LCVG
Romier S

Xbox Live connections issues -Solutions and help

Glad to hear you got everything working Daniel. I would have gladly helped you last night but then you went and got lazy on me.;)

Like I was telling Dean. It's a amazing thing the world we live in. Helping someone on another Continent fix a router issue

I have a question for you tech heads out there:

I just got back my 5th 360 from Microsoft and had to reconfigure my network connection. I initially set back to being in the DMZ (static to .150). After running the test, I noticed that my NAT was reported as Strict. I did some ask.com-ing and found this site that informed me that since I enabled UPnP for my mediatomb server to ps3 connection I have caused the 360 to come back as strict. I then set the 360 to "automatic" and it reports NAT as Open.

What is going on?? Get techie and geeky and explain to me, in your own words, what I did to fix the problem by enabling what I assume is DHCP.

I connected with a new ISP today. Decided to reboot my router, update its firmware and so on.... then it dawned on me I'd have to go through that whole process of trying to get Xbox Live to work with NAT showing 'open' in my settings.

Naturally I have forgotten everything Dean told me to do eighteen months ago.

*scratches head*

Indeed, but it's a repeat of 18 months ago, Joey, when we tried this before. I can do that (and have) but the Xbox Network tests then fail at the MTU stage (despite setting the MTU on the router to 1500). I never made a note of the walk through Dean gave me over AOL all that time ago so I am back to square one where I can make one change and it'll pass that stage in the tests only to then fail in another.

Are my DNS settings on the xbox meant to be my primary and secondary from my ISP? I forget.

Most people don't delete their AOL IM's which are automatically saved unless you change the settings to not save the log. There should be a seperate folder for each IM name. Maybe a quick text search will pull it up.

Edited by Anthony G

Looking back through the thread would have been nice if dean explained the steps on the forum :-) Only see you got it set to 1500, and a few things I helped you with

**The DNS setting on the 360 is the router. 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on which the router uses. Leave the 2nd one empty**

Whenever I get something new on my network I simply go to PortForward.com and look for the walkthrough. I imagine this should work for you. Go to Guides, and then Port Forwarding, and then click through your specific router. Then select which service you are trying to set up ie. Xbox Live, PSN, and SCEA. You should first assign static IP addresses to everything on your network (PC/Mac, PS3, and Xbox 360). There is a guide for that also. Print everything off, fill in the blanks where it asks you (ip address, DNS primary/secondary, gateway, ... etc) and you should be good to go.

Chris

Most people don't delete their AOL IM's which are automatically saved unless you change the settings to not save the log. There should be a seperate folder for each IM name. Maybe a quick text search will pull it up.

My Mac is only returning AOL folders for plug ins and scripts. Doesn't seem to have kept a log of my messages that I can see. 'Log instant messages' is unchecked in my settings.

Looking back through the thread would have been nice if dean explained the steps on the forum :-) Only see you got it set to 1500, and a few things I helped you with

I know. It was my immediate thought to dig this thread up to see whether he or I had actually explained how I got it working.

Whenever I get something new on my network I simply go to PortForward.com and look for the walkthrough. I imagine this should work for you. Go to Guides, and then Port Forwarding, and then click through your specific router. Then select which service you are trying to set up ie. Xbox Live, PSN, and SCEA. You should first assign static IP addresses to everything on your network (PC/Mac, PS3, and Xbox 360). There is a guide for that also. Print everything off, fill in the blanks where it asks you (ip address, DNS primary/secondary, gateway, ... etc) and you should be good to go.

Chris

It's funny though. I don't remember having to set up port forwarding for my 360 at all.

Dean!..... hear me!

Well I may be making some progress on my own. Rebooting my router seemed to make the MTU check work... but once again I now get a failure elsewhere on the check list.

IP Address - Conifmed

DNS - Confirmed

MTU - Confirmed

ICMP - Confirmed

XBOX LIVE - Failed

All done. Romier managed to help me out.

My Xbox Live test failure was my fault as I had the last digit wrong for the console's IP in the DMZ list on the router. Fixing this brought me back to the MTU failure but Romier told me to set it to the Xbox minimum of 1364 which I did, and it worked... which is odd however as it wasn’t working at 1500 which I had set it at earlier this evening (the number I had set it to in May of 07 when I initially got Live working and had used up until today).

So there we have it. Romier is the new Dean. There will be openings for the new Romier when I mess this up and ask how to set it all up again sometime in 2010.

Edited by Romier S

You have no idea what you are in for. I suggest a bottle of Captain Morgan's, a box of tissue, and a tube of Tiger Balm to get you through it.

-Dean-

So, here is a humdinger that I cannot figure out.

At the g/f's house we have my 360 in the living room hardwired to her Netgear WGR614v8. I then have a 2nd 360 in the bedroom connected to the network via a Linksys WGA54G wireless gaming adapter. Here is where the issue lies. As long as the Linksys is plugged in, it is showing my 360, which is wired, as having a wireless connection. This in turn is what is causing my Live Party problems that some of you have experienced with me. I have tried Static IP addresses, but that is not working. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

-Dean-

Here we go AGAIN.

New router (a Netgear DG834G) and the 360 is being fussy. My ibook connects fine, a windows based laptop in the house connects fine, the PS3 and Wii are also fine.

UPnP is enabled. The 360 detects my network on the list and the signal is at full strength. I've selected it, input my WPA-PSK key but nothing happens from there on. When I go to 'Test Xbox Live Connection' the test status fails immediately at 'Network' even though, if I go back to the detected list of local networks the 360 picks up, it displays "connected"...

Sort this out, nerds!

I was browsing Netgear's forum and another fellow is having the exact same problem, so for now I am going to be it down to absurd lack of compatibility unless a Netgear rep can prove otherwise. If not, it's going back.

Bloody technology.

I haven't had any router issues since switching to DD-WRT and Tomato (one each running on different routers). Might want to find a router that supports open-source FW.

I love my DD-WRT routers. (cheapo Belkin F5D7230-4 for a bridge, and the main router where the xbox/PS3/etc are - a Buffalo WHR-54GS).

Really wasn't that hard to flash either.

I'm returning the router tomorrow. They're going to send me an earlier model in return, version 4 of the DG834, which from researching online certainly seems to be the most reliable and last of the DG834's to have a Broadcom chipset (for which there is a popular third party firmware).

I'm now seriously considering adding a 3rd xbox to my family. The only reason I got to play COD at all this weekend is because my older son was grounded.

Having 2 on the same internet connection has not been a problem at all so far. Will I be pushing my luck going for 3 simultaneous connections? I've got the Max18 uVerse internet connection, so I *think* I should be ok.

I should have thought of this when they were $100. D'oh!

Carlos.