foogledricks

Will you buy the GTA bundle?  

1. 1. Will you buy the GTA bundle?

• Yes - Never played these games before
    • Yes - Played them before, but want the enhanced XBOX versions
    • No - Owned them on the PS2 or PC
    • No - Not interested in this series
    • Maybe - Waiting to see reviews of True Crime
    • Maybe - I played one, but not the other, and am not sure if the bundle is worth it

It depends what the "enhancements" will be. If it means 16 x 9 mode, better visuals, and most importantly, much smoother framerates I'm up for it.

Just to clarify, those aren't things I normally hold as very important, but under the circumstances, they are. I've already played Vice City to death and I only played about 50% of the core missions in GTA3, which I want to finish (but don't own). So the only good motivation for me to buy the 2 pack is if the enhancements make it worthwhile, along with the chance to finish GTA3.

However, I have conveniently ignored the possibility of picking up GTA3 alone on PC for cheap...

This pack will be most appealing to those who've always lusted for a GTA3 game, but own neither a PS2 nor a decent PC.

Originally posted by Sam P@Sep 24 2003, 05:47 AM

It depends what the "enhancements" will be. If it means 16 x 9 mode, better visuals, and most importantly, much smoother framerates I'm up for it.

I take it you're comparing to the PC version, then? Because both PS2 games have 16x9 modes already. On the framerate issue, I can't recommend highly enough that you turn off 'trails' in the options while you're turning on your newly discovered 16x9 option. Trails decrease both (in my opinion) the graphical quality, and framerate.

On the framerate issue, I can't recommend highly enough that you turn off 'trails' in the options while you're turning on your newly discovered 16x9 option. Trails decrease both (in my opinion) the graphical quality, and framerate.

I knew about trails. My comments on slowdown takes into account a game running without trails.

However, I ought to go turn 16 x 9 on. :oops:

Although I've never actually seen them, is there any chance that I won't like these game? Does anyone not like these games?

You've never seen GTA3 or VC in action?? Wow.

Yes, it's possible to not like them, not everyone does, despite their huge sales.

I'll be buying the double pack for the Xbox.

An interesting option for the poll would be "Already own the PS2 games, but will be buying the Xbox pack....".

-Big maybe here, I played the orignal a bit, liked it at the time. But like Keith, I've never played or seen GTA3 or Vice.

- So, How will time change my opinion of the game play and genre? How will having played Mafia, a much more cinematic experience -IMHO, affect my view? What other games will be fighting for my attention at the time?

-One other factor to weigh, I could actually see myself picking up this pack if I found a good deal/offer, but we'll see???

Ah, I see Brian. I keep forgetting that just because the only way I get to really play games is to buy them, this isn't the case for most people.

Anyway, to answer the question, I'm perfectly happy with the PS2 versions, and can't be bothered to both start all over again and spend the cash just to play on the XBox instead.

If you want these games: pre-order them.

A lot of retailers suspect these GTA games have run their course on the PS2. They think that most of the interested gamers have already played the PS2 or PC versions and, as such, the Xbox version will be a moderate seller. As a result, many retailers categorize this as a 2nd tier game and aren't ordering as much. It may be tough to find without a pre-order.

• 3 weeks later...
720P support is a big incentive.

Bryan, I'm not sure if it's going to be in 720p anymore, unfortunately. Check out this interview from GameSpy yesterday.

"GameSpy: Will both games support high-definition progressive scan modes? If so, what's the maximum resolution supported?

Hannes Seifert: We upped the resolution for HDTV usage, enabling 480p support along with a 16:9 aspect ratio for widescreen TVs. The end result is a larger viewable frame that is considerably sharper. "

I hope it supports 720p. 480p isn't really a special feature, as it's pretty much a given on all Xbox games.