LCVG

Nintendo announces a new console

Adam Tyner

From http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=c...news&tkr=SNE:US :

Nintendo to Enter China's Video-Game Market With a New Console

September 24, 2003 13:01 EDT -- Nintendo Co., Japan's second-largest maker of video-game consoles, will enter China in October with a new video-game player specifically designed for a country where the illegal copying of software has kept game makers such as Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. at arm's length.

There's some more info on this from the-magicbox.

"- Nintendo announced they will launch a new console system exclusive to China in mid-October, called the iQue Player. The machine will retail for 498 Yuan (US$60). Games are stored on iQue Flash Memory Cards, which will retail for 48 Yuan (US$5.80) each. Game software can be purchased and download to the 64MB flash memory cards from game servers in licensed stores. Nintendo will offer 10 game titles at launch, include a Chinese version of Super Mario 64."

From the picture, it looks like the memory cards are inserted into the bottom of the controller (which looks surprisingly like a Dreamcast controller!). So it looks like the "console" itself is actually the controller, then?

• 1 month later...

Lik-Sang has a ton of new info and screenshots on the Nintendo iQue here.

--------------------------------------

Nintendo 64 Nano-Technology inside

It is now confirmed that the iQue player is a Nintendo 64 console that makes use of similar Nano-Technolgy that is used in Sony's PSX: the technology used will allow the unit to have a single chip solution containing CPU, Graphic Engine, GPU etc. Positive side-effects are a doubled operating speed, reduced electronic noises and very low power consumption. Regarding Nintendo/iQue spokespersons in China, the iQue will be the first gaming device on the market that makes use of that technology, followed by Sony's PSX which is due to release in December. This statement at least gives us hope that the unit might still be released before Christmas.

----------------------------------------

ique01.jpg

ique02.jpg

"included are 5 games, while only Doctor Mario is a full version. Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time (10 hours), Mario 64 (7 hours), Wave Race (1 hour) and Star Fox (1 hour) are time limited demo versions. It's a "very new" distribution system, indeed.

No other titles have been officially confirmed to us as of yet, but the N64 has got lots of great titles. Full versions of games cost 48 Yuan, that's approx US$ 6."

It's interesting to me how low they've priced the games. Considering the proliferation of pirated software that has already taken place in that country (parts of it, anyway), that's a good thing to keep people buying authentic.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Very smart on Nintendo's part. It reminds me of Universal dropping the list prices on their cd's. Why get a bootleg or go to the trouble of downloading it if you can get the real thing just as cheap, or maybe for a few bucks more?

Yeah, the pricing is a fascinating strategy, I hope it's successful if only to demonstrate that reduced money per title can be made up for with increased sales...maybe that idea will spread.

But then again, these are all older titles that have had their development costs already paid for.

I don't know if you guys noticed this in the article:

"The unit released first contains a 64MBytes Flash Card, the AV cable, a power supply (220V), the power cord and 5 games pre-recorded on the card. Included are 5 games, while only Doctor Mario is a full version. Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time (10 hours), Mario 64 (7 hours), Wave Race (1 hour) and Star Fox (1 hour) are time limited demo versions. It's a "very new" distribution system, indeed."

Hmm. Timed demo games! Reminds me of Divx... I'm not sure if this is something I would care to see become commonplace.

Well, a demo is a demo. You get what you pay for which, in this case, isn't a whole lot.

Very true, but I do enjoy collecting demos, and playing through them multiple times when they're good. That's something I would miss.

But for Nintendo's purposes, the timed demos will probably work well, as it will hook people in the game, which they can then download for a small amount of money.