LCVG
Romier S

Xbox Live connections issues -Solutions and help

Update

Turns out the problem was the NAT setting on other players XBOXES, which should have all been set to OPEN and not MODERATE or STRICT.

If anyone is having similar problems, I suggest making sure your NAT setting is OPEN.

Thanks Joey and Romier as you both led me in the right direction.

Cheers fellas.

When your 360 is on the DMZ its open

That depends on the router Joey. If your router is a non-Live compatible router....you will have to forward the ports manually to get your NAT to be open.

-Dean-

My comment was more towards you. I should have meant on the Router we have. the DI-624

Update

Turns out the problem was the NAT setting on other players XBOXES' date=' which should have all been set to OPEN and not MODERATE or STRICT.

If anyone is having similar problems, I suggest making sure your NAT setting is OPEN.

Thanks Joey and Romier as you both led me in the right direction.

Cheers fellas.[/quote']

I just checked mine and it's set to moderate, how do I change it?

If your router is a non-Live compatible router....you will have to forward the ports manually to get your NAT to be open.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but don't you need to get an xbox live compatible router to work at all? I was told to replace my router by this forum but I haven't yet.

Pretty much any router will work but, a Live compatible router will do alot of the work (re: port forwarding, DMZ settings, NAT translation, Etc) for you.

Bad advice from me, then. I had a Netgear router that wouldn't work regardless of the port gymastics I went through...

I don't know why people have so many problems. Must be some idiosyncracy I'm not thinking of, but given my setup totally works, I guess I'm lucky. I have a D-Link DSL Modem acting as a bridge to a Linksys WRD54G and then an Apple Airport Express acting as a network expander and my 360 plugged into that ethernet port.

It...works.

It's times like these that sites like this really come in handy. Thanks to all those posting their problems and experiences in here. It has helped me to diagnose my "slow" downloads in mere minutes vs. probably the entire day of me mucking around with my network settings. I run with some fairly complex security stuff in my setup for my wireless, so when my wired 360 was crawling at snail speed I was getting angry. The DMZ and statically assigning the IPs etc let's the 360 get it's job done very nicely. :tu

Now let me cross my fingers that the problems don't come back now that I've said this.

I replaced my B router which was not live compliant with a G router from Netgear which was live compliant. It came with Live approved firmware out of the box.

When I try to assign it an IP, I can't connect. When I leave it as DHCP It'll connect no problem.

Do I need to go thru these DMZ hoops? I haven't tried to game yet which I think is the litmus test but I could be wrong.

DHCP wise I'm passing all the tests.

Try some games out Shane. If you don't see any connection issues, you're just fine. If you run into problems then you can try either forwarding the ports to Live, or just DMZ the 360.

Hi all,

I've been having a problem hosting XBL games. I used to be able to leave a "host" xbox running 24/7 and it would freeze maybe...a couple times a week. Now, it shuts down hourly(the more people using it, the more prone it is to shutting down). I get the "this session no longer available, can't connect to xbl, there is a problem connecting to xbl live.....sometimes it just says "[null]"..:)

I have a cable modem "maxxed" out with the "business" option. This gives me pretty solid 1500 up/down bandwidth. The modem runs into a netgear router, then into a 16 port netgear switcher. All 16 ports are full(yes, there are a lot of PCs/processors in my house..:). Anyway. along with the xbox host shutting off(losing connection), I've been getting a "can't connect to XBL" error when trying to sign in lately too. I go through the built in XBOX diagnosis and it comes back with an error that cites my "MTU" needs to be changed. I guess this means maximum transfer unit(whatever that is?). I have no idea how to change that...so I just do a complete reboot(unplug/ plug back in) on the modem, router, and switcher...and I can sign back in fine whenever this happens. But my host XBOX still drops out like crazy.

This problem seesm to have started when I switched from a 8 port switcher to a 16 port switcher a while back. I don't have a problem purchasing a NEW router/switcher if you guys think that will help. I just don't want to throw away the money without really having any idea if it will help.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, most appreciated as always.

Subhuman(TV from svs)

I take it you're doing dynamic IP addressing via the router? If so, you'll find MTU settings that are changeable in the device itself (you may need to dig around in the menus). I forget what the recommended MTU setting is for Live but setting it at 1400-1500 should be just fine for optimal gameplay.

I believe the proper setting is 1460

MTU: If this box is left blank, the router selects the usual MTU settings for the type of WAN interface in use. The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines the largest packet size (in bytes) that the router will send to the WAN. If LAN devices send larger packets, the router will break them into smaller packets. Ideally, you should set this to match the MTU of the connection to your ISP. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an Ethernet connection and 1492 bytes for a PPPoE connection. If the router's MTU is set too high, packets will be fragmented downstream. If the router's MTU is set too low, the router will fragment packets unnecessarily and in extreme cases may be unable to establish some connections. In either case, network performance can suffer.
Found this under WAN settings in my router interface. Mine is set to default which is 1500.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Checked and the MTU was already set to 1500.

I'll try experimenting with other stuff as time allows...with games like (24 player) COD-3 coming out...I'd like to be able to host a stable room again soon..:)

TV

For about the last month I have been having a problem with Xbox Live. When I power on my 360, it doesnt sign me in to Xbox Live automatically. If I select my profile and click "Sign In to Xbox Live", I get an error and get redirected to the Network Test page. I run the network tests, everything passes, NAT is OPEN.

After the tests complete, I go back and can sign in to Live with no problem.

My 360 uses a static IP, and is in the DMZ on my router. My router is a Linksys WRT54G using the dd-wrt open source firmware.

Any ideas?

Jeff

Moderators, it would be very helpful if at some point the problems and solutions found here could be compiled in some way, maybe constructed like a FAQ of sorts, for people. Just an idea. It require that some of the people here who fixed their problems provide more detail how they did it. Because once you fix your problem it is natural to NOT report back to this thread. Anyway, just a suggestion.

My 360 can access my media on my PC fine, and connect me to the marketplace…etc without a problem, but last night Romier and I hit a brick wall when trying to drag me into an actual game over Live. He felt it may have been a port forwarding issue, but whatever the case, it was 3am and I was too zombified by that point to try and fix it.

My router model number is:

3com 3crwdr100a-72

Again, it's specifically a problem connecting when going to play a game on Live. All other 360 online functions are normal.

Ok, I did a Live connection test on my 360 and the only thing it throws up is that my NAT is 'moderate,' which troubleshooting reveals can restrict certain functionality on Live - chiefly gaming.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection-testnat.htm

It notes that:

Moderate NAT means that the port-assignment policy is minimal, but the device is filtering addresses or ports.

*scratches head*

Daniel, I can't offer any help but I wanted to congratulate you on the 360 purchase!

Thanks. I'm really having fun with it. Just need to sort this Live niggle out.

Ok, I did a network test on my 360 and the only thing it throws up is that my NAT is 'moderate,' which troubleshooting reveals can restrict certain functionality on Live, chiefly gaming.

Did you DMZ it? I know it is recommended but in my case when I set up the DMZ my NAT goes to moderate while it remains open when I do not. Dean once explained to me the reason for that but I can't remember.