LCVG

Origin of your Gamertag or online nickname?

rustyjaw

So what's the origin of your gamertag?

Mine isn't terribly interesting. It all starts a few years ago when I was looking for a new domain name, racking my brain to think of some clever word or phrase to use.

Then, one day I was in the local coffee shop, looking over the newspaper someone had left on a table, and there was a report of a tornado in Santa Clara, CA (Silicon Valley). The headline was something like "Freak Tornado hits Santa Clara" - and I was immediately struck by the phrase "Freak Tornado" and decided that was my new domain name. I have it registered, but I only use it for email (no website).

After a while I started using it as a handle on forums, and then adopted it as my Gamertag.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herbert Stencil is one of the main characters from the best novel ever written, "V" by Thomas Pynchon.

Whole Sick Crew Reprezent!

Stencil, Herbert (b. 1901)

52; "world adventurer," yarn spinner and member of the Whole Sick Crew; on mission to find out who/what V. is/was; "Born in 1901, the year Victoria died," 52; working in London for the F.O. in 1939, 54; "waiting for a coincidence," 56; "quick-change artist," 61; in the sewer, 128; shot in Fairing's Parish, 131, 450; with Zeitsuss, "smiling his father's Foreign Service smile," 132; Limey, 132; 152; "architect-by-necessity of intrigues and breathings-together, 225; " and whatever impersonations that might involve," 226; "contemporary man in search of an identity," 226; Stencilized, 228; 296; on attempt at yo-yoing ("came out with one rib to his umbrella broken and a vow never to do it again."), 303; "a dual man, aimed two ways at once: towards peace and simplicity on the one hand, towards an exhausted intellectual searching on the other. Perhaps Maratt, Dnubietna and Maijstral are the first of a new race. What monsters shall rise in our wake. . ." 309; 319; return to Malta, 367; talking to Profane, 385 92; "on a private manhunt. Or womanhunt, no one is sure," 386; "Was it boredom [...] or was it something buried in the son that needed a mystery, any sense of pursuit to keep active a borderline metabolism?" 386; "had left pieces of himself--and V.--all over the western world," 389; the metal dentures "a peace-offering" to Malta, 389; steals Eigenvalue's metal teeth, 391; "Stencil's mad time-search," 406; departs for Malta, 422-23; in Malta, 443; His prayer: "Fortune, may Stencil be steady enough not to fasten on one of these poor ruins at his own random or at any least hint from Maijstral. Let him not roam out all Gothic some night with lantern and shovel to exhume an hallucination, and be found by the authorities mud-streaked and mad, and tossing meaningless clay about." 447; ; "God knows how may Stencils have chased V. about the world"--Fausto M., 451; in love with his own death? 451; off to Stockholm, 453; 489

As noted previously in an old HTF thread Future Void is the name of my neglected comic book about a serial killer trying to maintain his family (not to mention a serious crisis of conscience). Part dark humor, part serious thiller, all mine:). One day in the near future it will be completed (I can dream).

First time I needed to come up with an Alias or any other such nonsense was on the "chat rooms" on Sega's website (which were more like realtime message boards). They allowed you to use a number of different Sega Videogame characters for an Avatar, of which I chose Shun Di from Virtua Fighter 2.

I wanted something that would match the avatar, so used DrunkOldMan and it just stuck, and turned out to be a fairly good conversation starter.

I've to shorten it to various things over the years, but usually down to DrunkOM on IRC (and I've never had a single case of someone trying to steal my nick), which for some reason I used for XBL, although I really wish I had used DrunkOldMan.

Very boring, basically my friends and I used to get great kicks out of renting and hassling the Deathstalker movies. One day a couple of us were at the video store and the clerk required that I come up with a password for my account. Well, we were half in the bag and one of my buddies managed to convince me to use the word 'Deathstalker' as a password. Every time I rented a movie after that I had to provide my password, at which point I'd avoid eye contact and mutter, 'Deathstalker' (this was usually met with laughter from my friends). Well, it stuck, and I've used it as my 'handle' in every game or what have you since then. Of course, StalkerX is a variation on that as someone already had the gamertag 'Deathstalker'.

Well, as for me. Back in the old internet days I went with gwhinwi. It's my initials, in the state of wisconsin.

For my Xbox Gamertag, I wanted to go with something unique. Bat Bat was my favorite character on the new adventures of Mighty Mouse cartoon in the 80's, and was definately unique enough to fit me.

Glen

Mine is the name of one of my favorite (recent) comics/graphic novels, written and illustrated by Paul Pope. You can check it out here at Amazon, or check out his website for some of his other work. If you like comics and/or Science Fiction/PK Dick style work, you should check it out.

But I also just really liked how the name sounded.

Let's just say that the "T" in Mike's tag is a hard "T". :green:

Originally posted by IvIaster Baiter@Sep 25 2003, 03:46 PM

I think mine speaks for itself.

If you ask nicely, I could submit a picture. :shock:

Your gamertag and your avatar both speak volumes, Kevin. Volumes of a book I don't care to check out! :shock:

;)

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ@Sep 25 2003, 03:52 PM

Let's just say that the "T" in Mike's tag is a hard "T". :green:

That's funny, because I was calling him Mer-lott merely because it amused me. i had no idea that there's a story there!

And, yeah, Bryan owes us the derivation for "PPH2". You can't post in this thread and keep your gamertag secret!

-j

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ+Sep 25 2003, 02:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bryan_ZZ @ Sep 25 2003, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Let's just say that the "T" in Mike's tag is a hard "T". :green:

<!--QuoteBegin-IvIaster Baiter@Sep 25 2003, 03:46 PM

I think mine speaks for itself.

If you ask nicely, I could submit a picture. :shock:

Your gamertag and your avatar both speak volumes, Kevin. Volumes of a book I don't care to check out! :shock:

;)[/b]

So I like to fish. :P