LCVG

PS2 Component Cables

The Daisy

Hello all.

Thanks to a very smooth transaction with another LCVG'er, I am now the proud owner of cables for my 5th component device.

I have a question for those of you who have your PS2 hooked up through component cables. Did you see a difference right away? As for me, the screen looks much brighter, which I wasn't expecting.

The game images look better than the S-video cables that I was using for the longest time as well.

Any thoughts?

Glen

On my TV (Toshiba 42H81) the difference between component video and anything else is pretty dramatic, even in 480i mode. As others have mentioned, your TV will determine how much of a difference you see.

I have a question for those of you who have your PS2 hooked up through component cables. Did you see a difference right away? As for me, the screen looks much brighter, which I wasn't expecting.

Can I assume you have a progressive scan DVD player? If so, I assume that you calibrated it with the DVD in progressive scan mode. Try this out. Throw in Avia or Video Essentials (whichever one you have) and recalibrate the TV with the DVD player in interlace mode. You will probably find that all of your settings (perhaps with the exception of Sharpness) are off according to the test patterns on the disc. The reason the image looks "brighter" is because there is a difference in the light levels between progressive scan images and those in interlaced mode. Recalibrating the set will correct those differences and yield a much better picture.

Try it, and let me know how it turns out.

In some cases, games look a bit worse with the components since they render vividly any artifacts in the graphics, whereas with S-video you get a little smoothing blur. That said, I bought that $100 switch so I could get the PS2 on component because the color is better and sharpness is mostly a good thing.