LCVG

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part IX- How Long till Part X?

Adam Tyner

*ADMIN*

To Reference past threads here are some handy links

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part I

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part II

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part III

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part IV

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part V

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part VI

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part VII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part VIII

*ADMIN*

According to Robert George:

RE: Firmware update for TrueHD 5.1 [on the Toshiba HD DVD players]...

The info I have says public release on about the 22nd of August. That would be early next week.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Kris Deering...

Though it wasn't listed Troy will have a TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack. Not sure about the other ones though. But I am about as sure as I can be on Troy, since I've already had the chance to preview the disc.

Great news on the firmware.

I'll be getting LW2 for sure, and my wife liked Troy. Hey, any excuse to get more HD DVDs...

Oh, btw, got Aeon Flux last night...because one of my wife's employees bought it even though they don't have an HD DVD player because "the case looked pretty"!!! Haha. So, for free, I can stand watching this one again. Pays to be an early adoptor sometimes.

HDMI connection is a go!

The repair guy just finished up replacing the HDMI connection box on the back of the TV (It literally is just a little box with an HDMI connection and 2 audio ports). I fired up the player, put in Cinderella Man, and voila! Digital Connection movie goodness.

Woo hoo!

A

You know it’s fascinating going back to the very first thread

When I went back to find proof how i was once a BR backer :-) i read all the back threads and our opinions did change a lot, and we all got to know a lot more about it

Joey was virtually nowhere to be found.

Yep at the time I was not looking to getting into a new format as it was a long time away, but like everything else I changed my mind

Josh at DVD Talk reviews the Blu Ray release of Silent Hill:

Here we have yet another wildly inconsistent HD transfer from Sony. The movie has terrific photography and production design that should make nice High Definition eye candy, but what we get on disc alternates between periods of mediocre, awful, great, mediocre, great, and awful again. There are a few selected scenes that have excellent sharpness, detail, and depth, but in more scenes than not the picture looks very flat and lacking. Since this is a Sony disc, it should go without saying that a minor presence of edge enhancement is par for the course

There's also a lot of high frequency noise in fine object detail such as facial features during medium and wide shots. Many parts of the movie look fine, but in the busiest scenes the compression totally breaks down. For example, shots outside during the ashen snowfall just have way too much going on in the frame and are overwhelmed with ugly compression noise.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23302

Turns out all the DVDs extras got pulled from the Blu Ray release too (hour long documentary and more). The disc has the movie all to itself. This really is becoming an utter farce of a format thanks to Columbia. It’s baffling that the studio of one of Blu Ray’s highest ranking backers is so inept at ensuring all their releases offer the best incentives in trying to persuade people why they should upgrade to an HD format in the first place.

2 questions for the owners:

- Who's watching their HD-DVD / BR stuff on 720p TV's? I'd imagine it's the best picture you've seen on your sets, am I right?

- As far as available / reviewed content, what's the best example of DD+ / TrueHD as an improvement over "regular" DD? Any A/B tests?

I'll be getting an HD-DVD player soon (probably looking at Labor-Day time sales), and I'll be connecting it to my Denon AVR-4306 receiver via HDMI and 5CH Audio inputs, and sending the picture to my Sammy 61" DLP (HLN) via HDMI > DVI. The only thing I've heard is that the scaler in the Tosh A1 sux, so make sure it's outputting 1080i. My AVR-4306 will convert all inputs to either 1080i or 720p. I like everything to be in 720 when it gets to my display.

Somewhere, somehow, someday, I'll own a 1080p FP unit and an 8-12 foot screen. But for now, I'll have to "settle" for 61 inches of 720p.

- Who's watching their HD-DVD / BR stuff on 720p TV's? I'd imagine it's the best picture you've seen on your sets, am I right?
I'm not too far off -- I'm using a 768p plasma -- and yes, I'd say without question that HD DVD offers the best image quality of any source I've seen to date. Admittedly, my HD cable provider is kinda lousy, though.

- As far as available / reviewed content, what's the best example of DD+ / TrueHD as an improvement over "regular" DD? Any A/B tests?
I haven't done a lot of A/B testing, but I did compare Pitch Black on both formats and thought the difference was enormous.

I am watching on a 720/768p Sony Wega, and HD-DVD is the best looking movie format I've seen on it. I have watched HBO-HD, StarzHD, InHD1 & 2, and none of those really compare; although that may be a limitation of bandwidth/bitrate of the broadcasts. I think bright/colorful images of sports during the day (golf, college football, etc) are the best I've seen on my TV, but I think my vision is biased towards bright, colorful images, so that's just me.

As far as your connection, why not try using the HDMI output of the A1 for your audio as well? It carries the same audio information as the 5.1 analog outs would, although some people at AVS think 1 or the other sounds better. At least it's something you could try, and it may save you some cash on cables.

A

As far as your connection, why not try using the HDMI output of the A1 for your audio as well? It carries the same audio information as the 5.1 analog outs would, although some people at AVS think 1 or the other sounds better. At least it's something you could try, and it may save you some cash on cables.

A

I may be mistaken, but I thought that DD+ and DD TRUE HD could only be passed via HDMI with v1.3. Sadly, I didn't anticipate this when I spent the $2K on my 4306 last November, which only has HDMI 1.2.

If not, then :w00t .

Lucky for me, I already have the cables, because I've been using them since I got my first DVD-A capable player. Sadly, that format kinda died on the vine...but that's a totally different type of discussion altogether.

"THATS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT TYPE OF DISCUSSION".

(sorry, can't pass up an Airplane! reference)

Oh, and I the heck away from AVS forum. About 90 percent of what I read are pissing contests. When necessary, I read HTF, but so far, I've tried to contain my HD ambitions until I've raised the money for the HD-DVD player.

but I thought that DD+ and DD TRUE HD could only be passed via HDMI with v1.3. Sadly, I didn't anticipate this when I spent the $2K on my 4306 last November, which only has HDMI 1.2.

2 things.

1. DD+ can be passed via analog outs(not digital) but it also can be passed via HDMI. I don't know about Dolby True HD for sure.

Also the 4306 has HDMI V1.1(not 1.2). The first 1.2 recievers are just now showing up for this years crop coming out at Cedia. The Denon website confirms that :http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2243.asp

The only thing that 1.2 added was support for SACD via HDMI. You aren't missing much.

2 things.

1. DD+ can be passed via analog outs(not digital) but it also can be passed via HDMI. I don't know about Dolby True HD for sure.

Also the 4306 has HDMI V1.1(not 1.2). The first 1.2 recievers are just now showing up for this years crop coming out at Cedia. The Denon website confirms that :http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2243.asp

The only thing that 1.2 added was support for SACD via HDMI. You aren't missing much.

Ah, yes - now it brings back a fuzzy memory. I do remember that HDMI 1.2 news - and that it had no effect on me, as I don't own any SACD's. The only important thing is, it's not 1.3, and that means something. Not sure exactly what yet.

Helping to answer my own question:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/08/hdmi_part_5_-_a.php

In September 2005, Dolby announced that A/V receivers capable of processing PCM over their HDMI 1.1 inputs should also be able to have sufficient bandwidth to accept the HD video and the PCM multi-channel audio decoded by the Hi-def DVD player.

Any HDMI suited A/V receiver should be capable to input the PCM and reproduce the higher bandwidth of the soundtracks. Initially, it was believed that those HDMI 1.1 suited A/V receivers would have to use analog cables from the multi-channel audio connectors (as with DVD-Audio), and wait until specification version 1.3 of HDMI be completed (and eventually change to a 1.3 compliant A/V receiver).

According to Dolby, there should be no need to replace a receiver suited with HDMI 1.1 to get the benefit of the higher-bit audio formats. However, when using the latest HDMI version 1.3 from player to receiver, the decoding would not have to happen in the player, the connection would stream the native mandatory and optional audio formats to the HDMI 1.3 suited A/V receiver, which would perform the decoding job.

Looks like good news, and it sounds like the A1 will be able to decode TRUEHD with the 2.0 firmware update.

I'm getting more anxious.

DD+ can be passed via analog outs(not digital) but it also can be passed via HDMI. I don't know about Dolby True HD for sure.

Same way for TrueHD. Since the HD DVD players do internal decoding they can distribute the decoded unpacked PCM signal over analogue or HDMI.

The only important thing is, it's not 1.3, and that means something. Not sure exactly what yet.

It should ultimately mean less to many than they currently fear it might. You’re in a better position with HD DVD since the players can decode the new DD+ and TrueHD audio codecs internally meaning there’s no reason for them to pass a bitstream signal which is what HDMI 1.3 allows, in fact as you've just discovered yourself Dolby even recommends player decoding to ensure backwards compatibility for as many people as possible (though what effect it may have on jitter remains to be seen).

HDMI would be the best bet for hooking up for audio though, just to keep it all digital.

Well my Dvd player died

I had nothing to do with it

Watched a few things tonight

HDNet Get Out Collection 1- I have to say the quality is fantastic. One of the episodes I actually saw last week, but it looks better then it did on Cable. Runs about 1 hr 10 minutes and is in MPEG 2. I guess if the runtime is low MPEG2 isnt that bad

Enter the Dragon- I have not seen this movie in a long time. Forgot just how much Bruce Lee kicked ass in this movie. Also for a low budget movie, made so long ago, it looks damn good.