LCVG
Cyberwoo

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Post-Release Discussion Part II

By the way' date=' Bethesda already has previews up of the other DLC that they have planned for Oblivion. You can bet these will be appearing on the Live marketplace for the same price point as the horse armor:

https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

Ne-he-tow-ho. I dig that wizard's tower...

Bethesda are going to make obscene amounts of dollars by the time this game has run its course. *newsflash*

Also, for anyone that thinks there isn't enough to discover and explore....here's a full map with every location in the game marked:

[ATTACH]1259[/ATTACH]

:thud

Sweet! Thanks for the map. I won't use it to explore, but I can check off the areas that I've cleared. I really wish we had the ability to make notes in the game as I hate discovering a new location then thinking that I'll never remember whether I cleared it or not, so I better do it now.

The map will sure be helpful.

Mildly humorous occurence last night. I finally reached Cheydinhal (I didn't backtrack and get my horse... don't really need one right now) and started looking around. Got my Fighter's Guild quest, then wandered a bit more and found the mage's guild. Yay! I wanted to get both of them on track as I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades character in a fighter-mage-thief, so I got my Mage's Guild quest

trying to get the ring out of the well. So, I find the well and hop in. After the loading screen I find myself under water and I realize I should probably use whatever spell was given to me. Aha! Bouyancy! Arm it and... cast! You need 25 skill in Whatever to cast this spell. Oh shit. I have... 11. Not going to cut it. So, I (not so) slowly drown as I struggle to get back out of the well and die before doing it. :) Upon reloading back in the well again I thought I was screwed but figured out how to exit before drowning this time.

So, I guess I need to work on the minor skill -- I think it's minor for my character -- for Alteration in order to succeed in this quest, yes? So I'll need to find a place to buy some Novice Alteration spells and practice them or get training in Alteration? Or both, I suppose.

Buy the Alteration skill "Protect". It's extremely cheap to cast and you can spam the hell out of it to build your Alteration skill very quickly.

So I have a Crime & Punishment question. Twice now, I've been confronted by guards and accused of being a criminal and forced to pay a fine or go to jail. The first time it was no big deal, 40g. This second time the fine was 1000g! I'm not sure what I even did wrong. I've never had the game warn me that what I was doing was considered criminal, and I've not taken anything that produces a red cursor.

Question: Does looting the corpse of a fallen comrade count as stealing? Granted it's probably frowned upon, but I'm of the "hey they ain't gonna be using it any time soon" school.

That's the only thing I can think of at all...

Any ideas? Any way to find out what I'm accused of doing when this happens?

Could be almost anything... tresspassing would be my first guess since you don't have any stolen items on you. Or, if you murdered someone and hung out with the corpse a little too long. After I kill someone I make a point to take what I need and never go back.

I really wish we had the ability to make notes in the game as I hate discovering a new location then thinking that I'll never remember whether I cleared it or not, so I better do it now.

Good old real life pen & paper helps ;)

Buy the Alteration skill "Protect". It's extremely cheap to cast and you can spam the hell out of it to build your Alteration skill very quickly.

Excellent. :tu

Oh and I finally reached level 2 last night. :o I don't get the gaming time I used to and I'm definitely taking my time with this one.

You must have set off some type of alarm Joel. If you're a member of the Thieves Guild you could always talk to the person that initiated you into the guild (can't remember his name but he usually appears in the Waterfront district at midnight) and pay him to clear any bounty on your head. He'll do it for a fraction of the cost it takes to clear your name legitimately.

Oooh. Thanks for the Alteration skill advice. I just learned a spell that will let me unlock anything medium or less, but my alteration skill is like a 5 or something. I'll pick up that Protect spell two times quick tonight. :)

Can I say how much I hate picking locks?

Glen

As I mentioned in the other thread, lock pickng is a piece of cake for me, but the persuasion is annoying. After reading the thread AND the manual, I think I finally got the hang of it. I just did the mission with the corrupt Imperial Captain and the shops and I had to persuade people to testify. With very little gold coins, I could not bribe them. With my vampire seduction skills, it was not enough.....so I kinda forced myself to learn it.

And speaking of vampires....I joined the Bloodlines group ("honorary member") and I am now a vampire vampire-hunter. It's the only way I could kick my Buffy/Angel obsession. But I may just end up killing the whole group and become the sole member, just because I like the Glass-claymore sword one of the folks are carrying.

just because I like the Glass-claymore sword one of the folks are carrying.

What level are you James? At 19 I'm seeing Glass Claymore drops quite frequently now. You may want to spare them and see if you can get one the old fashioned way. Joining the group lets you sell Vampire Dust for a nice bit of money. A good bit more than what it would normally sell for. I've been taking advantage of thier generosity for a bit now myself.;) It's nice to keep that option open.

So, the higher quality, kick ass weapons that I grew used to when I was THE man on Vvardenfell, are tied into your level in Oblivion?

Can't I find some awesome piece of armor/weaponry as a lowly level 10 Crusader? Best I have so far is Orcish armor and a nice, meaty silver warhammer...which suck compared to what I had on "the island".

So, the higher quality, kick ass weapons that I grew used to when I was THE man on Vvardenfell, are tied into your level in Oblivion?

For the most part, yes. There are specific areas where you can find some pieces of armor/weaponry through completing a quest or killing a specific higher level character (So, yeah you can still get ahold of some nasty weaponry early on). However, when the game scales enemies to your level it provides them with higher quality armor and weapons. So if you battled a Dark Elf Warrior in a dungeon at level 2 and he was wearing Fur Leather Armor, at level 20 you may find another Dark Elf warrior there wearing full Elven Armor now. Instead of carrying a steel claymore, he may be carrying an enchanted glass claymore in its place.

which suck compared to what I had on "the island".

Well, the negative side is that you won't be pushing a full set of Glass Armor and high powered weaponry at level 10 in this game. The positive is that you won't own every enemy in the game without breaking a sweat like we did on "the island".;)

So if you battled a Dark Elf Warrior in a dungeon at level 2 and he was wearing Fur Leather Armor, at level 20 you may find another Dark Elf warrior there wearing full Elven Armor now. Instead of carrying a steel claymore, he may be carrying an enchanted glass claymore in its place.

I've noticed that the merchants tend to wear the same armor that I have. I just completed a sidequest and got a nice full set of chainmail out of the altercation (all perfectly legally, of course;) ). I went to the two dudes at "The Best Defense" shop in the Market District to sell my fur giddy-up and the ligh armor dealer had on a nearly identical set of chainmail. Nice touch...

If anyone ever desires money in this game, all you need to do is pick up alchemy. You can buy a boatload of ingredients in the imperial city (or elsewhere), spam the heck out of them to make any manner of potions, and sell them back right away for 2-10x what you paid. It only takes about 10 mins and can net you a grand at alchemy 50-100 easily. No glitch, just an easier path to getting some gold early on.

Plus this skill rocks. I'm at skill 65 now and some of the potions are really nice to have around.

The positive is that you won't own every enemy in the game without breaking sweat like we did on "the island

True. It did, in a way, get kind of old being death incarnate!

I was just hoping to get some serious weaponry/armor to help out a bit at this early stage in the game. :)

Would like to add that I'm really enjoying the fights MUCH more than Morrowind. While not perfect, it's pretty damn fun. I think Bethsoft made some definite improvements. It's great listening to the heavy clanking, timing your blocks, waiting for a good opening, whipping out a spell or two, hiding behind your shield, ect. Far cry from how it used to be.

Here's a quick question: when you hold your shield in front of you, waiting for your enemy to take a whack at you, does it add to increasing your block skill...or, do you only increase in blocking skill when you perfectly time your block by leaving your shield at your side and waiting for the right time to bring it up into play?

Would like to add that I'm really enjoying the fights MUCH more than Morrowind. While not perfect, it's pretty damn fun. I think Bethsoft made some definite improvements.

I don't know what level of mastery you're at with your main attack skill (block, blunt, or hand to hand) but there's some real nice strategy as you build your skill up. With Blade you eventually get a disarm attack, a knockdown, and a paralyze. I've not gotten the paralyze as of yet, but there's some decent timing involved in getting a disarm attack in, picking up the enemies weapon leaving them defenseless, then following that up with a knockdown and just slashing the living crap out of them. It's very, very fun.:D

Here's a quick question: when you hold your shield in front of you, waiting for your enemy to take a whack at you, does it add to increasing your block skill...or, do you only increase in blocking skill when you perfectly time your block by leaving your shield at your side and waiting for the right time to bring it up into play?

I believe a weapon/arrow needs to make contact with your shield for the skill to increase. I've not read any confirmation on that, but it's what I've observed from my time playing sword and board early on.

You can just hold your shield out and your skill will increase whenever it gets hit. Timing doesn't matter.

So how does one start the allies for bruma quest? I closed the Kvatch gate, but haven't done much beyond that yet. I think my (current) char is lvl 6.

Your a good little ways off from doing that, at some point in the quest Matin will start asking you to look for things you need so you can open a gate, and he will tell you to talk to Jauffre, Jauffre has two side quests(you get them one at a time) for you and the Allies for Bruma is one of them

Making a disarm move, then grabbing the weapon so they're defensless? PRICELESS!!! :tu

Haven't done that one yet. Talk about a real, "fuck you", in a battle! :D

I'm still low level (level 10 Nord Crusader). Looking forward to that cool stuff.

For what it's worth, I absolutely suck at the influence minigame. My lockpicking skills leave alot to be desired too. :(

I entered my 3rd Oblivion gate last night up around Bruma, and the architecture on the hell side of this gate is very, very impressive. I can't imagine the amount of work the level designers had to do. It looks just too damn complicated for me...in a good way!