LCVG

What is Your Broadband Speed? (Use Test Method in 1st Post)

Dave C

2 hours ago, Camp said:

Odd. Somehow that's not the case on mine. I must have broke something when looking for it.

Huh, I'm on an older OS 10.13, perhaps they changed it on a newer release? Personally, I usually hate the drop shadow, when I'm just taking a screenshot of a window to share, or something. I usually just use the crosshairs to select the window contents. Still, it's curious that you aren't getting the shadow.

1 hour ago, kelley said:

Good bye Eero, hello Ubiquiti.  I just got my Dream Machine Pro router, 24 port Pro Gen 2 switch, 4 Flex HD AC Wave 2 access points in.  This is going to be my weekend project.

Daaayuuum - that's a nice setup.

Let me know how it goes - I've been waiting for something like the Dream Machine Pro, as I want to setup some cameras. Sounds like the Dream Machine Pro router + 24 port POE switch is a nice combo

On 4/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, kelley said:

Good bye Eero, hello Ubiquiti.  I just got my Dream Machine Pro router, 24 port Pro Gen 2 switch, 4 Flex HD AC Wave 2 access points in.  This is going to be my weekend project.

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't familiar with ubiquiti before, but it seems much more user friendly than the Snap-AV Araknis WAPs I had in my old house. Will probably go this direction when the new house is built.

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, NickC said:

Just bought the following for our new house.

UniFi nanoHD x3

UniFi Switch PRO 24 PoE

UniFi Dream Machine Pro

That’s my setup, except I use FlexHD access points. When we moved I also added 2 USW-Lite-8-POE and 2 USW-Flex-Mini switches. 

3 hours ago, Camp said:

I'm guessing these are commercial devices being adapted for home use? What benefits do these bring over top of the line consumer level router options? Very curious.

More direct control, although a lot of the high end stuff these days give you more control than in the past.

27 minutes ago, kelley said:

That’s my setup, except I use FlexHD access points. When we moved I also added 2 USW-Lite-8-POE and 2 USW-Flex-Mini switches. 

More direct control, although a lot of the high end stuff these days give you more control than in the past.

Yeah, my setup is based off yours, the switch is probably overkill for me, but gives me more options in the future, how do you like the FlexHD access points? Range pretty good?

Also, what rack are you using? I still need to get one.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

Nice setup! I wish I could use my edgerouter and some unifi stuff but it seems ridiculously complicated with AT&T Fiber, since you’re forced to use their gateway. It’s the one major downside to their service that I’ve seen.

Yep.  And having lived in my house for nearly 5 years, I decided to see if they had upgraded their gateways.  I called them up, asked if there was a newer one I could get. They said Sure, we'll send it right out.  

Nope. It was the exact same model.

Carlos. 

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

Nice setup! I wish I could use my edgerouter and some unifi stuff but it seems ridiculously complicated with AT&T Fiber, since you’re forced to use their gateway. It’s the one major downside to their service that I’ve seen.

Which gateway do you have? I managed to solder a uart dongle on mine - BGW210 - and I was able to extract the certificates by downgrading the firmware. It’s a bit involved but not too bad.

I was planning to use this once I got my UDM pro: https://github.com/pbrah/wpa_supplicant-udmpro

So I can bypass the gateway entirely eventually.

I recently moved into ATT Fiber territory. I have the BGW in IP Passthrough mode. Seems to be working fine for me.

The Startech racks on amazon are good quality, flexible, and cheap. I am currently using a Samson rack that is designed for music equipment but it works for the Ubiquiti gear. I went with the Samson because it was cheaper than the Startech on the day I ordered and I don’t ever plan on putting in a full sized server.

The FlexHD’s are fine. Same guts as the NanoHD. If I had ceiling jacks I’d have gone with the Nano. 

Yes just put your Comcast modem into Bridge mode and turn off the WiFi if you are using their modem. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got everything setup, well mostly, and it was relatively painless, though I still have a lot to learn and dig into. The only issue I ran into appears to be a bad CAT6 cable to one of my WAP locations, the nano hd powered on with POE, but was only connected via wireless mesh, when I disabled that it disconnected from network. To troubleshoot I've moved the cable to different ports on the switch and swapped nano hds, same result. I then tried connecting to every CAT6 location on that floor, tested those locations in the original switch port, and no issues with any of them. So the cable appears to be passing power, but not data, I then tested a laptop directly into the trouble cable and was able to pass data. So it appears to be something with the cable, but I haven't figured out why.

Seeing this thread actually made me check my speed in the home office and...70/10....wtf?  I should be getting 250/20.  Ended up trying another laptop up here and same thing (this is all wired BTW).  Took the gigabit switch in this room out of the pipeline-still slow.  Took the gigabit switch in the basement out of the pipeline-still slow.  Connect direct to the router-fine.  Continuity test the cable going to the basement switch-not getting all 4 pairs.  Unbend the wire a little-all 8 lights on.  I should probably re-do the ends of that cable, but I can't remember how much slack there is, and that wasn't a fun run to do.  Ethernet is still better than wifi every day of the week though!

But, end result: 230.45 down, 9.96 up from speedtest.net.  Still not quite what I'm paying for (250/20), but a hell of a lot better than what I was getting.  Also explains why Xbox streaming was crap to the basement if that was only at 100mb instead of gb.