LCVG

Mission:Impossible - Operation Surma pimpage

dogbert

A nice brand spanking new website has just launched for a game in development at the studio where I work. The game is "Mission: Impossible - Operation Surma", a 3rd person stealth/action title that should go down well with fans of Splinter Cell etc.

It's been made with the full cooperation of Tom Cruise - our office features a spiffy green Xbox devkit signed by him ;)

The website features a whole bunch of clips from the game rather than the fantastic rendered intros (which is what was shown at E3), which I'm pleased with. The guys on the team have worked damn hard on this game.

Mission Impossible website

-Well, I really like the quality of the website, and far as the game is concerned, I would have to agreed that it looks to be taking on Splinter Cell directly. The comparison to Splinter Cell with respect to gameplay ans graphics is a good thing, so hopefully that translates into similar sales numbers, but SC is tough competition.

-May I ask, what would you say separates MI-OS from SC,... it might give us a sense of the games identity/uniqueness. I'm certainly interested in MI-OS, the videos were great!

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by JTello+Sep 26 2003, 04:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JTello @ Sep 26 2003, 04:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> May I ask, what would you say separates MI-OS from SC,... it might give us a sense of the games identity/uniqueness. I'm certainly interested in MI-OS, the videos were great! [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-"dogbert"

And Dan, yup, the theme is in

Can I just say that this is differentiation enough for me...

By the way, are you handling the GBA version as well, or is that being farmed out? Just curious, really, as I see myself getting both XBox and GBA releases at the moment.

erm i think Spyhunter2 has classic theme music in there somewhere too but that game stinks!!! ;)

The fact that a game is released with hardly any reviews, if any, is always a bad sign for me.. Gamesdomain have given it 3/5. Sounds like if you want an average Splinter Cell clone then you'll be happy.

It should be noted that a 5/10 from EG is much better than a 5/10 from IGN or GameSpot - like GamesTM & Edge, Eurogamer use the full scale.

GamePro just gave IMF 4/5, apparently.

The fact that a game is released with hardly any reviews, if any, is always a bad sign for me..

Not a big fan of that myself either, but it's very common now for publishers to embargo reviews until the day of release to help hype. A game getting reviewed on the day of its release (like IMF) means the sites have had it already to do the review. It's when you get no reviews at all (see T3:ROTM) that it's a Bad Sign.

Yeah opinion seems a little mixed on this game, unfortunately whether it's a 4/5 or a 5/10 i cant help but feel it's gonna get lost in the slew of titles out right now.. what's even worse is that the EA hype machine is in full effect as the very very disappointing MOH Rising Sun is top of the UK charts, strangely enough the adverts for it on TV show only FMV footage..

people continue to buy them by the truck load so unfortunately the ads must be working.

Ah but EA does well with a franchise, at least in fighting for which one to earn the right to publish. They own rights to publish many a popular game of a specific franchise, and it's really the franchise name that shifts the title. People like Harry Potter, they Like James Bond, they Like Lord of the Rings, they like football and so on. EAs been smart to claim those licenses, it's just a pity they don?t really have the ability to exploit them to the franchises greatest potential (though I admit I really enjoyed the Return of the King Game, and I like their Potter platformer titles too. The development teams did well above average there).

EA own the top three or four spaces in the UK chart now don?t they? Rising Sun is tops as you say, and Return of the King and Fifa are in there somewhere too. I?m not entirely sure what is shifting Rising Sun. Is Medal of Honor that big a brand name in gaming now? I?ve never liked any MOH game on a console and it was a surprise to see this go straight in at number one.

Daniel

PS: I've noticed Ubisoft is running some excellent adverts on television, showing game footage in both their Prince of Persia and XIII adds. Good stuff. I think even the adds for Project Gotham 2 and Rainbow six 3 showed off footage as well. Some good gaming adverts at the moment from other companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Rented Operation Surma over yesterday. Played it a good bit last night. I must say, I'm pleasantly suprised! The game is of course the spitting image of Splinter Cell but that doesn't take away from the fact that its actually pretty good. I'll be playing some more tonight. I'll try to get some impressions up tommorrow at the earliest for anyone thats looking into getting it.

Actually, Prince Of Persia is seriously finding its feet here in the UK right now (hell, I bought it myself last night). It came out the same week as a shedload of other stuff, and got completely ignored, as I think Ubisoft overestimated what the PoP name would do. Game panicked and slashed the price for a week, and so a bunch of people bought it. Then, once they had done the frankly excellent word of mouth the game deserves, coupled with those TV ads, has started to do the trick. Its just a real pity that I could only get the PS2 release, as the Cube won't hit here until next year.

• 1 month later...

I played the first several missions of Surma last night and I thoroughly enjoyed every second. Posts have been made about other stealth titles that did not leave enough of a trail for gamers to follow - the "not sure what to do next" comments. Surma holds your hand a little at the beginning, which is what I need from time to time. The plot is as good as any MI movie and the graphics are glorious!

There are a ton of cool gadgets to use, with my early favorite being the micro cord. It automatically pulls you up when it strikes its target.

I've seen it at $29.99 at BB - worth every penny.