LCVG
Romier S

Xbox Live connections issues -Solutions and help

I want to create a small guide here to help folks having disconnection issues on Live. This can include any number of failures including dropping out of rooms, large amounts of lag, or worst. I will be updating this in the next two days to be more comprehensive. I will also expand the scope of this thread for other consoles when the time comes. If anyone has any portable (DS, PSP) tips or tricks you want to share, I'll add them here ASAP. For now, here's instructions on how to statically assign an IP address to your Xbox360. I highly recommend doing this as it has solved a ton of problems for various folks on the forum:

Setting up the Xbox 360 on the DMZ

If you have a D-Link router, here's how to do it: (same for Linksys or others except the IP addresses will be different. D-Link uses 192.168.0.1-100)

*Linksys routers have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 and start handing out DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.101

On your 360:

Network settings -> IP address -> Static -> Set IP to 192.168.0.110 (for Linksys you can do 192.168.1.150), Gateway/DNS to 192.168.0.1 (Linksys = 192.1681.1) and subnet to 255.255.255.0

Turn off your 360.

On your PC:

Open internet explorer... type "192.168.0.1" into address bar

this will open up a router configuration page (input username and password - you should have set these when you installed your router the first time)

Find the "DMZ" option... enter into there your 360's new IP address (192.168.0.110)...

Then click the "save and reboot" button.

Your router will reboot itself...

Now boot your 360 back up...

It should work now.

DMZ stands for "Demilitarized Zone" -- basically this is allowing your 360 to have direct access to the internet with no interference or "policing" done by your router.

Thanks, I need something like this. I had a lot of problems yesterday attempting to connect to servers on GRAW and even when I did manage, I got d/c. Hell, I had trouble finding games to connect on GRAW. One of the culprits might be my Terayon cable modem since I've read reports from other users with similar complaints.

You may want to try and get a replacement from the cable company, or just outright buy your own. Joey (CaptDS9E) had some good luck going that route. The DMZ solution has worked for alot of folks though. Hopefully it will help you clear up some issues. I'm going to update this some more a little later with some port forwarding information and some other tweaks folks can do to help thier connection.

If you don't want to assign your Xbox a static IP then you can add its MAC address to a reservation list on your D-Link router (I have a DGL-4300). Anytime your router sees the 360 MAC address it will assign it the same IP number. I do this with all my machines and it saves me the time of having to touch each machine individually. You can then place this reserved IP in the DMZ.

You may want to try and get a replacement from the cable company, or just outright buy your own. Joey (CaptDS9E) had some good luck going that route. The DMZ solution has worked for alot of folks though. Hopefully it will help you clear up some issues. I'm going to update this some more a little later with some port forwarding information and some other tweaks folks can do to help thier connection.

I do own this crappy cable modem! The DMZ solution isn't working for me. When I attempt to manually assign the various addresses, I can no longer connect to xbox live. I fail at the DNS setting.

I'm using a wireless router, the dlink 614+. My computer is hardwired to the router and my xbox is using the ms wireless ethernet adaptor. My ISP is not among the officially approved for xbox live compatability. I use shaw cable.

Someone I play with also had a terrayone modem and was unable to connect to any of our games 2 nights ago, he bought a new modem and had no problems last night.

Someone I play with also had a terrayone modem and was unable to connect to any of our games 2 nights ago, he bought a new modem and had no problems last night.

I think I'm going to kill two birds with one stone. I called my cable provider and I'm going to upgrade my internet speed as well as get them to swap for a new docsis motorola modem. That way, maybe I can do some hosting as well. If that doesn't do the trick, then I'm dumping shaw cable and going back to telus and dsl, which I swore I'd never do, since they were such a-holes to me with the most wretched customer service or should I say lack of customer service that I've ever dealth with. And if that doesn't work, I'm dumping my 360, repurchasing my ps2 and fill my hours with japanese rpgs for the next year or two.

And if that doesn't work, I'm dumping my 360, repurchasing my ps2 and fill my hours with japanese rpgs for the next year or two.

What if the PS2 breaks? What then? That can't be as far as you'll go? Is it?

:P

What if the PS2 breaks? What then? That can't be as far as you'll go? Is it?

:P

If all else fails, I have my DS as backup. But, wouldn't you know it, I have even bigger troubles attempting to connect to Nintendo's effin wifi.

For those of you who have Linksys (I don't know about D-Link or many others), you can give the 360 the highest priority via the QOS (Quality of Service) screen in the "Applications & Gaming" tab of your router configuration screen. I've had this enabled ever since taking on roommates (shh, don't tell!)

But yeah, I have DHCP enabled on mine, albeit the 360 gets assigned the same IP every time thanks to MAC address restriction, so I do have an address I can try in the DMZ. I've never had a problem with lag/hosting on my end, but I'll do DMZ anyway for pure speed. My one question, though, is that since DMZ opens all ports on said IP, is the 360 going to be vulnerable to attacks of any kind?

I have a couple of questions...

I tried doing the DMZ thing with my Linksys router & I couldn't get it to work.

I've never downloaded any firmware for the thing.

Do you think that I could gain some benefit by doing so? OR should I just leave it be?

I have a couple of questions...

I tried doing the DMZ thing with my Linksys router & I couldn't get it to work.

I've never downloaded any firmware for the thing.

Do you think that I could gain some benefit by doing so? OR should I just leave it be?

Check MS for firmware updates that have been cleared as xbox live compatible.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox/routers-homenetworkingequipment.htm

I'm like you, if ain't broke, why fix it. But, yesterday I did a f/w update for my router and my web browsing seems quicker as a result.

I do own this crappy cable modem! The DMZ solution isn't working for me. When I attempt to manually assign the various addresses, I can no longer connect to xbox live. I fail at the DNS setting.

I've got my entire netowrk set up with static IP addresses and it seems to work just fine. I have the router set up as 192.168.0.1 internally, and grabbing everything external from the provider. Then I set up my xbox with IP address 192.168.0.100 (arbitrary number), 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, and the same DNS settings as on the router (i.e. the public DNS records that the router downloads). Yes, I know this isn't the most efficient way to set things up, but it works now, and I don't really feel like messing with things too much :)

I've got my entire netowrk set up with static IP addresses and it seems to work just fine. I have the router set up as 192.168.0.1 internally, and grabbing everything external from the provider. Then I set up my xbox with IP address 192.168.0.100 (arbitrary number), 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, and the same DNS settings as on the router (i.e. the public DNS records that the router downloads). Yes, I know this isn't the most efficient way to set things up, but it works now, and I don't really feel like messing with things too much :)
I was having problems with Burnout Revenge, then I remembered that I hadn't yet set a static IP for my 360 and configured the firewall to pass it through (DMZ it). Once I did that, my connection problem went away. Though I still get EA server messages on occasion, but that's just the man screwing things up I think.

Just another tip: I would suggest to anyone that is using 802.11 and getting random drops to change the channel assignment to 11. Lots of cordless phones are in the 802.11b/g range now as well as several other devices and almost all will use channels 1-6 by default - It could even be a neighbor's phone causing drops (I've had this issue a few times now). Channels 7-10 aren't used by much but, you can of course still get interference on those channles whereas Ch11's bandwidth isn't used by virtually anything so you should have far fewer probs. Hope that helps...

The router I have is a not a so-called Live compatible router. I had it on the DMZ and I was getting a STRICT result on the NAT test. I went to the Live forums and on there it said to Forward port 3074 to both UDP and TCP and port 88 to UDP only. On there it said the DMZ may cause other problems. I just ran a test and now my NAT result is OPEN which is what it needs to be. I will see if this does the trick and I won't have to change routers out....I have a new one waiting in the wing if this doesn't work. PGR3 will be the true test on Thursday.

-Dean-

I went on ahead on hooked up the D-Link dl-624 router. :)

Downloads on the Marketplace seemed way faster now.

-Dean-

The DI-624 works very well with live as its newest firmware is Live compatible

I just bought the DI-634. Everything finally works fine. I haven't downloaded the latest firmware or enabled the super gaming function thing. For now I'm going to take a if-it-aint broke attitude.

I have a new problem. I cannot download demos. The Hitman demo and Rumble Roses Demo will not dl. They error out everytime. Anyone have the same issue?

-Dean-