LCVG

Child's Play

heavy liquid

In the newest EGM (Final Fantasy cover), there's a great article called "Child's Play". In it, they interviewed nine kids aged 10 to 13, and interviewed them while they played games from the 70's and 80's. So were the games that great back then? And how do kids playing them for the first time today feel about them? As the article says, "prepare to feel old".

Here's a sample:

TETRIS (1988)

Tina: Which button do I press to make the blocks explode?

EGM: Sorry, they don't explode.

Becky: This is boring. Maybe if it had characters and stuff and different levels, it would be OK. If things blew up or something or...

Sheldon: If there were bombs.

Becky: Yeah, or special bricks. Like, if a yellow brick touched a red brick it would blow up and you'd have to start over.

John: Why haven't I won yet? I've paired up so many of the same color.

EGM: Don't worry about colors.

John: I just lined up six of the same color. Why didn't anything blow up?

EGM: Nothing blows up.

:green:

I would recommend anyone who grew up playing videogames in the 70's and 80's to check out the magazine. It's quite enlightening and hilarious. Some of the other games played are Donkey Kong ("Donkey Kong's mouth is made of plusses"), Mattel Handheld Football ("I bumped into a dot"), and Q'Bert ("Is that little guy swearing?").

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Sep 25 2003, 06:35 PM

In the newest EGM (Final Fantasy cover), there's a great article called "Child's Play". In it, they interviewed nine kids aged 10 to 13, and interviewed them while they played games from the 70's and 80's. So were the games that great back then? And how do kids playing them for the first time today feel about them? As the article says, "prepare to feel old".

Here's a sample:

TETRIS (1988)

Tina: Which button do I press to make the blocks explode?

EGM: Sorry, they don't explode.

Becky: This is boring. Maybe if it had characters and stuff and different levels, it would be OK. If things blew up or something or...

Sheldon: If there were bombs.

Becky: Yeah, or special bricks. Like, if a yellow brick touched a red brick it would blow up and you'd have to start over.

John: Why haven't I won yet? I've paired up so many of the same color.

EGM: Don't worry about colors.

John: I just lined up six of the same color. Why didn't anything blow up?

EGM: Nothing blows up.

:green:

I would recommend anyone who grew up playing videogames in the 70's and 80's to check out the magazine. It's quite enlightening and hilarious. Some of the other games played are Donkey Kong ("Donkey Kong's mouth is made of plusses"), Mattel Handheld Football ("I bumped into a dot"), and Q'Bert ("Is that little guy swearing?").

I just read that article and thought it was hilarious. One kid when given "pong" to play:

"I'd sooner jump up and down on one foot."

Another kid on "Space Invaders":

"I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead by now."

On Qbert, when a kid asks if 'that guy' is swearing:

"I'd be swearing too, if I wasted a quarter on this crap."

My how times have changed.

Carlos.

I read this article and found it somewhat amuse, though not surprising. I would have liked to have seen their reaction to some classic 8-bit and 16-bit games as well. Perhaps they can do that for future issue. I'd like to hear what they have to say about the original The Legend of Zelda.

I remember showing my nephew the original Donkey Kong a few years ago. Up to that point, he was convinced that the first Donkey Kong game ever was Donkey Kong Country and that he was a completely new Nintendo character. Showing him that original game blew his mind (he liked the game, too). He was even more freaked out when I showed him Donkey Kong, Jr. and he realized that Mario was actually the villain in that game, something that was almost inconceivable to him. He felt like he was waking up from the Matrix, finding out about this strange and different world that cast a new light on everything he'd ever known :)

• 3 weeks later...