LCVG

BWii - Battalion Wars 2

Starhawk

I predict many online LCVG games when this is released.

BWii - Battalion Wars 2

Tricked into believing that the Solar Empire is developing a devastating super-weapon, Commander Pierce and Colonel Windsor of the Anglo Isles launch a pre-emptive strike on the Coral Atolls. The world is once again at war.

Drive tanks, command ships, pilot planes and direct your troops into the heart of the action in the return of the popular tactical action game for Wii.

3 Online Multiplayer Modes

Assault: Instant Combat

Skirmish: Tactical depth

Co-op: Work with friends

3 Theatres of War

Combine land, sea and air combat

5 New Naval Units

Battleship, Frigate, Submarine, Dreadnought, Transport

6 Different Races, 5 Different Environments

With new vehicles for each side

Wii-Controller

Provides intuitive, all-action gameplay

Greater tactical depth

Capture facility buildings to re-spawn units (HQ, Barracks, Factories, Airfield, Docks)

Use Map Screen Commanding to order from afar

Bigger and Better

20+ single player missions AND 15+ mp missions

Increased replay value

90187808-M.jpg

90187499-M.jpg

90187565-M.jpg

90187598-M.jpg

90187609-M.jpg

A few more here: http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3153074&mt=0

Is there any word on when this is going to be released? I'm assuming it isn't a launch title, which is a damn shame. I'm really anxious to try this one out.

EDIT: I have to add that BWii has got to be one of the best titles for a game ever. :)

IGN was able to get a quick hand on time with BWii. Here's what they had to say about the controls:

You control your main character with the analog stick of the nunchuk unit and execute commands like attack and select with the buttons on the Wii remote and the nunchuk. If you move the nunchuk unit up a little bit your character will jump, and doing this while moving left or right will make your character jump to the side.

The Wii-mote is also used as pointer to look around. Doing so while moving your character was very natural and intuitive, and it was easy to move and look around at the same time without losing orientation. Using the pointer to look at other characters will also show whether they are friendly (blue) or hostile (red).

Sounds good to me. The Wii-mote should hopefully make the process of aiming and targeting a little easier. I wonder if the lock on mode will still be used to focus in on enemies though.

Never played the original...to be honest...never really paid attention to it. Is it a RTS?

Sort of. I like to think of it as a cross between Pikmin and Metroid Prime. The controls are very similar to the latter in that you use the right analog stick to move your character, the L button to strafe and lock on to targets, and the R button to stop and manually target enemies above and below you.

The game is like Pikmin in that you are commanding a group of soldiers in a battle. However, instead of playing the role of a commander overseeing the battlefield from far, you control the soldiers via one of the troops on the ground in much the same way you controlled Olimar and Louie in Pikmin. You can command troops to follow you or guard an area by hitting the X button on the GameCube controller. If you have group of soldiers following you, you can lock on to an enemy target and command them to attack that target by hitting Y.

The real strategy of the game comes from making good use of your soldiers' abilities. You have different squadrons for different purposes and each type of soldier has his weakness. For instance, tanks will quickly wipe out grunt infantries. However, bazooka infantries stands a better chance against them thanks to their greater firepower. However, the bazooka units are a bad choice against the grunts because their rockets travel too slowly, and it's easy for the grunts to get out of the way. It's sort of like Paper Rock Scissors in that way.

Definitely check it out though. It's a fun game, well worth the mere $30 I paid to get it new.

• 4 months later...

For those of you interested in a taste of what to expect with BWii, I noticed that the original Battalion Wars can be purchased a Game Stop or EB Games for a mere $15 brand new. It's a great deal on one of the better overlooked gems of the GameCube. I highly encourage anyone interested to pick it up.

• 4 months later...

The official release date for Battalion Wars II has apparently been released. Nintendo are now saying September 24th is the date. I'll let that sink in for a minute.....

Ok, we're back now.;)

"Nintendo’s official press release told us to expect Battalion Wars II in September. Nintendo Power takes it one step further and gives us a day.

September 24th."

That's awesome news! I know a lot of people on the forum are focusing their sights mostly The Big Three (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, and Smash Bros.) but this game should be very high on everyone's list of for upcoming Wii games. The original on GameCube was quite good (if not a bit short) and I'm expecting more of the same with this one.

And sales for the game will officially blow. Why in the fuck would you want to release a game within one week, let alone one day of Halo 3? It is not like this is a mini-game compilation for soccer moms. This is essentially a action/strategy game. I was going to get this, but now I will most likely wait until after the holidays. Way too many other games to play at that time.

-Dean-

I don't think it will be too much of an issue for those insane folks like us that do happen to buy more than one game at a time. The release date is rather terrible timing though and not the smartest decision by Nintendo but I'm not quite so sure the game is doomed to utter failure. We assume the overlap between Halo and Wii game buyers is there but I'm not quite so sure. The game may not come out of the gate with huge numbers but neither did its predecessor if memory recalls. In fact, I believe the original BW was a steady seller for Ninty over time and that may be just what this game will be as well.

I'm interested in giving it a go though.

• 4 months later...

I'm calling bullshot. It's not that I think the game will look bad when it finally does arrive, but the complete lack of aliasing in those screen shots makes me think they've been touched up a bit to look better.

I'm still looking forward to this, big time though, esepecially now that it looks like Smash Bros. may get delayed until next year.

I'm calling bullshot. It's not that I think the game will look bad when it finally does arrive, but the complete lack of aliasing in those screen shots makes me think they've been touched up a bit to look better.

It's a sad, sad day for Kuju if they need to touch up shots to look like these :-(

53751520071010_132020_7_big.jpg

53751520071010_132016_3_big.jpg