LCVG

Links 2004 discussion...

fishepa

I've been thinking about the live aspect of Links 2004 and it has brought me some questions. I'm assuming we'll be able to play with 4 players at one time, so how exactly is MS going to implement this? Is each person in the foursome going to have to watch the other tee-off and hit every other shot. It seems to me this would take FOREVER to get through 18 holes. If each hole is about 3-4 minutes, your looking at 54-72 minutes for a round of golf, and that's if everyone knows what their doing and can line up their shot relatively fast. I'm thinking a round of golf would take well over an hour. Is this feasible? That's a mighty long time if you ask me. Thoughts?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it would probably be no different than playing a round of Outlaw or Mario golf with 3 other friends sitting on your couch. You play 18, you know it's gonna take some time.

I would actually be quite dissapointed if it didn't work this way. Nothing will be better than heckling your friends after after they've made a horrid shot and that would be a lost opportunity if they implemented some way of speeding up the game. Golf to me has always been a slow paced social sport IRL, no reason it shouldn't be online too. Now if there was only some sort of pretty girl driving the drink cart option.

I'm all for playing together and watching each swing. They can cut out the players wandering up to the teebox and just get to the action. I will be happy to devote 45 -60 minutes to a fun round of golf with you guys!

I hope there will be some different options available, but waiting my turn will be my preference most of the time.

I have played some online golf with the PC versions of Links in the past, and it seemed to move along well (although it was only with 2 people). One thing that can help speed up the game is gimmies, which most people tended to use online. If you get close enough to the hole, add a stroke and move on.

Does anyone know if Links will have a 3 click method as well as the tru-swing? I might like it more if I used it, but right now I'm just not a huge fan of it, especially with a joystick.

There has been surprisingly little information shared about Links. I wonder if MS thinks there isn't much demand for it? I can't wait to prove them wrong!

I have really high hopes for the gameplay modes and downloadable content. They could even start supplying user-created courses from the PC version as DLC. That would be fine with me! As I stated in an earlier thread, I would be absolutely happy to pay for new courses to be downloaded because I have been buying course disks since Links 386. I must have 20 floppy disks and 5-6 cd-roms.

-I would hope for many options, so on the days I feel like watching other players and jabber a lot I can do that, and the days I feel like hammering out a round while others simutaneously play the same holes/course I can do that as well.

I havne't played much golf with the tru-swing, so I personally perfer the three click method,... but I'll keep an open mind with regards to the controls.

-Can't wait for this game,... Last time I played a golf video game was back in college on the PS1,... many a late night added to my poor student status!

-I'm looking forward to an LCVG tourney of some type!

The only thing that I would hope they would do would be to follow the Mario Golf type style and mute the other people while you are swinging. That could be crazy mean. People cursing you out while you're swinging.

You could just turn down your headset volume when you tee off :green:

Originally posted by gwhinwi+Sep 29 2003, 02:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gwhinwi @ Sep 29 2003, 02:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-merlot@Sep 29 2003, 11:30 AM

You could just turn down your headset volume when you tee off :green:

Ugh. That's what people keep telling me to do when I get annoying people in games online.

Grrrrrr. :P

Glen [/b]

Couldn't you just "mute" them?