LCVG

What Would You Do

Josh

I recently ordered a Yamaha DVD Player from an online merchant for a decent price.

Today I received a Yamaha Receiver from said online merchant instead.

The receiver is worth about 2-3 times as much as the DVD player.

First off, I don't really want the receiver. It's not as good as the one I currently have.

I do want the DVD player.

I can do a couple things...

I can tell this company that they sent me the wrong thing and get it exchanged for the right thing or get refunded.

I can sell this receiver for more than I paid for it and turn around and buy the DVD player again.

...What would you do?

I can tell this company that they sent me the wrong thing and get it exchanged for the right thing or get refunded.

That would be me. I'm no saint and I've done my share of wrong things but in my experience these kinds of situations come back to bite you in the ass. Thats just me however. I prefer to get what I paid for honestly and leave it at that with no worries.

This is one of those ethics questions, isn't it? (I knew there was a reason I flunked that class in college.)

It's a tough spot. I would be a bit bothered if they didn't offer you something for your honesty, but I guess that is the right thing to do. Return the receiver and then see if they treat you nice.

Glen

Can I be the sole voice of dissent here? :D

Screw 'em! They made the mistake, not you! Keep it! Sell it to someone else make a profit off of it, and then buy a better DVD player!

:twisted:

Ok, I'm through now. But seriously, do what you think is best. If you're gonna feel guilty about keeping it, and you can't live with guilt, do the honest thing. If not, well, you know what to do. :)

I'm with Chris on this one. I would sell the thing and use the money to buy another DVD player. How many times do events conspire to screw you out of money? Your car breaks down 2000 miles past its warranty...the HDTV you bought a few years ago lacks a new-fangled DVI input and will soon be obsolete...your company lays you off a year after you buy your first house...

You have to play all the bad bounces that life throws at you, hell you might as well play one of the very few good bounces that came your way.