LCVG

Lost in Translation

secretvampire

I saw this film last Saturday night, and I was just totally blown away. I really love Bill Murray, and this was possibly the best performance I've seen out of him...I hope he doesn't get overlooked AGAIN at Oscar time this year. Add a beautifully shot view of Tokyo by Sofia Coppola (I think we can finally forgive her horrendous acting now, this is her redemption) and an equally strong performance by Scarlett Johansson and you have the best film I have seen this year!

EDIT: Ah yes, and the couple of scenes in Japanese arcades were wonderful to see the truly amazing games they have there (that we'll never see :( ).

Great movie! I really enjoyed this. I also thought this was one of Bill Murray's best performances. And very funny ("Aren't you going to wish me to have a good fright?")!

I think this was a HUGE leap forward for Sofia Coppola as a director. Also, it's worth noting that the music and soundtrack was fantastic. Any movie that has the Mary Chain's "Just Like Honey" has got to be pretty good.

If I had one complaint, it was that I found it kind of hard to believe in Johansson's attraction to Murray (their characters, that is). Age difference, blah blah blah.

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Sep 29 2003, 12:53 PM

If I had one complaint, it was that I found it kind of hard to believe in Johansson's attraction to Murray (their characters, that is). Age difference, blah blah blah.

Strangely enough, I didn't have any problem with that, but I never fully believed in her marriage to Giovanni Ribisi. I can see them dating for a while but marriage? Nah :)

After hearing the reviews on NPR and listening to the soundtrack for the last couple of weeks, I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Unfortunately, none of the local theaters have picked this up yet, and when they do it'll probably run for about 4 days before it gets booted for something else.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the music...it was just great, both the score and the songs used to great effect (Just Like Honey was PERFECT for that scene). Not to mention I totally loved the songs in the kareoke scenes...Bill Murray's rendition of "More Than This" was fitting, and there is something wonderful about seeing a Japanese man screaming out "God Save the Queen" in broken English. :D I will have to keep an eye out for the soundtrack...

I saw this on Friday and enjoyed it, although I probably enjoyed revisiting the sights and sounds of Tokyo more than I enjoyed the characters and the story. It was probably just another case of a movie not living up to the hype and great reviews, but it didn't meet my (admittedly somewhat unrealistic) expectations. :(

I guess my biggest problem with the movie was that I have a hard time sympathizing with people who would rather sit around in their hotel rooms and mope than to get out and explore one of the biggest, most exciting cities in the world. They were only there for what, a week? I know they were lonely and dissatisfied with their lives, but bored in Tokyo? That's kind of hard to swallow.

Originally posted by iCamp@Sep 29 2003, 09:35 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing it...though I still have a grudge against Sophia Coppola for screwing up The Godfather III.

Blame Francis for that. Anyone else would have fired her after the first day, or actually, never hired her in the first place. Worst. Casting. Evar.

Finally saw this tonight and absolutely loved it. Everything in it hit the spot for me perfectly. Loved both the leads, loved the directing, loved the scenary. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Quite possibly my favourite film of the year so far, unless there's something I've forgotten about...

Ah yes, and the couple of scenes in Japanese arcades were wonderful to see the truly amazing games they have there (that we'll never see ).

All three of the games they focused on are available for the home market - Guitar Kings, Pop'n'Music & the drum game (whose name I forget) are all on the PS2. Hell, I've got Pop'N'Music 2 for the Dreamcast ;)

Pop'n'Music

Is THAT what that game was? Damn, and here I was thinking it was Beatmania for some reason.

Anyway, that aside, I concur that this was an awesome movie. One of the few movies in quite some time I've wanted to go back and watch again in theaters. Bill Murray is amazing in his role, and he gets some great laughs, even though the movie isn't a comedy.

Highly recommend from me too!

All three of the games they focused on are available for the home market

Domestically??? Although I've bought a few import Saturn games, I'm nowhere near ready to mod my PS2 and buy a bunch of insanely priced import peripherals for use with a single game! :? My point was also you will never see those games in an arcade here either...

Domestically???

True, they're Japan only... But they're still available ;) Third-party Guitar Freaks controllers are fairly cheap, last time I looked. The Drum Game can be picked up for around $100 inc game, and is well worth it from what I've been told (it's the basis of Donkey Konga BTW). Pop'n'music isn't hard to pick up but the controllers are hard to find.

Guitar Freaks is a lot of fun.

Pop'n'music is definitely an acquired taste - it's a very simple game, just with hard patterns to follow - beatmania is much more fun, though still very hard... I've got a nice lil European Beatmania controller I could demonstrate this on...

My point was also you will never see those games in an arcade here either...

Pretty sure I've seen Guitar Freaks varations over here.

Originally posted by ChoiceStriker@Sep 29 2003, 12:54 PM

I guess my biggest problem with the movie was that I have a hard time sympathizing with people who would rather sit around in their hotel rooms and mope than to get out and explore one of the biggest, most exciting cities in the world. They were only there for what, a week? I know they were lonely and dissatisfied with their lives, but bored in Tokyo? That's kind of hard to swallow.

I had similar issues with the movie, and I've also been to Tokyo. Perhaps that's the problem.

I thought it was a good movie, but not as earth-shattering as many people would have me believe. Some of a dialogue was trite and the movie relied a bit too much on Bill Murray's quirkiness.

I hear "I just love Bill Murray" more than I hear "I just loved the movie." That's telling. To me, at least.

Originally posted by stencil+Oct 7 2003, 09:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stencil @ Oct 7 2003, 09:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ChoiceStriker@Sep 29 2003, 12:54 PM

I had similar issues with the movie, and I've also been to Tokyo. Perhaps that's the problem. [/b]

I don't think it was that they were just bored. It seemed like they were already feeling detached before they got there and being in a country with such a different culture just exacerbated it, especially since it didn't seem like either one of them went there because of any particular desire to. Japan seemed like a good choice for the setting. While I've never been there myself, I've heard such different things from people who have visited. Some people fit right in and loved it while others couldn't get over the feeling that they were zoo animals or that the entire country was playing a practical joke on them :)

• 1 month later...

I just saw this last night and enjoyed it very much. I can't remember the last time I saw a film communicate a sense alienation from society (and in the case of these two characters, their lives, as well).

I see from Ebert's review that he believes we can't hear the words Bob whispered into Charlotte's year because it's a private moment and the characters have become real.

I have a slightly different take on it: Maybe Coppola is showing us the everday dramas that unfold on the sidewalk; we see the culmination of their relationship as strangers on the sidewalk.

And, of course, leaving any resolution vague enough for each viewer to apply his or her own interpretation, thus creating an opportunity for the viewer to investigate why he or she has that interpretation.

-j

• 1 month later...

Ok so I'm horribly late here but I finally got a chance to see Lost in Translation last night.

I loved every last minute of it.

Those that know me know that Bill Murray is almost an idol to me. The man is a comedic genuis and I've watched every last piece of work hes ever done and even when the project is crap I can always count on him to deliver.

Lost in Translation is his best role to date. Its amazing how a human being can elicit laughter with but a simple look but Murray manages to do it more than once. The scene with the japanese director and the interpretor was hilarious. I wont even go into the roleplay session ( :lmfao: ).

The two leads had killer chemistry and I was suprised at how unconventional the progression of thier friendship/relationship was. It would ahve been easy to take the easy way out and bring the sexuality and taboo associated with the characters age difference but Coppola manages to make the entire movie sweet and childlike. The ending brought a tear or two and Im more than willing to admit that. It was a great moment and the perfect end. (What in the world did he say!?)

A must see and a must own when released on DVD.