LCVG

Had my 4th shave with the DE this morning, it was awesome. No nicks to speak of at all, my second shave with the Shark blade which is pretty good actually. I bought some feathers to try out at some point. I got the blade sampler pack from Amazon and tried some blade I've never heard of and it was awful, wouldn't cut through my beard at all, actually had to resort to finishing up with my Gillette Fusion on my 2nd shave.

I think I've found a great combination with the Pruraso soap and Shark blade. I'll try out the Feathers at some point, also need to try and find the Israeli Persona's, I've heard great things about them as well.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for introducing me to the DE razor, it's brought some "fun" back to shaving for me.

Nice job, Paul! Can't go wrong with Proraso; that's the cream I started with and I still use it once in a while during the summer for the cooling effects. What are you using for a brush?

Nice job, Paul! Can't go wrong with Proraso; that's the cream I started with and I still use it once in a while during the summer for the cooling effects. What are you using for a brush?

I'm using this Omega badger brush from Amazon I bought for $33.

310hVRn8xUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm a shaving novice due to genetics. I am lucky to have pretty much zero body hair & can't grow more than a fine stubble on my neck and cheeks. As a result I am no where near as serious about shaving as most of you in this thread. A serious blade would be total overkill for me.

So, what I am going to ask is probably going to be sacrilege to you hard core aficionados but perhaps someone else will chime in with some experience.

I'm interested in an electric razor. It just seems like it would be fast, convenient and would avoid the rare cut.

I wouldn't want an $80 cheapie model. I want something that actually works...but that's where I'm unsure. Do they actually work? Will a $200 electric shaver do as good of a job as the $8 gillette Mach 3 I've been using forever? I'm not going to drop $200 to $250 on a razor if it can't match or outperform what I've been using. For the price it better but it's not the kind of unit I can try before buying.

I have the top of the line Braun model with the cleaning base and it does okay, it just takes me about 20 minutes to shave, then I have extreme irritation. I have a pretty thick beard so that may be the reason why. I use it to get my mustache area.

I have the top of the line Braun model with the cleaning base and it does okay, it just takes me about 20 minutes to shave, then I have extreme irritation.

Twenty minutes? Why use it at all?!

Paul, you definitely made the right choice, coming in out of the cold hell of the electric razor into the warm, smooth DE glow. :)

I also have a heavy beard and thus have never had any luck with any electric razor. My nephew has a very wispy starter beard and he has better luck with the electric; he uses some POS Braun, nothing fancy. His "beard" is so scant, though, that I'll bet a bar of lava soap would do the job just as well.

So I wasn't joking when I got the Wii U and decided to ditch razor cartridges for safety razor shaving.  So I went with the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QYEK88/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L4EING/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026MRA1W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my beginner's set.  I'll give impressions later.

That's a fine starter! I wouldn't worry about upgrading. I think you'll find that better quality brushes may make a difference, but there's no need to rush.

And I personally prefer Israeli Personna blades as my go-to. Definitely experiment with different blades once you're comfortable with the Derby blades.

I just love love DE razor shaving.  It is so much better than cartridge razors.  And now, I shall attempt something that's scared me for a while: shaving my head with it.  Figure I would post this before disaster strikes.

I'm going to have to do some more research.  I really struggled with it.  I wasn't getting any nicks or anything, but angling was a major problem.  I had to go back and resort to using a cartridge razor.

For head shaving, I did start out using that soap, but it just didn't work that well.  It was some of the best lather I've ever done, and I got a good shave here and there, but once I was going around the curve so to speak, it started to become a pain in the ass to apply.  Soap just doesn't work that well on the back of the head.  I had to go back to ....shudder.... shaving gel.

I'm a shaving novice due to genetics. I am lucky to have pretty much zero body hair & can't grow more than a fine stubble on my neck and cheeks. As a result I am no where near as serious about shaving as most of you in this thread. A serious blade would be total overkill for me.

So, what I am going to ask is probably going to be sacrilege to you hard core aficionados but perhaps someone else will chime in with some experience.

Another question that may be sacrilege here is asking about clubs/memberships like Dollar Shave Club and Harry's. Any non-aficionados have experience with these cheap products?

I don't know what the aficionados think about Dollar Shave or Harry's, but I plan on trying out the latter after I use up my current batch of Gillette razors.

I have been using a straight for the last year.

Dovo Best 5/8 full hollow from Vintage Blades.

I am thinking of getting a hart-steel next: http://www.hartsteel.com/index.html

Used an electric all my life, and just got the urge to try a straight razor.  Learning curve not too bad.  No major injuries yet!

Have tried a few different soaps, I like the sandalwood flavored Proraso alot.  (http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-New-Shaving-Soap-Sandalwood/dp/B00FF77IQC/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1411476855&sr=1-5&keywords=proraso)

So I'm going to take the dive and buy some soaps from Mama Bear.  I'm going with Ye Olde Barbershop, Dragon's Blood, and Toasted Coconut.  I'm looking into storage solutions now.  It's going to be either the 1cup/250 mL Pyrex, or the tins from West Coast Shaving.

So, I received a Harry's Winston Set from my wife for Christmas. The set included a bottle of foaming gel, three razors, and a handle engraved with my initials. This is replacing the Gillette Fusion razors that I've been using for the last three years.

I've been using it since Sunday and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The blades are really nice with a soft, gentle touch that doesn't feel like it's scraping my face. The handle is classy as fuck, and the foaming gel smells and feels great. I've been following their instructions to get a better shave, and combined with their hardware, the results have been pretty stellar. I've been getting an incredibly smooth shave these last few days and my face does not feel as irritated as it was before. I only wish I had some of the Harry's aftershave to try (I'm still using my Gillette-brand aftershave gel). The only real gripe I have is that when the handle gets wet, it feels slippery in my hand. It feels like it could slip out of my fingers at any moment (though that has not happened yet). As much as I dislike the look of the Fusion handle, it does offer a better grip.

For someone like me who shaves almost every day (save for the occassional weekend day when my wife is working), Harry's recommends changing the blade every week. I'm tempted to go with that, because I love how the new blades feel and they are so cheap ($2.00 or less per blade), but I think I'm going to see if I can get by with replacing them every two. Because the Gillette blades are so expensive I have been replacing them monthly, and I can tell you that they don't feel great during that last week. Even cutting that time in half will probably help. We'll see how I feel at the end of this week.

If I have any further thoughts, I'll post them here. For now, I'd say that if you are currently using store-bought blades from Gillette or any other major brand, Harry's is likely a worthy replacement for it.

I have always used my hair clippers to shave My head all the way down. Yesterday decided to go 100% down. I tried a gillette razor. It worked out pretty good. I was wondering if there is any razor out there or razor club out there worth trying?

I actually like the Harry's razors. They seem to cut a little sharper than your typical razor and are still pretty cheap.