deal with the consequences of leveling.

It always feels like a milestone to have gained a level... But maybe that's just me.

Does anyone else do this, or do you just level? What are the pros and cons of leveling or not leveling?

The pros to leveling are that your attributes will increase which in turn improves the skills those attributes govern. The biggest con to leveling is that enemies scale to your level so if you're not working up the proper skills you can easily find yourself coming up against creatures that you'll have a hard time defeating.

Keep in mind that leveling isn't exactly something you need to rush towards. If you want to play the game from a stats perspective, you'll want to maximize the amount of bonuses you get every level. That means using skills you may not normally want to use. The x5 multiplier is what you technically want to have to get ahead of the curve. So if you want the x5 multiplier in say strength, you'll want work up any combination of block, hand to hand, blade, blunt etc. 5 times before you actually level. Yes, these stack as well so if you level up Block twice it counts towards that number. The point here is to work the hell out of your minor skills before you tick your major skills enough to actually gain a level. This will give you the x5 multipliers and push your character progress further.

Personally, this can turn the game into a stat grind rather than actually playing the game and your character as you really want to. It's useful to to keep this strategy in mind to maximize your main skills/attributes as Bling mentions above. I tend to work some magic schools I have little interest in so that I can maximize my Intelligence which will help the Mage side of my character in the long run. Practice makes perfect afterall. Though you may have no interest in Blunt weapons, it may be a good idea to use them every once awhile to maximize your strength attribute which will help your main skill focus. It's a balancing act, but it's easy enough to tell when you're playing the game for enjoyment or just grinding through skills to get a multiplier.

I "hold levels" myself... I make sure I use all 5 of my training slots per level and I finish any small or local dungeon quests before I rest and level up (which is why I'm still only level 5 :) ). This means that my spell list and abilities (Vampire Mage) usually outweigh my opponents and makes most baddies a one shot kill with some exceptions. This may be good or bad depending on how you want to play but, I enjoy being a super powered mage for my level. And don't misunderstand: I'ts not like the game is suddenly alot easier. I still die in dungeons and Oblivion Gates and such, especially when I get ganged up on but, it feels more "strategic" to me this way. Like "I have the ability to win this fight if I can just figure out how to take this set of baddies on... (Stealth, Area damage, Etc.)"

To each their own...

When you level, do you tend to advance the skills ONLY that govern your major skills?

You only level by advancing your MAJOR skills. The amount of multiplier is determined by the amount of times you level a set of skills that particular attribute controls BEFORE you level. Hence why you want to work your minor skills to boost that multiplier if that makes sense.

The amount of multiplier is determined by the amount of times you level a set of skills that particular attribute controls BEFORE you level. Hence why you want to work your minor skills to boost that multiplier if that makes sense.

Okay, I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. How do these multipliers work? I'm totally confused. Yes, I've read the guide but it glosses over this stuff. It's annoying. I feel lost.

For instance, I spent some time yesterday trying to get my illusion skill above 40 so I can become journeyman before level 5 and get chameleon and night eye (which I have no idea how to get, either, but that's problem #2). Well, I got it to 40. Nothing. Then 41. Nothing. Then 42. Do I need to go to a journeyman trainer to do this right?

Also, when i train with a trainer, is that just paying to nudge that skill up a point? Is it the same as naturally upping that skill (i.e. casting the spell enough to level it up?).

Keep in mind I was never big on D&D and I mostly have played more linear JRPGs, so I apologize for the pedestrian questions. It's just that I want to play this game right as I really enjoy it. I just don't have the wester RPG base that I think many of you do.

...and I hate math.