LCVG

Lost Childhood

Chatakinns

I was looking at some of Sara's teddy bears the other day and I remembered my first bear. ( I know it was my first bear because there are pictures of him in my crib with me ) I lugged that poor bear everywhere I went. He even went to girl scout camp with me one year. Anyway ... he has gone to that bear heaven now, but I was thinking about all the other really cool toys I had when I was a kid that have been lost/left behind, ruined by someone my folks made me share them with, well loved to destruction by me, or so entertaining I played them to death. Other than " Little Bear " I regret opening my Optimus Prime original Transformer. ( oh god if I only knew .... ) letting my brother use my Barbie dolls as war hostages ( the heads make great grenades ).

I had the little helicoptor that was attached to a wire and you could control it up and down, backwards and forwards, ( they made a StarTrek ship one too ) and the GI Joe dolls that were tall with the hinges on the wrists and the feet, knees and other joints. And the hair was painted on them. Back in the 60's, when GI Joe was not fighting Cobra Commander.

So, do you have any lost childhood toys ? I bet most of us have one Transformer we wish we had left in the package .....

I have almost all of my childhood toys and stuffed animals (Mr. Bear included... my first stuffed animal.)

Our family was very poor throughout most of the late 70's and 80's and as a result I hung onto almost every gift that I ever got.

I told myself that I would give them to my children one day, and if they're interested in them... they're welcome to them. :)

Glen

We didn't have much money, either, but would that I had kept the Millennium Falcon I received for Christmas when I was five. I played with that thing for years. It wouldn't be worth much now given that it's opened and showing some wear and tear, but the sentimental value would be everything to me.

*Confession coming* I've been a Star Wars collector for years and have more boxes of the stuff than I can count now, but that one will always be my favorite.

I had this giant (at the time... I'm sure in retrospect it's not so giant) box of Legos that I would dump on my floor and get to work for hours. I'd love to do that again.

My favorite Star Wars toy was my snowspeeder. Would love to have that thing again.

My embarrassing "toy" would be a security blanket I had until I was probably around 9 or 10. I called it "Tickle."

Oh - and when I checked for new posts this morning, this "Lost Childhood" thread just right under the JobBenet Ramsey thread.

A lot of the childhood toys that are sentimental to me are in glass cases in the "play room."

Star Wars, Voltron, Indiana Jones figures, He-Man, and of course, Transformers, etc., etc. Many have been lost over the years, naturally, but I still have quite a lot left. I should post a pic...

My favorite Star Wars toy was my snowspeeder. Would love to have that thing again.

Same here. I threw mine out on my own. One day when I was around 14 I deemed my self too old to still have toys of such nature. Chucked a fully operational Snowspeeder with all the parts including the grapling hook in the trash. I remember thinking a week later, what the hell did I do. Thinking about it now even hurts worse because it took me about 5 years of begging Santa for one. What a dumb a$$.

There was also a toy from when I was about 3-5 years old I had that I remember playing with but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I think it was associated with eviel keneviel, but it might not have been. It was a gun that shot a little hot wheels type car accross the floor over a jump and through barrels and loops and such. It was awesome. Just wish I could remember the name of it.

My other thing was Trains, but just last year I started collecting them again. I only had a couple HO sets as a kid, so last year I bought some nice O gauge Lionel sets. Probably will buy more this year.

Many of my Star Wars and GI Joe's got shot, blown up and set afire. The few that escaped a horrible end were given away.

Ah, yes. I discovered the joys of gasoline as well.

When I did an interview with Danny Elfman years ago, we spent a good 20 minutes talking about the best ways to destroy toys. We also talked about ordering radio isotopes from scientific magazines and fucking around with that and photosensitive paper. We both determined it's a wonder that we didn't each have seven testicles and mutant babies (although the latter has yet to be seen).

Transformers, He-man, and Legos for me. I think Slate had an article about all the homosexual undertones of He-man a few months ago...way to ruin a great childhood memory.

I still consider manipulating a green army man with parachute combined with 3 twisted together bottle rockets that shot 50 feet in the air and openend perfectly as one of my life's crowning achievements.

Traumatic childhood memory: I had Skeletor's castle, the one with the microphone, at about age 6. My Mom baby-sitted a neighbor girl that I despised named Erin West. One day, Mom let Erin play with the castle and I walked in to see her Barbie dolls prancing around Skeletor's Castle to Erin saying, "Attention shoppers, there's sale in the shoe store." I was furious. I mention Erin's name specifically for the reason that if any of you know her, please pull her hair for me. As best I remember, she eats her own boogers and smells like cats...please be on the lookout.

I must say that one of the great joys of fatherhood, that I never even considered before the fact, is watching my son develop his own favorites. I try not to force my preferences on him, but it's the best feeling in the world when he plays with toys I used to love. He's only 18 months now, but I introduced "forts" to him this past weekend made of pillows, blankets, and couch cushions...he loved them as much I did.

Any people play with Fisher Price Construx back in the day?

I made a giant Construx hockey rink when I was a kid, had the nets away from the boards, made sticks with one of the longer pieces and one of the curves and used tires for pucks.

I also made "normal" things like trucks and such... but that hockey rink was a blast to play with when I had a friend over.

Glen

Hehe, of course now I'm on the other side of the fence.

I have 2 boys, 5 and 3, and a third on the way in October. I walk around the house and think, "Holy Cow! There are freakin' toys everywhere. I need to get rid of half of these damn things so I can walk around again." Our kids aren't alone in this, what's up with Grandparents these days thinking it isn't Xmas until the kids have had $150 worth of toys dumped on them?

I don't throw it out though, usually donate it to the battered women's shelter, lupus, children's hosipital, or salvation army.

I guess I'm destroying my kid's childhood memories? Ah well, I guess all that shelter/food/heat/love comes at a price ;)

Thomas will appreciate this. I had a Mr. T doll sometime around 1984 that was about 12" tall, had feather earrings that could move. I was the youngest and my bro & sis used to flip them upside down and pretend he was flying...used to infuriate me.

My best friend bought a pack of Bubblicious when we were in the 4th grade and won the grand prize of every Thunder Cats toy in existance....2 weeks after the contest ended. They denied his prize and he ended up with a Snarf doll.

Anyone else get into Micro Machines or Muscle Men? Man, thinking about all this makes work really suck today...I want to go home and play!

Yeah, in terms of value, I'd like to have back the X-wing Fighter toy I had back in the late 70's. I have no idea what happened to it.

In terms of sentimentality, I'd like to have back the LightCycle toy from Tron. I have seen a new version for sale, but for some reason the new one's don't appeal to me, even though they look the same.

I'm still angry that I was a kid before they came out with those little motorized monster trucks that you could sit in and drive.:bh

My embarrassing "toy" would be a security blanket I had until I was probably around 19 or 20. I called it "Tickle."

Damn that is embarrassing. Your girlfriends must have freaked out.:P

I'm still angry that I was a kid before they came out with those little motorized monster trucks that you could sit in and drive.:bh

Damn that is embarrassing. Your girlfriends must have freaked out.:P

When I was 19, I had another toy I called "Tickle." Same name, different manifestation.

I was very fortunate that my parents stored most of my toys in the attic after I stopped playing with them. Last year my mom upgraded her dining room and sent us her old table, chairs, and china cabinet. There was still room in the moving truck, and she included 4 boxes of my old toys. I felt like a kid again as I unpacked them...Star Wars and He-Man figures/vehicles, Legos, He-Man, Transformers, and Garbarge Pail Kids. I was amazed I could remember how to, umm transform, the transformers. I had also cut out the little information cards from the backs of their packaging and it was fun to read through those again. Although I couldn't find the little clear red plastic strip that you would use to find the hidden power ratings of each transformer. I also used to keep the AT-AT stored in the original box, and I was very happy to see that made the trip, but that box hasn't held up very well over the years.

Aside from giant boxes of Legos, my favorite toy as a kid was a giant plastic Godzilla, probably 18" tall or so. It had a claw that was spring loaded and could shoot across the room. That thing was awesome, I have no idea when I got rid of it. My mom stumbled across one in an antique store a year or 2 ago, and it was selling for north of $100. If I only knew...

A

I still have many of my toys from when i was younger. Most of them are all beat up. Have a bunch of toys from ESB (Snow Trooper, Londo, etc..) and ROTJ (Emperors Guard, Ewoks, Luke in black Jedi Outfit, etc.) I also have the original Land Speeder. Lots of He-man stuff. My favorite toys from back then are my Voltron figures, and the giant robot which seperates into the 5 lions. This one is the real deal where you can put the figures inside the robot. Built like a tank. Still have it complete, with the entire Voltron crew. Also have a bunch fo the bad guys as well with there Coffins of doom. Speaking of Voltron. The first set comes out on DVD next month. wOOt.

The ones im kind of sad I broke when i was younger were my set of Centurians. I had all the add on pieces and such. Thundercats and a few others dissapeared into oblivion (AKA the trash)