LCVG

Widescreen games on a 4:3 480i set?

merlot

As the title says, has anyone played Xbox games in widescreen mode (letterboxed) on a 4:3 set? This site just got me thinking:

Clickity click

I noticed it showed some dashboard settings I do not have (480p, 720p, 1080i, all yes or no). I can only assume this is because I do not use the Hi-Def AV pack; I use the Advanced AV pack (S-Video). I tried setting my dashboard to widescreen and letterbox, but games just run full screen. My TV (older 32" Wega) has component inputs, but my DVD player is using it. I'm curiuos, if I use the Hi-Def pack, set 480p, 720p & 1080i all to no, but set the screen to widescreen, can I play widescreen games on a letterboxed screen, the same way I watch OAR DVD's?

Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it is specific to Xbox... feel free to move it ;)

Yes, you can play (some) widescreen games in letterbox. The one that comes to mind is SSX Tricky. There are other widescreen games that I have tried, but they don't work in letterbox. SSX Tricky is in anamorphic widescreen, so this may be why it works on a 4:3 set.

I tried setting my dashboard to widescreen and letterbox

You'll want your Dashboard set to letterbox.

I do not have (480p, 720p, 1080i, all yes or no). I can only assume this is because I do not use the Hi-Def AV pack

Correct

If I understand your question right, I'll agree and say that yep, you can. I've got a 27" WEGA with the anamorphic squeeze feature and use it whenever I can. The games I typically use it on are Panzer Dragoon Orta, SSX Tricky, RalliSport Challenge, Unreal Championship, Agressive Inline, MotoGP, and the DOA (3 or xBV) games. UC, AI, and RSC sometimes seem a little too squeezed, but I know that if I play them without the squeeze, they're definitely too stretched - I think that may have to do with the calibration of my TV. :?

Wow. That is the most succinct example of illustrating the differences between resolutions and inputs I've seen so far. Makes me glad I bit the bullet on my HDTV set last month. I am already amazed with the 480p resolution and cannot wait to see a 720p game.

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ@Sep 29 2003, 01:21 PM

Wow. That is the most succinct example of illustrating the differences between resolutions and inputs I've seen so far. Makes me glad I bit the bullet on my HDTV set last month. I am already amazed with the 480p resolution and cannot wait to see a 720p game.

Get Syberia, it even has 1080i!

Originally posted by Sam P+Sep 29 2003, 01:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sam P @ Sep 29 2003, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bryan_ZZ@Sep 29 2003, 01:21 PM

Get Syberia, it even has 1080i! [/b]

Not to mention, it's a kickass adventure game, and only $19.99! :)

Wow. That is the most succinct example of illustrating the differences between resolutions and inputs I've seen so far.

I agree, what a great reference site!

I couldn't be happier with my HDTV, even if it is only a 27". It's a 4:3 Samsung, and I'm also not sure if I can get it to display widescreen or not. I'll try changing the setting to letterbox, tonight. Although I thought I tried that already.

if I use the Hi-Def pack, set 480p, 720p & 1080i all to no, but set the screen to widescreen, can I play widescreen games on a letterboxed screen, the same way I watch OAR DVD's?

Nearly every game that supports WS would appear stretched on a 4:3 TV without an anamorphic squeeze. You could do this without the HD or Advanced pack though.

When you set your DVD Player to Letterbox, the player adds black bar to the top and bottom to make it the correct Aspect Ratio. The XBox does not do this for it's games, and I wasn't aware of any games that did this but perhaps Tricky does.

Originally posted by DrunkOM@Sep 29 2003, 11:32 PM

if I use the Hi-Def pack, set 480p, 720p & 1080i all to no, but set the screen to widescreen, can I play widescreen games on a letterboxed screen, the same way I watch OAR DVD's?

Nearly every game that supports WS would appear stretched on a 4:3 TV without an anamorphic squeeze. You could do this without the HD or Advanced pack though.

When you set your DVD Player to Letterbox, the player adds black bar to the top and bottom to make it the correct Aspect Ratio. The XBox does not do this for it's games, and I wasn't aware of any games that did this but perhaps Tricky does.

After a long debate with Kev (aka lvlaster Baiter), I realized this as well. The only way for me to run widescreen games properly would be to do the anamorphic squeeze trick on my TV, through the service menu. Something I've yet to try.... but may someday.