LCVG

Cooking with Monkey, Bass & Poisonous Jam

Robot Monkey

I like inexpensive sets of plastic boards from Costco or dirt cheap plastic boards from restaurant supply.

Nothing wrong with the nice stuff (except glass, that's bullshit and wreck's your knife edge).

But I find that the cheap plastic ones last very, very, very long. And if you wanna soak them in a mild bleach solution? Go for it. Chuck in the dishwasher? Yep, go for it.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:35 PM, Robot Monkey said:

I like inexpensive sets of plastic boards from Costco or dirt cheap plastic boards from restaurant supply.

Nothing wrong with the nice stuff (except glass, that's bullshit and wreck's your knife edge).

But I find that the cheap plastic ones last very, very, very long. And if you wanna soak them in a mild bleach solution? Go for it. Chuck in the dishwasher? Yep, go for it.

Think i might go this way. I have a restaurant supply store 15 min away. Ill check it out this weekend. 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, PHiL said:

Its time for new cutting boards. I i know its the simplest of things but hate the cutting boards i have had for years. Is bamboo the way to go? 

Hinoki all day every day. Softer wood that has a natural antibiotic sap in it; smells lovely, and even repairs itself. It's all I use now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:24 AM, Robot Monkey said:

Nice! Did you smoke out the house?

No I have a very good vent hood in my kitchen. Weather is finally warming up to where I can use the charcoal outside. 

After carefully and methodically researching knives.....

...My wife bought a big set of Cutco Knives while she was at a craft fair.  They actually seem pretty good, and they are made in the USA!  

Carlos.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:21 AM, kelley said:

No I have a very good vent hood in my kitchen. Weather is finally warming up to where I can use the charcoal outside. 

We're starting to plan a major kitchen reno, and a proper vent is on my list.  I usually finish sous vide steaks on the grill, but given that it was snowing the last time I wanted steak, and that my grill desperately needs some cleaning (I can't get the internal temperature above about 450 degrees or so), I opted to use the cast iron.  Smoked out the kitchen pretty easily there.

Turn your oven on broil. Boil a small head of cauliflower in very heavily salted water for about 8 minutes. A knife should slide in with a little resistance when done. I put a weight on top to keep it submerged.

Take it out and let it drain. Rub with olive oil. Taste the harissa. How salty is it? Not enough? Sprinkle some flakes on top of the cauliflower. Now rub it lightly with harissa.

Put it in the oven to broil and get some nice roasted spots. Looking burned in spot tends to be nice.

Meanwhile, take a cup of greek yogurt and stir in 1 TB of lemon juice and a little salt. Smear this on a plate. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the yogurt, plop the cauliflower on the plate and serve with some steak knives and forks.

Great snack, appetizer and, a couple of times, a meal.

I make this with za'atar on the cauliflower instead of harissa and also sprinkle za'atar on the yogurt with the olive oil drizzle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've always wanted to make mac and cheese from scratch, but I can't seem to find the recipe for the macaroni pasta from scratch. Can you use standard pasta dough, and do I have to hunt down a child's Play Doh set to make the shape?

16 hours ago, Dimness said:

I've always wanted to make mac and cheese from scratch, but I can't seem to find the recipe for the macaroni pasta from scratch. Can you use standard pasta dough, and do I have to hunt down a child's Play Doh set to make the shape?

DOH I completely didn't make the pasta. Ain't got time for that ;)

• 2 months later...

Broke in my Father’s Day gift this evening — an Ooni Karu 12 pizza oven. I vastly underestimated how hot and fast it can cook; first pizza turned out rather … black. The last three got progressively better. I need more practice, especially in presentation — “round” was not something you would call these pies. Still, overall, a good first run. Looking forward to doing it again (and searing steaks in this thing in a cast-iron platter — this thing gets HOT.)

Ive missed Shake Shack burgers since we moved away last year, Goldbelly has a kit now so we ordered it and did them tonight. It was really really good. Though I did miss the cheese fries and black and white shake. 

3 hours ago, kelley said:

Ive missed Shake Shack burgers since we moved away last year, Goldbelly has a kit now so we ordered it and did them tonight. It was really really good. Though I did miss the cheese fries and black and white shake. 

Have you tried making smash burgers on your own? I bet if you have a cast iron skillet, this is all in your wheelhouse. The accoutrements, especially fries and shakes is another deal, but the burger? I think you can do that.

12 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

Have you tried making smash burgers on your own? I bet if you have a cast iron skillet, this is all in your wheelhouse. The accoutrements, especially fries and shakes is another deal, but the burger? I think you can do that.

Yeah I can do smash burgers. I need to work on a sauce.