LCVG

You ever just up and quit your job with no backup plan?

Bruce B

I did that 2 1/2 weeks ago. After 12+ years in the ski industry as the Accounting manager I was bored and took a job with a telecommunications business(actually 2 separate businesses I was doing the books for). I realized a few months into it I made a HUGE mistake. They were getting calls from vendors for past due payment and their service vehicle almost got repossessed. As a member of a small community I was embarrassed to field these calls with the "checks in the mail bullshit". One day I was sitting at my desk and said " ya know what, fuck this shit". Called my wife and she knew I was unhappy and she said "go for it". I typed up my resignation letter, and my boss was so pissed he told me to leave right then. I said "God, thank you".

So with no plan, no unemployment I decided to roll the dice of life. A random headhunter called me and asked me if I would be interested in the Controller job with an extremely successful investment company. I said sure.

Just got off the phone and landed the job, making $5,000 more a year than I was making.

Heres the link for the business. I will be replacing the James Vooys dude listed.

http://www.dionmoneymanagement.com/qualifiedTeam.htm

I did something similiar a couple of years ago. I left my job as a Software Developer to go to another company. It was a more senior position and I figured it would be some good opportunity to have some new experiences.

A couple of days into it, I noticed that it was a big mistake. The new company's software was so badly designed and implemented it was scary. Then, a couple of days later I found out that I was going to be put on a different project and wouldn't even be doing what I was hired for. So I went into my office, searched google for "Resignation Letter Template" and wrote up a quick, short letter. Obviously, my manager was very surprised and visibilly upset. He first tried to change my mind but then just asked me to leave right then. So I went back into my office and grabbed my pack of gum and went home. It felt really good.

I actually ended up going back to my old company because my boss called me and said I still have a job there if I want.

When I was young and stupid I quit my job w/o a backup plan. Never have thought about it since. It's not too bright IMHO. If you don't get lucky, you are stuck with hardly any options and life could go downhill fast.

With responsibilities like a family(wife or kids or both), there is NO chance I'd do it or recommend anyone do it. Your family comes first so suck it up.

Sorry Bruce, you got lucky. That's all. 9 times out of 10, you would be hurting for cash and in trouble unless your SO has a job paying enough to let you both pay your debts.

Never quit a job without a backup plan, but I've been fired from one and it was the absolute best moment of my career (simply because I absolutely HATED working there and it lead to my current job which I absolutely love)

"Take this job and shove it"?

Which is exactly what I said during my "exit" from the aformentioned job, though in a much more colorful manner and with a whole lot more of a pissed off demeanor.:D

Sorry Bruce, you got lucky. That's all. 9 times out of 10, you would be hurting for cash and in trouble unless your SO has a job paying enough to let you both pay your debts.

Luckily I'm in a profession(Accounting) that is quite high in demand. I have no car payment, no credit card payments, and a small mortgage.

My wife has a mediocre paying job. I had enough confidence in my ability that I knew I would land on my feet quickly. I agree it wasn't smart, but sometimes its just fun to roll the dice.

Did you actually get to snarl the immortal words "Take this job and shove it"?

No I didn't. He actually offered me more money to stay and I said " We don't have money to pay the vendors how are you going to pay me more"?. He started jabbering some more and thats when I said "No matter what you say right now, I am not changing my mind". Thats when he politely asked me to leave then. He did pay me for the two weeks that I offered to stay plus I got a check for 2 weeks vacation.

Life is too short guys. Roll the fucking dice!

I've been close, but never done it. I agree with Exile, it's usually not the best idea. From watching friends and co-workers do it (and suffer the consequences,) I've become a big believer in the adage "It's easier to find a job when you already have one."

I did come close in my current job. It was a career change and I performed well enough early on to get moved to our agency's largest and most important client. I was thrown into the middle of planning both a major event for 1,200 people with a big-name speaker, and a golf tournament, both to occur the same day at the industry's largest trade show. Had never planned any event before save a couple of small dinners. Found out the person I was replacing had been a slacker and was way behind in taking care of everything. I was so stressed my hair was falling out and I couldn't sleep at all for two months. I was damn close to writing that letter. Now, strangely enough, event planning is one of my favorite things.

Glad it worked out for you all the same.

I did back around '98, one of the best life decisions so far. I liked my job OK, but didn't enjoy the Silicon Valley. Our corporation didn't have offices any place I wanted to go (except England which they actually offered), so my future wife and I quit our jobs and moved to Denver. Actually, we stayed with my parents in Monterey for a few months, then moved out to Denver. Sat on our asses and enjoyed the pool and Dragonball Z on the TV for a few months while fishing resumes. Eventually it all worked out and we got new jobs (doing the same thing.) Great summer, good times.

Now we live in Denver, lovin' it! Since we've had kids though, I don't know if I would consider such a thing again. Medical insurance alone is enough to warrant staying employed these days, that stuff can bury you.

About 6 months back I was supposed to receive a bonus for my project finishing well under budget. 3 months past and I was getting the run around as to when the money was going to be coming. I went to my boss for the 3rd time to get an answer, and he attempted to blow me off yet again. I told him he had my cell phone number, and he should call me if he ever found my money.

After holding out for about 2 weeks I had a date when I'd receive the bonus along with about 15% pay increase for my troubles. :happy

I did it. It was a horible time but I would do it again for my own sanity.

I walked out after personal issues (divorce) got so bad I needed to focus on me for a while. My job was just getting in the way. It was a mistake because I had to cash in my substantial 401k savings in order to survive but it was worth it because I was able to bounce back as a person (which is probably a bit more important in the grand scheme of things).

I took a job making 50% less and made it work. Life isn't about money. I'm still not making as much as I was back then but I'm getting close and I'm better for it.

In my experience, Bruce was exactly the opposite. This is certainly not meant at Exile directly, but those who claim luck is the basis of success for other people don't see the hard work and preparation behind the scenes. Bruce, that's an awesome story and one that I wish more people would follow. I've liked all the jobs I left, so I can't really relate, but it was a ballsy move enabled by your hard work from previous years. I'm adamantly opposed to debt (though I have plenty of my own), and your story is really a testament to the peace of mind having your financial affairs in order can bring; probably couldn't have done with two car fleeces and maxed our credit cards.

I assume your 401(k) from previous jobs is large enough to roll into an IRA with your new firm... :)

I took a job making 50% less and made it work. Life isn't about money. I'm still not making as much as I was back then but I'm getting close and I'm better for it.

Agreed. I was making a good bit more money at my previous job but was an utterly miserable person in the process (which does my family no good might I add). Being fired from said job led me to where I am today and though I don't make as much cash, I'm a far happier and productive human being (both in my professional and personal life).

I assume your 401(k) from previous jobs is large enough to roll into an IRA with your new firm... :)

Absolutely.

I dont think it was luck either. What stuck out to them was them seeing me in one company for 12+ years. You would be amazed how important that is to a potential suitor. Now if I did the same thing but with a sporadic past I dont think I would have garnered the same results.

I have purposefully financially put myself in a place where I can take a chance and pull up stakes because of proper financial planning. I am by no means wealthy. Not even close, nor do I deprive myself of toys(tv's etc).

Another reason I took the chance was the industry I'm in. No matter where you go, people need an accountant. Now if i were a professional fireeater I probably would have been more hesitant.

I also have an extremely supportive and understanding wife who knew I wasn't happy with the situation and was 100% behind me.

Agreed. I was making a good bit more money at my previous job but was an utterly miserable person in the process (which does my family no good might I add). Being fired from said job led me to where I am today and though I don't make as much cash, I'm a far happier and productive human being (both in my professional and personal life).

100% agree. I was fully prepared to take a pay cut for the sake of happiness.

A job doesn't define who you are. When you leave a job you will be replaced and forgotten. My family is my #1 priority and if I'm bringing a nasty attitude home with me it ain't cool.

Life is too short guys. Roll the fucking dice!

Great, great advice. I've sat in some depressing, dead-end jobs wondering why I wasn't out looking for something better. It's scary as hell to leave a steady paycheck in the face of responsibilities, but I realized it's better to man up and find something fulfilling, even if the time between jobs can get on my nerves (and others.) I've talked to so many co-workers about this very thing, and many of them just feel too paralyzed to do anything. I always look to improve things from within the company, but if the upper management is part of the problem, well, that's when I know to cut bait and run.

I always look to improve things from within the company, but if the upper management is part of the problem, well, that's when I know to cut bait and run.

That is extremely frustrating. I ran into this where I was working because it was the epitomy of nepotism. The owner wanted out and planted her two children in executive seats. Both dumb as rocks(I'm sorry if I just insulted a rock). I always heard "well, its always been done this way". Aarggghhh!

I dont really wan't to encourage someone to do what I did and then have it blow up in their face. I just felt extremely confident in my skills.