LCVG

Tony Hawk Madness...

Brogan

Last week I pulled THPS4 out of retirement and I haven't put it down since. I'm wondering if anyone here is in that "upper echelon" of high trick combos? I was amazed when I downloaded some of these videos with guys pulling off 80 million (or more) point combos, I had enough trouble with the 500,000 combo at the Carnival. Now with some persistence, I've finally made it up to pulling off 2 million point combos but I just don't see ever making it too much higher.

As for the rest of the game's challenges; I think I've plateaued at 178 Goals, there's no way I'll ever be able to pull off some of these Pro Challenges.

Also, anyone have any tips on consistently pulling off a 'boneless'? I'm playing on the XBOX version , and there are certain goals where you need to boneless for maximum vert, but the only time I manage to do one is by pure luck.

I haven't gotten to spend too much time with my copy of THPS4 on the XBox, but I did play THPS3 on my PS2 quite a bit.

I don't remember what my highest combo was, but I could get into a rythm of very quickly combining a lot of grinds and keep it stable, which would rack up tons of points. I eventually got to where I could grind non-stop around Rio or Skater Island and rack up huge combos.

Rio was the easiest for getting really high grind combos, but I've always been more or a Vert Players, so I'd go for the high point rapid succession tricks more than the huge one combos tricks. Mainly because my grinding and manual skills are weak.

I could get some pretty big combos going in TH3 with the added inverts, I think my biggest ones were in the pool on the cruise ship.

THPS4 hasn't grabbed me like the first 3 did. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not a huge fan of the new mission structure. Although it does allow for a bit more variety, I always enjoyed seeing how many goals I could get in a single two minute period.

Plus the C-O-M-B-O and Manual goals frustrate me to no end. The score goals have been a snap so far (but I'm really not that far in).

I'm a big, big fan of the Tony Hawk series, but 4 was not for me. The difficulty level of it was above my level of play - I know guys who breezed through it, but they're far far better at it than me, and I know it ;)

I've got some reservations about 5, I really want to 'try before I buy'.

BTW, if you like THPS, it's well worth renting "Wakeboarding featuring Shaun Murray" (or Palmer, something like that) which came out recently from Activision. Top notch fun - controls exactly like the Tony Hawk series, but has sufficient twists/additions thanks to the wakeboarding system & being pulled by a speedboat, to make it worth a play. Got a lot of fun out of it - more than THPS4 to be honest.

I actually felt the same way about THPS4 until recently. I still think that some of the challenges are just flat out impossible (at least for me). On the other hand, some of the challenges that initially had me stumped, I was able to finish after much practice. Case in point the Pro Combo Challenge in Alcatraz, I thought this one was impossible, but after I found the proper line I was able to complete it. Actually the challenges that give me the most grief, are the ones where tricks are displayed in a set amount of time...not so hard at first, but eventually you have two, or more to do in a combo, very tough. Also, most of the manual and specific Pro challenges are way beyond my skill level.

I've been a big fan of all of the Tony Hawk games so far, but I thought 3 was a little easy...especially after spending time on 4. I still had a lot of fun with it though. One thing they seemed to have done on 4 was make long grinds a lot tougher so I don't think you could get away with any Rio length grinds. I'm really looking forward to Underground.

I'll have to check out the Wakeboarding game. Might even be a cheap one by now.

Thanks

I'm a big, big fan of the Tony Hawk series, but 4 was not for me. The difficulty level of it was above my level of play - I know guys who breezed through it, but they're far far better at it than me, and

I agree. I am a big fan of the series, but lord am I rubbish at 4. I need to give it a good deal of my time. I do enjoy playing it, and it's one of the games where when you finally do pull something off, you feel like you're on top of the world until you come to face the next seemingly impossible challenge.

Pro Skater 2 remains my favourite of the series.

Daniel

If you're "burned out" on the later THPS, I really strongly suggest you rent Activision's Wakeboarding game. To me, and the guys I played it with, it really reminded them of the strengths of the early games - strong level design, good tricks, and lots of rewards. The mechanic of being pulled along a level works really well, especially since you can detach/re-attach from the boat when it suits you too to access out of the way areas & do combos. It works really well.

Were there ever any significant enhancements on X-box pro-skater 2

Yes. THPS2X has a few extras that make it a worthy purchase (especially at the low price). First off, after you finish the career mode in 2 you unlock the 2X career. This is really short (I think it's 2 levels and 1 competition) but they're fun levels and exclusive to the XBOX. After you complete the 2X career you unlock the original Tony Hawk Pro Skater. Sure, I played the hell out of these on the Dreamcast but it is nice to have some improved graphics (though therey're nowhere near 3 or 4 quality) and a custom soundtrack when you get nostalgaic for the classics. They added a few other small enhancements too.

Of course if you've been playing THPS3 or 4 a lot and you go back to this you're going to get the feeling of playing in slo-motion but it's representative of the originals. I got a lot of value out of this one, plus I was going through a Dreamcast controller every couple of months from overplay of THPS2 and Crazy Taxi so I probably ended up saving money. I wish I could say the same for Crazy Taxi 3.

• 8 years later...

Interesting-I never really played 1 or 2, but I really liked 3 and 4. I'm pretty sure that 3 added reverts and made chaining combos on land a lot more viable, which really defined the way I played that game. Then 4 added a couple of new things (spine transfer I think), but just made things a LOT harder. Going back to before any of that was in the game? We'll see how it works, but I'm definitely intrigued.

In addition to the remixed original content, Tony Hawk HD will update the gameplay to match where skateboarding is today. At least, so says The Birdman himself: “We’ve updated many elements [of the game] to reflect today’s skateboarding scene as well. Long-time fans of the series will appreciate the huge amount of polished content at a very low price.”

As always, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD will feature a wide variety of skateboarding pros including Tony Hawk, Nyjah Huston, Chris Cole, Eric Koston, Andrew Reynolds, Rodney Mullen, Lyn-z Adams Hawkins (Pastrana), and Tony’s son, Riley Hawk (who was just six years old when the first THPS was released).