LCVG

What's the most money you've ever spent on games?

Derrik Draven

The most I ever spent at one time, was a little over $200. It's been a pretty good while, actually, since the games were for the PSOne, back when it was THE one.

I walked into EB and lo and behold, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (the best), Disruptor (a weak fps), the original Tomb Raider (need I say anything), and another game (can't remember), were all there, ready for purchase.

So, I bought all 4 of them. Gaming bliss....ahhhh...

To be honest, though, with several games to play, it was hard to concentrate on any one game. It was like "ohh, I play some of this...now I'll play some of this, or this"!!!

Seems easier to buy one at a time. :D

I start to get a little uncomfortable when the $100 figure rolls around, so most of my purchases are single games. I may have gone as high as $120 once, but that would be it. Asking how frequently I go is a story for another thread, however!

I figured that I will be dropping over $250 between the middle of October and the end of November. TopSpin Tennis, Links 2004, Crimson Skies, Rainbow Six 3 and one or two others are in my sights. Ouch!

At one time? Its hard for me to remember, though over the past 3 weeks Ive spent near $400 on games alone. (Voodoo Vince, Billy Hatcher, Ratchet and Clank, Jax and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Temple of Elemental Evil, Raystorm PS1, Activision Anthology, Simpsons Hit and Run, ESPN Football etc... etc.. etc... ).

On average Id say I buy 2 games a week. The most I ever spent at one time was on my Xbox purchase. First day of launch, I got the Xbox, memory card, second controller and 3 games. Ended up being over 600 or so. Fun times :D

I'm the same way as Romier 1-2 games a week, sometimes more.

This past week(end) I bought:

Tron 2.0

Homeworld 2

Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WW2

With Final Fantasy Tactics Advance & Halo possibly later this week or early next week.

My problem is that I still have a backlog of games to catch up on, like some classics for PS2 that I still haven't picked up yet. But in essence, I buy a LOT of games, usually at one time because I figure I might as well blow a whole wad of cash at one moment rather than a little at a time.

But in essence, I buy a LOT of games, usually at one time

Same here. I dont mind the backlog. For the most part I always *LIKE* to have a backlog because I've always got something I need to finish and want to play. This year has been very good for me in terms of beating games. I've gone through a load of them and am glad I spent the money. My big "genre" problem is RPG's anymore as I findi t difficult to devote the time needed to complete them. Kotor was an exception. Temple of Elemental Evil has been great and Im replaying Baldurs Gate 2 right now but Im still about halfway through XenoSaga and have neglected some others like Dark Cloud 2 which I REALLY! want to play through.

I'll be picking up Halo this week on the PC for the multiplayer and thats about it (if even that considering how many titles I'll be getting this month.) My purchases for October:

*** = Definite buy, no matter what.

**= Should be coming home with me

* = If time permits

**Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike (GC)

**Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Xbox)

**XIII (Xbox)

**Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (Xbox)

*Morrowind GOTY (Xbox)

*Rent-A-Hero No. 1 (Xbox)

**Xbox Music Mixer

*Arx Fatalis (Xbox)

***Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox)

**Top Spin (Xbox)

*Amped 2 (Xbox)

**Jak II (PS2)

*Virtual On: Marz (PS2)

*Time Crisis 3 (PS2)

***Castlevania Lament of Innocence (PS2)

EDIT: Forgot to include PC games:

**Max Payne 2: The Fall of max Payne

*Curse Eye of Isis

*Black Mirror

**The Sims makin Magic (For the wife)

*Gothic II (have the UK version)

***Silent Hill 3 (PC)

*Final Fantasy XI (PC)

***Call of Duty

Poor wallet. :lmfao:

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Sep 30 2003, 03:41 PM
But in essence, I buy a LOT of games, usually at one time

Same here. I dont mind the backlog.

Very interesting. I usually talk myself OUT of buying into a backlog using the rationale that if I have too many games to play at once, I'll never get good at any of them, nor will I finish the ones with a definite ending.

I tell myself to buy a game, play it until I beat it or get bored with it, and ONLY THEN buy the next game to come along.

Of course it doesn't always work out that way. I bought GR:IT even though I haven't finished RTCW yet, even though I swore that I would wait.

Same here. I dont mind the backlog.

I guess I take the opposite approach. I try to hold off as long as possible before buying a game, until I have time to play it. The simple reason...economics. The prices of newer games are constantly deminishing...I'd rather they be deminishing while being in somebody else's possession, not mine, until it is time to play! I think by being just a couple of months to a year behind the curve, I save hundreds of dollars...and still have plenty of quality stuff to play in the meantime.

I think by being just a couple of months to a year behind the curve, I save hundreds of dollars

Sure, its a completely understandable point of view. For me however, when you have to write reviews and want to have loads of content stored up for this site, all the while lacking prerelease review copies of most game, you have to bite the bullet and play as much as possible. Thankfully I have the disposable income for this kind of purchasing right now, though I'll soon be buying a house with the love of my life (my wife not the Dreamcast ;) ) so I'll be cutting back on game buying. However this site is one of the big reasons Ive been so much better about beating games this year!

I fall between vamp and future.

Like to hold off on anything that isn't a must-have title for as long as possible. If the reviews are all favorable, I'll pick it up used or wait for a sale to add it in. The exception here is online games. It is always best to get an online title the day it comes out so that everyone you meet online is fresh as well. The very best times I have had with any online title (DAOC, Anarchy Online, Wolfenstein Xbox, Mechassault) were in the first week of owning it. After that, the 'professionals' start to move in and pretty soon you need a known group of players to have a guaranteed good time.

Wow, Future -- when can I drop by your place to borrow say, 32 games or so this Xmas?!? :green:

I am, in essence, the gaming industry's bitch. However, I have gotten better about "shopping around" and buying from the used market or waiting for retail prices to drop. I have a big backlog that I'm starting to feel pretty guilty about...probably enough for a couple of rainy months or years now. :cry: ;) I really need to set aside more time for playing some of these games. I think once I get all my gear "organized", and my HT more towards something that's easy to start up rather than the half-jury-rigged mess it is now, it'll also be easier to just sit down and pick up a game, rather than the chore of setting everything up and getting things running right like it is now.

I like to have finished every game in my inventory. I've even started taking games back for refunds to chip away at the price of a new one.

Only certain games; a few, do I keep. They have to really mean something to me, like Ico or Halo, ect. I have about a dozen or so PS2 games that I need to trade in and a few Xbox titles.

I just can't stand having a ton of games that need to be completed. I'm the type of person that has to complete something before moving onto the next.

Buying 4 games at once was kind of overwhelming for me. :D

$120 + tax for Samba De Amigo + 1 set of maracas was fairly high.

Including hardware, I spent 350ukp for a Saturn + 3 games with my first paycheque from DMA back in January 1996 I think. And to add insult to injury, I had to pay 20ukp on top of that for a RF lead.

Then I paid 600ukp (spread over six months, thanks to a work sponsored scheme) for a Playstation (my beloved NetYaroze).

I did manage to spend 140ukp on US Dreamcast games one weekend - can't recall what, but I know Hydro Thunder was involved.

On one of my trips to the US before I moved here, I spent around $200 on games, and saved a bundle doing so - it'd have easily cost me 250ukp to buy the same games.

Generally though these days, I really don't spend much on games at all. Two reasons - we moved into our first house nine months ago, and budgeting for that has changed my spending habits a good bit, and secondly, the end of the Dreamcast really spoiled me - great games for $5 or $10.

You, my friend, have a good excuse!

One that I wish worked on my wife more often ;)

Seriously though I can never talk about game budget without mentioning my wife. She is one of the most understanding people in the galaxy. She knows she married an complete geek of a gamer and she never says a word about a single purchase I make (Ok so she said a few when I got Steel Batallion :D ). She is the bomb and i couldn't ask for a better partner! (though it costs me in shoes, bath and body works and clothes).

I buy at least one game a week, usually. I try not to buy full-priced or new release games, unless they are online. Live play seems to have a short shelf-life before we move on to something else. I have Rainbow 6 pre-ordered, and I'll be picking up Viewtiful Joe, XIII, Top Spin, and Crimson Skies right away. Those games look like too much fun to wait on. I'm on the fence about Links 2004 and Counter-Strike. I try not to buy new games if I have other examples of that genre already. My problem is mainly with games on sale. When I see a game I know is good at half-price, I can't resist getting it, even though with a one-year-old daughter to take care of, I don't have much gametime to begin with. I have a dozen unopened games, and I won't count how many are barely played. I've got a solo vacation coming up where I hope to really pack in some gameplay.

-Bingo Dogbert,... Thanks, you just reminded me of my most expensive single purchasing excusion, Samba de Amigo, $115! I was racking my brain trying to figure out anything beyond $50 or $60. I'm usually a single game at a time shopper, unless the price is right. (although I'd buy more if I could find the time and money,... but who here wouldn't say that ;) )

-I could see the Samba purchase being eclipsed when Steel Batallion 2 ships -playable online :green:

The most I ever spent in one day at a game store was the day I preordered Steel Battalion in full. Along with my preorder I purchased 5 games, don't remember which ones exactly, but they were for multiple systems and all $50. So, when I walked out of EB, I was over $450 lighter in the wallet :shock:

Anybody else have stories about ludicrously expensive single-game purchases? Imports, possibly?

Argh...for all my talk of budget-minded game buying, I did once spend $100 on a japanese import copy of the Dungeons and Dragons Collection for Sega Saturn. :oops: It IS two games though, and one of my favorite arcade games ever from my youth, so it was worth it.