COOL, FUNNY, AMAZING, Work Safe video Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It gets started around 1:30

Aaaaand, success! It's really fascinating to watch in real-time, you get a sense of all the intricate steps that have to go perfectly for it to land safely, pretty exciting. It's amazing how quickly t

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat on-topic...NASA will attempt to land the Perseverance Rover on Mars today, live streams on many platforms are linked on this page:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timeline/landing/watch-online/

I've tuned in to many of these over the years. From Sojourner way back in '97, to Opportunity and Curiosity landings to Cassini's and Juno's orbital entries. Landers are the most exciting though, since the moment of touchdown is so perilous. They've never had any kind of visual feed from the crafts as descent is happening (time-delayed obvs.), kinda hoping they do this time...what with the miniaturization of cameras now. Seems quite feasible.

1 hour ago, rustyjaw said:

Aaaaand, success! It's really fascinating to watch in real-time, you get a sense of all the intricate steps that have to go perfectly for it to land safely, pretty exciting. It's amazing how quickly they get initial pics back nowadays.

Yep, really cool to watch + follow along with as always. 

In theory the tech is there for a slideshow during descent, but they choose not to, to reduce variables/tech used during descent, I believe. 

55 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Yep, really cool to watch + follow along with as always. 

In theory the tech is there for a slideshow during descent, but they choose not to, to reduce variables/tech used during descent, I believe. 

Well apparently this time they did take pics videos during the EDL this time, at the press conference on right now they said they will have photos videos of the stages for the first time.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:18 PM, Magness said:

Loved watching the stream last night - can’t wait to see the images that little Mars helo takes :)

I’m almost looking forward to the video, taken from the rover, of it lifting off as much as anything else on this mission. That’s going to be some cool footage, assuming all goes according to plan. 

Over the weekend, JPL got 30GB of data from Perseverance. The show-stopper is the first-ever video footage by a craft of its own EDL. They strung them together to coincide with the real-time announcement of the EDL stages. Apparently all but one of the cameras worked (they had redundant backups), not bad for commercial cameras, just slightly ruggedized for space travel. 

Also, during the press conference, the EDL manager hinted that there is some kind of encoded message in the pattern that makes up the parachute. I haven’t looked, but I imagine someone has it figured out. 

Seems staged to me. The reaction where she says "what are you talking about?" just feels off and rehearsed...when someone says "there's a thing hanging out of your car" - you don't look at the person and say "what are you talking about?" - you look at the car. Also, how in the hell did she miss not only the bright red pump handle, but the 6 feet of hose on the ground as she got out, and approached them?

48 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

Seems staged to me. The reaction where she says "what are you talking about?" just feels off and rehearsed...when someone says "there's a thing hanging out of your car" - you don't look at the person and say "what are you talking about?" - you look at the car. Also, how in the hell did she miss not only the bright red pump handle, but the 6 feet of hose on the ground as she got out, and approached them?

Maryland plates and she didn't use her turn signal when pulling out? Seems legit.

(I don't think they're MD plates, but couldn't resist the dig)

17 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

100%

I dunno, I assume everything could be fake these days, just the way I filter everything.

The part you point out is this only point that I also questioned it. But she's so worked up, so flustered, she could totally be lost to 'normal' response. If it is real, she doesn't even want to be listening, so her reaction could be screwed up.

The way the guys are chill, but also seemingly caught off by the crazy feels legit, and their part is well done if fake.

What's more depressing, me giving in to 'this could be real', or you assuming it's '100% fake'?' Sadly it could be real or fake, and both possibilities suck! Krazy Karen or Fake Viral BS. Double Meh! 

Edit: you mentioned how could she walk over it? I used to work at a gas station, and we lost so many of these, and it was always unbelievable how oblivious people were. They'd rip them out, drive over to the store front and have no clue what we were telling them. So, I am totally bias here in believing she could be THAT oblivious! 

People get tunnel vision in moments of stress, so it's very easy to believe she didn't notice the hose when she got out the car. She was focused on the person following her. 'What are you talking about?' is a perfectly reasonable response to being told there's something hanging out of your car. I would've probably asked that before turning to look, as well.

4 hours ago, JTello said:

What's more depressing, me giving in to 'this could be real', or you assuming it's '100% fake'?' Sadly it could be real or fake, and both possibilities suck! Krazy Karen or Fake Viral BS. Double Meh! 

Oh I don't find the uncertainty that bothersome. If it's real, then I don't see it as a "Karen" moment really. In that case, it's a woman really freaked out by some dudes who I presume had been tailing her for a while. She had the ovaries to confront them, even though that's perhaps not the wisest decision. I agree that if it's fake it's well done, but I'm not at all convinced it is.

To me a "Karen" is a woman who publicly explodes with a shockwave of entitlement. That's not what I see here, if it's real. Embrassing, and dumb? Absolutely. But entitled? Not really.