LCVG
Cyberwoo

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion Part II

I haven't slept yet, as I feel jumping a level kind of hurts me. I'd rather use my 5 training slots and see what monsters are spawned at this level. Does anyone else do this, or do you just level? What are the pros and cons of leveling or not leveling? Do I stick with the lower level monsters and weapons (that I just bought!) or level up and just go for it?

You're putting way too much thought into this, just play the game. It's balanced fine, there isn't any need to strategize the timing of your level-ups. I don't see any reason to deliberately slow your progress because the items found at low levels are all garbage. It isn't even really worth doing dungeons until you're at a level where you can reasonably expect a good enchanted item from the final chest/boss mob of the dungeon.

The only things I think are worth worrying about are:

1. If you plan to max out your luck, put a point in every level since you can't get a multiplier for it.

2. Raise endurance early, regardless of class. At level up, your HP is increased by 1/10 of your endurance. That means leveling with low endurance does long term damage to your maximum HP.

3. Work on getting Armorer to 50 ASAP. This works well with #2 since the governing stat is endurance. IMO there is a certain level range in the game that is a bit unbalanced. When you're first starting to get enchanted armor with stat boosts, it unfortunately breaks very quickly in combat and lasts nowhere near long enough to finish a dungeon. If you can't repair it on the fly yourself, you can get pretty screwed. That goes double for weapons. I had to carry around 2 swords and 2 bows for a while.......standard weapons that I could repair myself mid-dungeon, and magic weapons for the tougher mobs.

You only level by advancing your MAJOR skills. The amount of multiplier is determined by the amount of times you level a set of skills that particular attribute controls BEFORE you level. Hence why you want to work your minor skills to boost that multiplier if that makes sense.

I've noticed that the cutoff point for multipliers is actually when you get the 10th point on your level bar, not when you actually go to sleep and gain the level. Anything gained after the level bar is full, but before you officially gain the level, goes towards the next level's multipliers. Oblivion is different from Morrowind in that regard.

Well, I got it to 40. Nothing. Then 41. Nothing. Then 42.

This would be because Journeyman is 50.

I've noticed that the cutoff point for multipliers is actually when you get the 10th point on your level bar, not when you actually go to sleep and gain the level. Anything gained after the level bar is full, but before you officially gain the level, goes towards the next level's multipliers. Oblivion is different from Morrowind in that regard.

Right, and that may be why Josh is a bit confused over my statements so thanks for clarifying that Bling..

Also, when i train with a trainer, is that just paying to nudge that skill up a point? Is it the same as naturally upping that skill (i.e. casting the spell enough to level it up?).

Correct. Keep in mind that training with a trainer also counts towards your multiplier. So you could concievably work up your minor skills and subsequently your multipliers by paying the trainers. Of course, the game balances this by only allowing you train five times per any given level.

For instance, I spent some time yesterday trying to get my illusion skill above 40 so I can become journeyman before level 5 and get chameleon and night eye (which I have no idea how to get, either, but that's problem #2). Well, I got it to 40. Nothing. Then 41. Nothing. Then 42. Do I need to go to a journeyman trainer to do this right?

You don't need to speak to a Journeyman trainer to become a Journeyman in a skill. You will naturally graduate to that level once you work the skill up enough. 40 isn't enough to be considered a Journeyman in Illusion. You may need to work the skill up to 50/60 to graduate to that level (I'd have to look to see what the exact cut off is).

Also, you don't necessarily need to be a Journeyman to use spells that grant Night Eye and Chameleon. You only need 25 in Illusion to use Void Stalker or Eyes of Eventide which grant Night Eye on self for 240 and 90 seconds respectively (feel free to correct me on those numbers too since I'm going by memory). Simply talk to one of the Mage Guild members that sells Illusion spells that grant those affects and make sure you meet the minimum requirements to use them.

When you level, do you tend to advance the skills ONLY that govern your major skills? I have been doing this so far...

I said that wrong -

When you level, do you tend to advance the attributes ONLY that govern your major skills? I have been doing this so far...

The "Balanced Character Creation Guide" over at GameFAQs is a good read.

Seems a little crazy to me how this game allows a single character to do everything.

Seems a little crazy to me how this game allows a single character to do everything.

Well, what's funny is that Oblivion is actually more balanced in that regard than Morrowind. The skills you selected off the bat really meant very little in Morrowind because you could just go to a trainer and pay money to train your skills up as much as possible. Training was ridiculously cheap and easy to do in Morrowind. The limits the trainers have here in this game (and the higher cost of training) make that harder to do overall. You could theoretically work all of your skills up over time, but it's a bit more difficult to cheap your way to that goal this time around which is a good thing. It makes the initial skill selection a bit more valid and useful.

Ugh this game is already causing me to lose sleep. I just worked my normal 12 hour shift, went grocery shopping @ 7am, walked the dog from 8 - 8:30 and played Oblivion for 3 straight hours. I'm just now heading to bed. I'll be lucky to get 5 hours of sleep. I really need to find a way to keep myself from playing this on days I work. It just isn't healthy. :)

Anyway I did a few quests this morning and am currently back in the city looking for some guy who might know where to begin my search for the amulet. The guy at the place I was spose to go to doesn't seem to like me well enough to talk about the city. Do I need to trigger this conversation in order to progress the story? I'm confused what to do next.

The guy at the place I was spose to go to doesn't seem to like me well enough to talk about the city. Do I need to trigger this conversation in order to progress the story? I'm confused what to do next.

Persuade. You'll need to play the mini-game (or just bribe them) and get his persuasion up high enough to have him speak to you. Anytime you have someone say they don't know you well enough or don't like you enough to discuss something; they need to be persuaded. Getting an NPC's disposition up to 60-70 is usually enough to get them talking.

The guy at the place I was spose to go to doesn't seem to like me well enough to talk about the city.

Persuasion and bribery often helps. Not saying that's what you have to do, but I've often been able to get people's disposition up enough to spill the beans to me.

Well, what's funny is that Oblivion is actually more balanced in that regard than Morrowind. The skills you selected off the bat really meant very little in Morrowind because you could just go to a trainer and pay money to train your skills up as much as possible. Training was ridiculously cheap and easy to do in Morrowind. The limits the trainers have here in this game (and the higher cost of training) make that harder to do overall. You could theoretically work all of your skills up over time, but it's a bit more difficult to cheap your way to that goal this time around which is a good thing. It makes the initial skill selection a bit more valid and useful.

I'm finding the game pretty balanced with putting a point in Luck every level. It makes the character a bit weaker over the short term and forces specialization. My lvl 19 Redguard rogue-type character pretty much cannot go toe to toe in melee with a hard hitting enemy unless Adrenaline Rush is up, and also has very neglible magic. However, with a combination of high stealth and marksmanship, I'm able to hide well enough and zoom in from such a distance that I can often get multiple triple damage sneak attack shots. Every once in a while I'll get a bunch of strong enemies after me and they've actually chased me all the way out of the dungeon. However, I pwn them all Counterstrike-style in the open area with spinning/jumping/backpedaling shots.

The other character was supposed to be a battlemage type continuation of my Neverarine character from Morrowind. In the first few levels, I went toe to toe using a combination of blade/restoration/destruction and it worked pretty well. I used alchemy to tack on about 10 levels and I suddenly found out that I was no longer a battlemage when I got rocked by a mountain lion in 4 hits trying to use the original play style. My once powerful melee and magic skills barely scratched it, and I was wondering if I had screwed my character over. Next reload, I tested out some of my new poisons on the lion and it was quickly subdued. It caused me to realize that this game has a lot of room for succeeding through unconventional character builds. In this case, my character had become so skewed towards alchemy that I was helpless without it.

It sure has me wondering about the other possibilities. Is it viable to survive using only conjured equipment and monsters to fight for you? What if I put all my energies towards mastering Block so I can use shield bash to disarm enemies? With the new skill mastery system, it seems like it's possible to skew your character towards a very narrowly defined build and still succeed. Want to go straight up armorer? The sacrafices you make in developing your other skills can be counteracted by the ability to upgrade your weapons and armor past their original 100 durability stat.

Yeah, there's a lot in the way of different specializations you can do here and experiment with. My character just reached level 14 tonight and I'm starting to find the encounters nice and challenging now. This character remains a heavy stealth Assassin with good magic support and decent blade skills. Light armor is the order of the day and I'm definitely finding it difficult to go toe to toe melee wise with stronger enemies. Enemies with heavey two handed battle axes and swords can really do a number on me quickly, but much like yourself my sneak and marksman abilities let me get some good bonus shots in followed by some nasty destruction spells. Trying to keep this particular character balanced makes for some hard decisions because I would love to just specialize in one main area of attack but I'm finding the way I've been handling thing gives me more variety and fun.

Also, I know it's been a hot topic on the main forums but I'm still a fan of the level scaling. I'm starting to get glass drops now which is exciting and enemies are starting to use better spells and armor in general. It's definitely keeping me on my toes which I really like. We'll see how things unfold as I move higher up in level.

I finished off the Collector quest tonight and bought my shiny new home in Cheydinhal along with most of the furnishing. All in all I spent near 25k and have a good 10k left over so I have to start rebuilding my bank which shouldn't take but a few dungeon raids to get done. I'm utterly freaking relieved to finally a place to store my items. I unloaded a bunch of enchanted items and armor sets I wanted to save in case I wanted to change specializations later. Still no progress on the main quest and I can't say I'm in any hurry yet. I'm completely addicted to this.

It sure has me wondering about the other possibilities. Is it viable to survive using only conjured equipment and monsters to fight for you?

This is somewhat the strategy I'm taking. I'm using a mod on the PC that allows you to have up to 10 monsters summoned at a time (usually I only have about 3 or 4 because it takes so much magicka, and you can't have duplicates of the same summon either), so I send them into battle while I hide in the shadows and snipe away with my bow and arrow. Those bandits and marauders never knew what hit them. ;)

I'm utterly freaking relieved to finally a place to store my items. I unloaded a bunch of enchanted items and armor sets I wanted to save in case I wanted to change specializations later. Still no progress on the main quest and I can't say I'm in any hurry yet. I'm completely addicted to this.

Just one house? I think I have three. Two were "given" to me and one I purchased for dirt cheap (for a reason too!).

What I do for fun sometimes is ransack people's homes. I'm a vampire so I need to feed on people, but if no one is home and I broke a few lock picks trying to get in, I tear the place apart and throw everything as far as I can. Too bad the NPCs don't react to the mess as I'd like to see their reaction.

Also, I know it's been a hot topic on the main forums but I'm still a fan of the level scaling. I'm starting to get glass drops now which is exciting and enemies are starting to use better spells and armor in general. It's definitely keeping me on my toes which I really like. We'll see how things unfold as I move higher up in level.

The one thing that really bothers me about it is the repetitive feel it gives the game. It takes away a lot of the mystery and excitement Morrowind had. There was something to be said for venturing deep into a dungeon, only to come across some godly NPC with a legendary item. The process to get the Daedric Crescent in Morrowind for example, was pretty surreal(especially since I didn't use a guide and had no idea what I was working towards). From what I understand about Oblivion, the legendary items come from doing quests at the various shrines, which seems boring compared to Morrowind.

I haven't found anything good in people's houses yet either, so my urge to explore is pretty supressed. I looked EVERYWHERE in Morrowind since there was no telling what there would be in someone's dresser.

Just one house? I think I have three. Two were "given" to me and one I purchased for dirt cheap (for a reason too!).

I've not been in a hurry to buy one. I've had ample opportunity and I've had the money to buy several cheaper places (like that shit 2,000 shack on the Waterfront) but I was dead set on buying the house in Cheydinhal so I saved enough cash to to buy it, furnish it, and still have plenty of money left over to remain comfortable. I'm glad I did too since the Cheydinhal house is very nice. Two stories, very pleasant in appearance and it looks lovely furnished.;)

I've not done the Haunted House quest or any of the others that will "give" me a house as of yet (I do have the Haunted House quest in my journal) as I've been avoiding standalone quests for the most part. The Collector and Umbacano's storylines are the only ones I've cared to finish since the payout was excellent and allowed me to buy the house I wanted. All the rest of my time has been devoted to Dark Brotherhood/Mage Guild quests which I plan to get back to tonight.

Is the only way to level up Marksman by shooting someone with an arrow while in stealth mode?

Don't have to be stealthed, no.

so those practice targets are a waste then, right?

Surely not. i can't imagine Bethesda putting so many of those targets and mele dummies in the game without them serving a purpose. it's only logical that they increase your skills... but who knows. anyone tested this?

I've not been in a hurry to buy one. I've had ample opportunity and I've had the money to buy several cheaper places (like that shit 2,000 shack on the Waterfront) but I was dead set on buying the house in Cheydinhal so I saved enough cash to to buy it, furnish it, and still have plenty of money left over to remain comfortable.

Hey, don't be calling my house a shit shack. You upper class snobs in Cheydinhal need to be taught a lesson. Good thing this isn't a MMO. I'd break into your house, eat your mutton, cast a paralyze spell and use you as a pin cushion for my poison arrows. :D

Hey, don't be calling my house a shit shack. You upper class snobs in Cheydinhal need to be taught a lesson. Good thing this isn't a MMO. I'd break into your house, eat your mutton, cast a paralyze spell and use you as a pin cushion for my poison arrows.

:lmfao You'd have find me first. I'll be too busy sneaking behind your low society ass getting ready to slice your throat. Oh, and I don't have mutton. I'll be dealing some skooma from my high society "my shit don't stink" home.;)

(God we really do need an MMO on Live soon. Just for the shit talking..:lmfao )