LCVG

The Bard's Tale is back!

heavy liquid

Announcement at GameSpot

Any other Bard's Tale fans here? I loved The Bard's Tale. I would stay up all night with my Commodore 64, wandering around in dungeons, hitting attack-attack-attack-defend-defend-defend countless times. But do you think the new Bard's Tale be any good? It certainly looks nothing like The Bard's Tale I remember:

tale_screen002.jpg

My best friend and I played Bard's Tale endlessly on his C64...we'd stay up literally all night wandering around the town/country/dungeons. Same with Ultima III and IV.

Bard's Tale was cool because it was in 1st person...although that's stretching it a bit since it was really just a collection of 2D stills that you 'moved' through, but still, in those days that was hot shit.

Bard's Tale was cool because it was in 1st person...although that's stretching it a bit since it was really just a collection of 2D stills that you 'moved' through, but still, in those days that was hot shit.

Oh yeah, the "first-person" view blew my mind when I first saw it back then. Please note the quotations.

Looking at the screenshots, I think they're making a mistake by not keeping it in first-person when exploring the various towns and dungeons. My fear is that it will have nothing left of the original game except the name only.

I'll reserve judgement until the game comes out, leaving it is 1st person might not appeal to the PS2 youngins these days who never lived through the C64 golden days. They would see that kind of I/F and immediately dismiss it as 'crappy'. I suspect that it has bards and little dogs in it, which sounds like a good start :green:

There are emulators available on the net of all three games.

Anyone else spent countless hours leveling up your characters in the room full of 4 groups of 99 berzerkers each?

Cluebook for BT1

I knew the coordinates to the room so I would constantly teleport to the room in Harkyn's Castle, cast Manger's Mind Blade on all foes until everyone was dead, rinse and repeat. My characters got to be high enough level that I could kill them all in one or two rounds.

I basically walked through the rest of the game from there. :P

Hahah, I did the same exact thing with the berserkers. This was a LONG time ago, but as I recall, the only somewhat painful thing was waiting for all the berserkers who survived my initial onslaught to finish attacking me. That was a lot of berserkers.

"Tell me two things you knuckleheads, to split the rock!"