LCVG

Question for Tivo owners

PoisonJam

I'm sure some of you trendy hipsters have Tivo--can someone answer a few questions about the service for me?

How do shows get recorded on the hard drive? Does the thing start from the beginning of the drive, record all the way to the end, and then start rewriting from the beginning again? So if you go away on vacation for a few weeks with a lot of stuff set to record, it's possible that some of it will be overwritten when you get back?

Is there way to flag a show that you don't want overwritten? Say, if your team makes it to the Super Bowl, or there's a particular movie that you'd like to save--can you tell Tivo to keep a particular show indefinitely?

Reason I ask is because Dish is going to start offering a HiDef receiver with a built-in hard drive that will allow people to record HD programming, and I'd like to be able to hang onto things like the Final Four or the Masters or something. Since I can't record HD onto a VCR, my only choice would be to leave it on the hard drive. Just wondering if that sort of stuff is possible?

Oh, and I know that the Dish receiver won't be made by Tivo, but I am assuming that the technology is similar.

Thanks!

How do shows get recorded on the hard drive?

For DirecTV, they stream the data to the hard drive while it is already compressed in the receiver. For stand-alone Tivo's, I think it is uncompressed to the TV and then compressed again to the Tivo. Stand-alone Tivo's also have quality settings such as best, better, and good. The best quality takes up more space on the hard drive, but the trade-off is the quality. The DirectTivo doesn't have these options, they record straight from the compressed stream, so quality is always best.

Does the thing start from the beginning of the drive, record all the way to the end, and then start rewriting from the beginning again?

Not sure.

So if you go away on vacation for a few weeks with a lot of stuff set to record, it's possible that some of it will be overwritten when you get back?

You can specify a program to "Save until I delete", which obviously the Tivo will save the program until you actually delete it.

Is there way to flag a show that you don't want overwritten? Say, if your team makes it to the Super Bowl, or there's a particular movie that you'd like to save--can you tell Tivo to keep a particular show indefinitely?

Use the "Save until I delete option".

I just got my DirecTivo about 2 weeks ago, so I'm still learning about it. But if you want more information, visit Tivo community. There is more information than you ever wanted to know about Tivo's on that site.

How do shows get recorded on the hard drive?

If you've got nothing recorded, then each program you set it to record will take a chunk of space, like a file would on a PC. As you tape more programs, more "filespace" is taken up. When it runs out of space, by default it will delete the oldest program that is not flagged as "save until I delete". If there are no programs it can delete, meaning no more space available, it just won't record the latest show.

Is there way to flag a show that you don't want overwritten?

Yes. We've got some episodes of one of my favourite British shows, "Men Behaving Badly", that we've had on our Tivo since Valentine's Day. They're flagged as "keep until I delete", which means Tivo will NOT touch them until we say so.

I have ReplayTV which also allows long-term archiving (I've yet to watch the Sopranos season finale), but it has the added feature of commercial skip, though this is being disabled in the newer models. If you can find an older ReplayTV, you can have the commercial skip and they often include the lifetime subscription plan for the tv guide. Plus, my ReplayTV doesn't think I'm gay.

Originally posted by adamsappel@Sep 25 2003, 03:33 PM

I have ReplayTV which also allows long-term archiving (I've yet to watch the Sopranos season finale), but it has the added feature of commercial skip, though this is being disabled in the newer models. If you can find an older ReplayTV, you can have the commercial skip and they often include the lifetime subscription plan for the tv guide. Plus, my ReplayTV doesn't think I'm gay.

I believe they are also disabling those features in the next OS update for all models.