LCVG

Sony goes PINK! (and PS2 price drop in Europe)

Romier S

New announcement from Sony Europe shows off a new Limited Edition Playstation 2 in PINK! That's right, pink. The console comes with two pink analog Dual Shock 2's and will come bundles with SingStar Pop. This new console is in collaboration with pop star Pink and will span the full realm of Playstation products including the PSP. The new Playstation 2 bundle will apparently retail for €159,99.

Here's the PS2 press release:

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4250&NewsAreaID=2

..and the one for the PSP:

PSP GOES P!NK - In a Unique Collaboration with the Artist P!nk

London, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced the expansion of the PSP™ (PlayStation?Portable) line-up in Europe with the introduction of a new colour ‘Pink’, in a unique collaboration with the Grammy Award winning and mutli Platinum superstar P!nk.

A limited edition P!nk PSP Value Pack will be available from 27th October 2006 and will include a Pink PSP, with all the necessary accessories – White Headphones with Remote Control, Pouch, Wrist Strap and a 32MB Memory Stick Duo™.

‘The P!nk PSP launch is much more than just launching a new colour. It is about a confident and powerful attitude for young women. The association with P!nk, a worldwide icon and musical chameleon, will enable PSP to push new boundaries.‘ said Stephane Hareau, PSP Senior Brand Manager for SCEE.

“P!nk is a very credible, very hip, and very unique female superstar – one with an appeal that extends well beyond the known pop music universe. She hits the skaters, the gamers, and the rockers alike” said John Fleckenstein, SVP, International, at Zomba Label Group in New York. “The PSP brand commands a ‘cool-factor’ and edginess that makes this partnership a perfect fit. We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the PSP team and to bring P!nk’s music to the brand’s dynamic demographic.”

Reflecting the strong collaboration with P!nk, the Pack will include an exclusive P!nk UMD™ (Universal Media Disc) Video featuring P!nk’s latest and best music videos - Stupid Girls (currently nominated for an MTV Video Music Award), Who Knew and U + Ur Hand, footage of her latest intimate UK showcase, an exclusive interview with the artist preparing for her massive sold out European tour, and exclusive track ‘Crash and Burn’, not available on any P!nk album in Europe.

In addition, more content will be exclusively available to P!nk PSP consumers through downloads on yourpsp.com when registering their PSP. This will include an exclusive P!nk tour video diary across Europe and much more…

“This association is much more than a corporate deal. It is bringing together two great and unique entertainment brands that complement each other both in style and attitude’’. said Marcel Engh, VP Brand Partnerships at Sony BMG Europe in London. ‘’We put a strong focus on developing brand entertainment platforms around our artists’’.

‘’Our collaboration with P!nk will reflect the shared values between the artist, PlayStation and all the young women with freedom, confidence and attitude’’ said Stephane Hareau, PSP Senior Brand Manager for SCEE. ‘’The exclusive and exciting P!nk content made available in this Limited Edition will let young women discover the entertainment potential of PSP beyond gaming. PSP is not exclusively for men, there is a PSP for everyone, and whoever you are, PSP can fit into your life.’’

Since the European launch of the ‘Black’ PSP in September 2005 and the Ceramic White PSP in May 2006, PSP is now in the hands of more than 4.5 million consumers throughout Europe.

P!nk’s current album “I’m Not Dead” has sold over 1.8 million copies around the world and has topped the UK, European, and Australian charts since its release on April 3, 2006. The third single “U and Ur Hand” will be released in the UK/Europe in September.

Here's some shots of both the new Playstation 2 and the PSP:

[ATTACH]2048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2050[/ATTACH]

While purchasing a new cell phone a few weeks ago, I was making small talk with the Verizon salesman. I asked how the sales were going on the pink RAZR phones. He said not well, explaining that pink is a very feminine color, and the RAZR features are geared toward the techy, male consumer, and what he's witnessed is that the two don't mix. I'm guessing Sony is going to encounter the same problems.

While purchasing a new cell phone a few weeks ago, I was making small talk with the Verizon salesman. I asked how the sales were going on the pink RAZR phones. He said not well, explaining that pink is a very feminine color, and the RAZR features are geared toward the techy, male consumer, and what he's witnessed is that the two don't mix. I'm guessing Sony is going to encounter the same problems.

My wife bought a pink razr and loves it. The GPS works great. Since I dont own a cell phone I bought a blue skin for it in case I have to use it.:tu

I'm guessing Sony is going to encounter the same problems

Judging by thier press release, Sony is trying to appeal to the feminine market in general here. I don't see this doing much for the Playstation 2 (aside from the price of the bundle being very nice and the fact that it includes SingStar), but I can see it possibly helping the PSP to branch out. Long term I don't think it will do much, but if they can get a boost in sales it will accomplish what it sets out to do.

Also, aside from the stereotypical stigma associated with owning a pink console, I think the pink PSP actually looks pretty decent.

Well, it's pink. You're going to make that barbie association by default.;) I'd take a white PSP over any other in terms of looks to be quite honest. in fact, I hope Sony brings the white PSP to the states. It's just an attractive handheld in white. However, I can't say I hate the pink at all. Hell, they'll both help with the constant smudges and cleaning the black PSP requires. I hate fingerprints and smudges in general and the black PSP is like my worst enemy in that regard.:)

Also in the realm of news for those interested: Sony announced a price drop for the Playstation 2 in Europe!

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New Price for PlayStation 2

PlayStation 2 Price Reduced to €129, Memory Card to €19.99

Leipzig, 23 August 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it is to begin offering the hugely successful PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system in Europe at €129.99 (?94.99) with immediate effect. The price of Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2) will also fall to €19.99.

With almost 40 million PlayStation 2 systems already shipped throughout Europe, the popularity of PlayStation 2 continues to exceed all industry expectations.

Significant advances in manufacturing efficiency, together with economies of scale driven by global shipments of over 106 million units have enabled cost savings to be made, which are now being passed on directly to new PlayStation 2 customers.

The price reduction comes in time for consumers to benefit from the wealth of PlayStation 2 software scheduled for launch in the run up to Christmas. With over 2,200 titles already available for PlayStation 2, and over 150 targetted for launch in Europe prior to Christmas 2006, there has never been a better time to join the community of PlayStation users. Key family friendly titles from SCEE for the festive season include SingStar Legends, EyeToy; Kinetic Combat, Buzz! Junior: Jungle party and Buzz! The Sports Quiz.

With across the board support from the world’s leading software developers, a wealth of outstanding games launching in the run-up to Christmas, and unbeatable technology, PlayStation 2 now represents amazing value for money at its new price point.

Commenting on the new price David Reeves, President of SCEE said, “With this attractive new price point and a vast portfolio of over 2,200 software titles including social gaming blockbusters such as EyeToy, SingStar and Buzz!, we believe there has never been a better time to join the community of PlayStation 2 users.”

“At this new price point of €129, the market leading PlayStation 2 should remain the computer entertainment system of choice for an even wider and more diverse audience for many years to come.”

Why do professional PR people talk like this:

?The P!nk PSP launch is much more than just launching a new colour. It is about a confident and powerful attitude for young women. The association with P!nk, a worldwide icon and musical chameleon, will enable PSP to push new boundaries.?

Does anyone really say anything of value anymore? I think the Pink idea is great as the pink RAZR's have been very hot around here, but this exec's blabber is so alien to anyone that really cares. I'm not picking on Sony here, it's all execs from all industries, but I just had to rant for a minute..."will enable the PSP to push new boundaries...." Gimmie a break.

??Our collaboration with P!nk will reflect the shared values between the artist, PlayStation and all the young women with freedom, confidence and attitude??

I'm sure that before the deal was signed, Pink's values were discussed in intimate detail and perfectly coincide with the Playstation's values. She's all about freedom, confidence, and attitude...and thousands and thousands of dollars. :td

Why do professional PR people talk like this:

Does anyone really say anything of value anymore? I think the Pink idea is great as the pink RAZR's have been very hot around here, but this exec's blabber is so alien to anyone that really cares. I'm not picking on Sony here, it's all execs from all industries, but I just had to rant for a minute..."will enable the PSP to push new boundaries...." Gimmie a break.

I'm sure that before the deal was signed, Pink's values were discussed in intimate detail and perfectly coincide with the Playstation's values. She's all about freedom, confidence, and attitude...and thousands and thousands of dollars. :td

To be fair, those press releases aren't really meant for you. They're meant for the press who are looking for stories, sifting through hundreds of other press releases, and looking for stupid things to paraphrase. The more loot you put in a press release, the more editors will nab and make your product sound good.

Pink Razr's are EVERYWHERE in NYC. The pink bluetooth headsets are huge, too.

Well, so much for me trying to extrapolate one salesman's opinion in Bethesda Maryland into poor sales forecasts of pink electronics for the rest of the world. Funny, what started the conversation with Verizon guy was that I was in process of buying the pink bluetooth headset for my wife. She didn't want a RAZR though as she heard some negative feedback from about that phone from her friends. But she did girly up her new phone with some "phone bling crystals".

Are these pink PSPs and PS2s only going to be available in Europe, or do we get a shot at them in the US? Also, is Pink the singer very popular in Europe?

Are these pink PSPs and PS2s only going to be available in Europe, or do we get a shot at them in the US?

Only Europe thus far Sparkz. No idea on the popularity of Pink in Europe. She's decently popular in the US, but not to the extent that she was a few years ago in terms of radio play etc.

Well I've had the old style ps2 since whatever year GTAIII game out in its life and have a healthy enough library for the console - it's just that finally getting a modified one opens up a world of titles that are not available in the UK, as well as ones I have avoided buying here (like God of War) because they lack a 60hz option. Replacing my bulky PAL machine with a region free slim line I think is the best gaming decision I can make right now as I can't afford the new consoles this year, and there's no better time to raid cheap back catalogues.

I should never have got a PAL PS2 in the first place. For some reason I failed to learn a lesson after getting my original Playstation modified so I could import Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7 upon their American releases. It's just the way Sony treat Europe. Nintendo is awful, and I've not owned a PAL Nintendo console (save handheld) since the SNES. The Xbox 360 is the only console I'd even consider buying in PAL today simply because they treat Europe well and there's rarely absurd delays between titles being released overseas and here. It's only the software prices that still get me down regarding the PAL 360. Still, I can’t afford a 360 which is the chief reason for replacing my PAL PS2 as I say… plus Iain gave me a Sega Saturn so I intend to raid eBay for more games for that later in the year. I've sitll got some Cube games to buy up that I've missed as well, and a few Xbox titles.

My modded PSTwo arrived as expected. Rejoice! You get a Matrix Infinity logo when first powering up before the Playstation 2 splash screen. Games from any territory boot automatically and I spent some time rummaging around in the attic trying to find my collection of PS1 PAL, US and Japanese titles. Frustratingly, I was unable to uncover the main box of stuff I stored up there. It’s no doubt buried beneath a stash of boxes that need clearing out so I’m sure I’ll find it later in the year. Still, I did find a few games in the box with all my 3D0 games in so was able to try US copies of Tekken 2 and Dark Forces out which run perfectly. Curiously PS1 games boot without the Playstation splash screen. Don’t know why. You get a few moments of black then it just launches into a game’s intro/menu.

I’ll tell you what I DID find that amongst the games I found that delighted me, and that was my PAL copy of Jumping Flash 2.

The baby PS2 is very cute I have to say, and pleasingly quiet. Just a shame it has no on/off switch as I refuse to leave things in standby so will find myself unplugging the console every time it is not in use.

Now I need to find a buyer for my old console. I found its box which I didn't think I had anymore.