LCVG

There are WAY too many good games coming out...

fishepa

Yup, there are too many good games coming out this Autumn/Winter, just like last year. It's going to be a bloodbath again for publishers, just like last year, and I'm sure a couple of big name projects that publishers were relying on selling extremely well for their yearly figures will flop, just like last year.

Sorry to be depressing.

And the year before, and the one before that, etc. etc.

The industry has got itself trapped into the idea that there are only two or three months in which released games will sell well, and consumers have similiarly got themselves into a habit whereby if a game isn't new this week then its not interesting. Its a self-perpetuating feedback, as nothing gets released the rest of the year and so no-one buys anything.

Personally, I'll be buying one or two titles that I really must have (PGR2 maybe, SCII should I find a good stick, or F-Zero if it actually makes it to the UK) and then grabbing the rest of the good stuff over the next 6 months when its offloaded cheap.

That's more or less my plan too, Iain. I'll be grabbing PGR2 for sure, and I'll probably get the GTA3 Xbox pack for Christmas, and apart from that, it'll be pure bargain hunting for me.

Even EA have said they expect this Christmas to be particularly bloodthirsty with, for example, the major UK retailers expected to have a nice price war going on.

I've decided that pre-Christmas purchases will be only consist of X-Box Return of the King, a US import of the new Player's Choice priced Metroid Prime for Gamecube and I will finally get Knights of the Old Republic once I sort out my current X-Box problem.

There are so many games I want over Christmas, but there are far more DVDs, and most of those DVDs will be special (thus, expensive) collector's set releases like the Disney Treasures, the Alien Quadrilogy, the Looney Tunes set and so on. I'm trying my best to resist the Warner Legends set until December too. I therefore have to be very careful about what games I get over the festive season itself. DVD releases this year are as bad as the game ones. Look at all the AAA titles out between October and December. Finding Nemo, Hulk, The Matrix Reloaded, The Two Towers extended edition, Indiana Jones trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean....etc....etc. :shock:

Rebel Strike and Project Gotham Racing 2 seem the most likely definite purchases, although my brain would tell me to go for game experience that will be new and a bit more refreshing instead of playing over old ground, however proven that ground may be.

If I am on X-Box Live over Christmas, I may get Rainbow Six 3 as well... The X-Box is certainly leading the way in my wants list, but there's no way I will get them all as there's simply too many games coming out. I feel quite able to resist Mario Kart until well into 2004... I'd like to get some Platinum PS2 titles to inject some life into the console too. Tough choices to make, but like Iain, the bulk of it is going to be left for the sales throughout 2004. That's the sad bind most gamers will be in yet again...

Daniel

Don't forget Jak 2, Castlevania, Ratchet and Clank 2, and Max Payne 2.

I can personally see out of that list Mario Kart and Crimson Skies not selling up to expectations.

I guess it depends what the expectations for those are. Heck even SSBM sold over a million on the GC. Does anyone have numbers on how many copies of Crimson Skies sold for the PC?

Glen

That's nothing. I'm in serious trouble this year.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (duh)

Jak II (first one was great)

RPG Maker

XIII (live play will be fun)

Socom II (duh)

Prince Of Persia (please don't fuck this one up, Ubi)

Eye Toy (could be fun)

Fatal Frame 2 (first one was great)

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (should be fantastic)

The Hobbit (this is kinda looking interesting)

Spyhunter 2 (getting good previews)

Space Channel 5 Part 2 (fun?)

Battlestar Galactica (space shooter, Galactica, and Cylons. Duh)

Final Fantasy X-2 (which I will no doubt buy)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2

Final Fantasy XI

GT4

Syphon Filter: Omega Strain

Star Ocean Till the End of Time

Gradius V (yay)

Morrowing: GOTY Edition

Grabbed by the Ghoulies (maybe)

Sega GT Online (only $19)

Ninja Gaiden

Fable

Sudeki

DOA online

Oh... and games that will sell even better than all of the above, some of which due to the inexplicably stupid videogame buying public:

Tony Hawk's Underground (don't flame me... I'm just not a fan)

WWE Smackdown (yawn)

Harry Potter: Quiddich World Cup

Road Kill (yay! run over old people! yay!)

Spongebob Squarepants (urrgh - oh and don't forget about its accompanying special edition yellow PS2 controller)

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (namesake alone will get this a million sold)

American Idol (once again, people are idiots)

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (people love this series and it sells well)

Dragonball Z Budokai 2 (people ate up the first one like flies on poo)

The Sims: Bustin' Out

Starcraft: Ghost

Seven Samurai (another botched game)

Bond 007: Everything or Nothing

Conflict Desert Storm 2

For me, it's not just finding the money, but also the time to enjoy all the good stuff

Unfortunately for me, I make the time whether I have it or not. Sometimes that causes...problems...with the opposite sex. Just ask my ex-wife. :oops:

The flip side to all these great games coming in the next few months, is something that has bothered me lately and that's the summer doldrums. I haven't bought an Xbox game since Syberia and that wasn't exactly a big deal. Great game, just not a high profile one like all the big gunzz coming out in the typical holiday season.

As an "old timer" I should be used to this cycle but, it still sucks ass when there isn't anything for several months that piques your interest. Ya know?

Didn't "Freedom Fighters" just come out? Now there's a title I'm going to pick up and, if it's out, I'll be doing some gaming this weekend! :D

My personal "big deal" games coming out are Thief III, Deus Ex I.W., Fable, B.C., Doom 3, Half Life 2, and of course, (drum roll please),...Halo 2.

Yeah, it's kind of sad actually after having a fairly sparse summer for excellent A-list titles to see so many good ones chug the market at once.

That being said, my only definite titles thus far are Mario Kart DD, Midway's Arcade Treasures and (wait for it) Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Twin Snakes and Prince of Persia are maybes.

I hope Crimson Skies finds more of an audience, I really do. I got totally frustrated with the game (no joystick on my PC :P) but the atmosphere was awesome and the game was fun (just too difficult for my poor flying skills).