LCVG

G.r.a.w

ChilliPeppers90

I'll try and be there tonight if y'all get enough people together although the 6pm PST time might be difficult to make.

I know most of you are on the east coast but if you are ever up around 10:00pm PST I'm usually playing some good 8 vs 8 matches with my fellow west coast peeps. Toss me a messege and I can get you in. You will need the DLC however. :)

Does the point where the expansion maps were released about match the time this game dropped off the regular rotation?

I was wondering if we can expect this to happen each time a company releases premium content for a game that enjoys steady play. Will games survive for long after something like a map pack is released for a fee? And by survive, I mean with groups of people who play together regularly, will they continue to do so after map packs that fracture the group get released? (We used to play the hell out of Wolfenstein on the Xbox, but we didn't play near as much AFTER the expansion maps got released, and they were free...)

Or was it just GRAW's time? I imagine companies wait until sales and/or competition "force" them to release expansions as a way to boost lagging sales and garner interest. This would probably be around the time other companies were releasing competing games. These competing games would naturally pull interest away from the older title, regardless of how well the map pack is done or what price is being charged.

In the past, all the times I've been into games with online friends, it's been the release of expansions that mark the end of regular group play. Or is this just post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

I was wondering if we can expect this to happen each time a company releases premium content for a game that enjoys steady play.

Call of Duty 2 has had two pay to play map packs and is still in regular rotation no? PGR3 has also had plenty of content downloads and we just played with a near full room last week. Chromehounds has gotten pay to play weapon downloads and it's still regularly played etc.

The problem with GRAW's content is that it splintered the online community so that people without the DLC can't join a room along with folks that do have the DLC. The person without the DLC would need to host the room if those two groups of people want to actually play together which brings up issues of whether said hosts connection can hold a steady group of players. That issue along with the $15 price tag for the content put a lot of people off the game and it's when you saw the game drop off the map around here.

It sucks but when you fracture the community the way GRAW did (and as you noted Rain), folks kind of lost interest. I know a good number of folks did buy the DLC here and are wanting to play it (as evidenced by this thread), but when Joey tried adding it to the weekly rotation it was a complete ghost town for three weeks solid after the DLC issues arose.

Call of Duty 2 has had two pay to play map packs and is still in regular rotation no?

Nice example. I was wondering about Call of Duty 2, myself, and wondered why it's been the exception. Though, I must admit, I haven't played much since the maps were released, but that's due to personal reasons more than anything. However, I did try to join a game with you guys a couple of Mondays ago but didn't have the map so I watched a movie instead, or something along those lines. Call of Duty 2 WAS taken off the rotation for a while, IIRC. Was this before or after the maps were released? Was it brought back AFTER the private room patch?

Still, COD2 is proving quite resiliant, regardless.

PGR3 has also had plenty of content downloads and we just played with a near full room last week. ...and Chromehounds...

Not so nice examples. That is, unless either of those games released tracks or maps. You'll have to correct me as I haven't checked either. And actually, the last time I fired up PGR3 was to download the Cadillac pack. Though, I'm sure this is a coincidence too, odd though it may be.

Anways, just a thought that interested me...

However, I did try to join a game with you guys a couple of Mondays ago but didn't have the map so I watched a movie instead, or something along those lines.

That's the nice thing about Call of Duty. You don't need the maps. You can still join the room and if we try to launch with a map you don't have, the game simply says no. That's how it should work.

Call of Duty 2 WAS taken off the rotation for a while, IIRC.

It was never put on.;) It was added AFTER the patch to fix the lobby system. It hasn't left the rotation since.

That is, unless either of those games released tracks or maps. You'll have to correct me as I haven't checked either.

Neither have released tracks or maps, but both have released game affecting downloads including cars, weapons, and game modes. Chromehounds downloadable weapons have the real possibility of unbalancing the game in the future as has been discussed in a few threads (thankfully the latest downloads haven't). The point of these examples is that they do not splinter off the community into sections like Ubisoft ended up doing with GRAW and that's why those games are still around today being played and GRAW is all but ignored anymore. I'm hoping Ubisoft doesn't pull the same shit with Rainbow Six as I'd really love for the game to be a return to form for the series both online and off!