LCVG

ATI's 9800 and 9600 XT announced.

Romier S

ATI just announced thier latest card lineup with a speed boosted 9800 and 9600 pro. Titled the 9800 and 9600 XT. Feature listed below:

The $499 Radeon 9800 XT runs significantly faster than the current card. The core chip speed is 412MHz, and the card is equipped with 256MB of 365MHz DDR2 memory, as compared to 380MHz and 340MHz for the 9800 Pro. Between the raw speed increase and efficiency improvements, ATI expects the new card to have roughly 20 percent better performance than the 9800 Pro. The card also features a new cooling system with a larger, slower fan that's designed to be quieter.

Taken from this article: ATI's next step

The tidbit about the overdrive software allowing for overclocking that *DOES NOT* void the warranty is very interesting!

Heres a full on review for the 9800 card:

9800 XT review

Im serious about the 9700 pro being for sale. Im very interested in picking up the 9800 XT and am wanting to unload my current card.

With all the games and dvd's coming out in the next few months I won't be doing any upgrades until early next year. Prices on the XT should be much lower by then. I'd also like to see what Nvidia will be bringing out to counter this.

The tidbit about the overdrive software allowing for overclocking that *DOES NOT* void the warranty is very interesting!

This sounds similar to the overclocking utility that Gainward offered in some of their Geforce Golden Sample cards in the past.

. Prices on the XT should be much lower by then. I'd also like to see what Nvidia will be bringing out to counter this.

NV40 is due to be unveiled in December-January last I heard with a release due next February. Next March ATI should see the release of their next generation hardware based on the R420 chipset (they are leaving behind the R300 design of the currnet cards). I'm hoping the NV40 is a good card, competition in this industry is SO important to help reduce prices (which are still too high) though it seems like Nvidia is really focusing on their line of motherboards right now above all else.

I am needing a new videocard soon, the hamster that powers my Radeon 7200 is starting to get worn out ;) What are you guys looking to get for your old cards? Any trades/exchanges that you might consider? I have a stock of DVDs, Xbox games, PS2 games, etc, although I couldn't imagine having anything Romier hasn't already bought!

I was thinking about getting the 9600 TX for $149 (consider HL2 as $50 spent anyway) whenever Valve gets it gold, but I could move earlier if there was a good deal.

Send me a PM or something if you guys want to sell your cards. I wasn't going to go quite so hardcore as a 9700/9800 pro, but maybe it could work out...

Also have a tip top Harman Kardon 520 receiver sitting in the spare room downstairs if that floats your boat. Was going to put it on eBay to fund the PC upgrade, but could throw that into a deal if someone needed a kick butt dolby digital/dts 7.1 receiver. As always, seems like I have more toys than cash...