LCVG

Who's buying Halo PC?

Beer Monkey

I will NOT be getting this one. I'm a BIG fan of this game and think it's one of the best, but I could see it not doing too well on PC since it's "just another" FPS. Let's face it, there's just not many (or any IMHO) games of Halo's caliber on the 'box, but on the PC...?

I think it was (and continues to be) such a hit on Xbox because of all the things it does right. Controlling Master Chief with a controller just feels "right" and the thought of fumbling around with a keyboard & mouse makes me ill. Plus, if I wanna get my ass handed to me I'll go play BF 1942 online.

Bring on Halo 2 for my mean, green, online killin' machine! :twisted:

I agree with a lot of what Clan said. Something about Halo with a controller "just feels right." Besides, controlling FPS's with a mouse and keyboard always made me feel disconnected and perhaps even "cheating" a bit. It doesn't take me much to point and click someone to death. heh But doing that with two-thumsticks - sonny, there's a skill there.

Regardless, I'll be there for Halo PC on street date - bring on the new modes. Should do SOMETHING to hold me over till HalfLife 2 and Halo 2.

-Rain

Funny...I never thought I'd hear the FPS control argument in reverse. :)

Historically it's, "you can't play FPS's on a console controller!" And then Halo comes around and people use it's perfect console controls to argue that it's not right to play the game with a mouse/keyboard.

LOL.

I don't how many threads I've passed over were some mouse monkey talks himself up and his mastery of the keyboard/mouse combo. Does it surprise anyone that this is a perferred method? Hell no - it's too easy and works too good.

But two clumsy, inaccurate thumbsticks REQUIRES finesse. You can't fake that. :)

Buck, be afraid, be very afraid :D .

Heres something to help:

For those having performance issues right click on the games shortcut and add "-use11" (without the quotations). This forces the game to use pixel shader version 1.1. You can also use "-use14" or "-use20" for the 1.4 and 2.0 version. I run a p43.06 gig, 768mb of ram and a 9700 pro. I have the game running with everything on high and 1280X960 resolution. Frame limiter set to 30fps and at 70hz. All the eye candy is lovely (and at the highest settings the PC version is completely the equal to if not surpassing the Xbox version in image quality) and I get a fairly smooth experience (with drops in large firefights).

The Xbox version is by far a smoother experience but with some tweaking you can get Halo running pretty nicely on a moderatoe system (though you'll inevitably be foreced to remove some of the prettiness like the specular shading and shadows. (both of which are the biggest killers of framerate next to resolution).

Well, not too bad at all on my rig. I'm running it at 1024x768 with the details at medium with shadows turned off and getting a pretty steady framerate, so I'm happy :D

Played a quick game of CTF on Blood Gulch with 15 others and had a blast. I definitely have to look into some sort of voice communication as I'm a lousy typer. What's everyones software of choice, Team Speak or Roger Wilco?

So who else has it and wants to get a game going? I'm ready whenever :green:

• 7 months later...

FINALLY!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/03/news_6095140.html

According to Gearbox, Halo CE will be a free, stand-alone, 170MB .exe based on v1.04 of the PC Halo, and will include netcode adjustments and fast shaders.

Along with Halo CE, Gearbox will release the Halo Editing Kit (HEK). The separate 250MB download will allow users to create their own custom content for Halo CE, and will include a set of tools, tutorials and art.

Here's some more info about HaloCE:

You will still need to have Halo installed to play single player Halo. The CE edition and upgrades are only available in multiplayer. This includes the fast shader technology, which is only available in multiplayer.

Basically Halo CE is what you'd use for the enhanced shader tech in multiplayer, updated netcode, and other improvements. Regular Halo must still be used for single player.