LCVG

Like Shooters? Hate Spending Money?

iainl

Dear Lord, the UK PS2 market is strange. I know that the vertically scrolling shooting game is an obscure genre, but rather than spending ?50+ importing Japanese titles, we get not one but two bargains over the next few weeks.

Firstly, Psyvariar comes out tomorrow, for the princely sum of ?12.99 (?10.99 at Amazon, too). Absolutely stunning, and a required purchase, what on earth this is doing at that price I'll never know.

Even more weirdly, fellow Japanese fan favorite Shikigami No Shiro has been rebranded Mobile Light Force, had a bunch of badly-drawn girls holding guns slapped on the front of the box, and gets released next week for a mere ?9.99

Mind you, its not just shooters - VF4:Evo is only ?17.99 in Tesco right now.

Which means I can have all three games for the price of Soul Calibur II. Madness.

Even more weirdly, fellow Japanese fan favorite Shikigami No Shiro has been rebranded Mobile Light Force, had a bunch of badly-drawn girls holding guns slapped on the front of the box

This has to be in a Worst Covers Ever list somewhere. I mean, why would they take a great GunBird type game, and put Charlie's Angels on the cover running and gunning through a war zone? It's hilarious.

BT1466F.jpg

Mobile Light Force 2 for PS2 (which for some reason has the exact same cover as the original MLF for PS1) is a great shooter. I would periodically pick up the game due to its $9.99 price, see the "Worst Cover Evar", and put it back. When I read it was actually a scrolling shooter, and good besides, I immediately bought it.

Iain, is the ?12.99 Psyvariar [where is the GBP sign located on your krazy British keyboards, does it replace the $ sign over the 4?] one of the "Complete Edition" versions (with either a soundtrack CD or DVD of strategy movies) and include both Psyvariar Medium Unit and the sequel, Psyvariar Revision? I suppose there's no hope of an American company publishing this, is there? Why do I love shooters so? I can only ever play the first three levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Still no blimmin' delivery from Amazon (it looks like the publisher kind of underestimated its popularity, as every single place I've tried has sold out), but I've done some more research on this whole Mobile Light Force thing.

Right, see if you can understand this, because it confused me.

Mobile Light Force for the PS1 is actually Gunbird.

Mobile Light Force 2 for the PS2 is not Gunbird 2, however, but Shikigami No Shiro.

Shikigami No Shiro 2 is coming to the Gamecube in Japan, but will not be called MLF3 if it comes over.

On another note, I picked up PS2 MLF2 and PS1 Worlds Scariest Police Chases last night from Amersham Tesco for a total price of ?12. Which is just silly money.

Mobile Light Force for the PS1 is actually Gunbird.

Mobile Light Force 2 for the PS2 is not Gunbird 2, however, but Shikigami No Shiro.

I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine last weekend, but I don't think I was successful. Wasn't Gunbird released on the Dreamcast as well? I know I have Gunbird 2 for the DC...

On another note, I picked up PS2 MLF2 and PS1 Worlds Scariest Police Chases last night from Amersham Tesco for a total price of ?12. Which is just silly money.

I finally picked up MLF2 for $9.99 and the XIII demo for the PS2 for $.01 at Best Buy. Silly money is right! MLF2 a fun game, and I'm thinking of importing Shikigami No Shiro 2 for the Gamecube if it doesn't come over.