LCVG

LOTR Trilogy Limited Ed DVD's

jhfagan

Does anyone know anything about the re-release of the LOTR Trilogy on Aug 29th?

I read on lordoftherings.net that they are including the theatrical version on one side of the disc, and the extended on the other. The second disc in the boxset for each film is "NEW" making of, and behind the scenes documentaries.

I'd be down for the documentaries, but the versions of the film HAVE to be lacking in quality significantly due to the bitrate having to be lower to fit the films on one side of the disc???!!!

Not sure if I want to rebuy all the films JUST for the documentaries, if the quality of the films are going to suffer from trying to squeeze them on one side of a disc.

Does anyone have any hands on reports of the quality of these films in this version?

Sounds like another "milk it for all its worth" type of release and as hardcore as the LOTR fanbase is (right up there with trekkies and Starwars geeks) you can bet people will buy them. As for me I aint buying any of the LOTR films until they are out on HD-DVD. For that matter I aint buying any dvd movies assuming that I will be getting an HD-DVD in the next year or so.

The video on these releases is practically identical to the EE releases from every review that I've read. You have to remember that these are DVD-18's here so there is plenty of space available for these transfers (especially with the lack of commentaries etc.). The main reason to buy here is the new documentaries included in the set on the second disc. Each one weighs well over an hour from what I've read and are supposedly pretty good. The hardcore LOTR fan only need apply here. If the documentary content interests you, you don't need to worry about video quality with these releases.

EDIT: Do keep in mind that there are some reports of certain DVD players out there having issues playing DVD-18's (especially from Universal). I've personally never had a problem with a DVD-18 release in the past, but it's something to keep in mind and research if you are interested.

I have a bunch of DVD-18's and never had an issues.

That said, I wouldn't touch these releases with a 10 foot pole. I'm not a huge LOTR geek(although I own the EE's) and to be honest I also feel they are a milk it for what it's worth release. And they lack DTS. IMHO the EE's are the releases to own and can be found cheap if you look. I saw them at $14 a piece at a used shop.

I have a bunch of DVD-18's and never had an issues.

That said, I wouldn't touch these releases with a 10 foot pole. I'm not a huge LOTR geek(although I own the EE's) and to be honest I also feel they are a milk it for what it's worth release. And they lack DTS. IMHO the EE's are the releases to own and can be found cheap if you look. I saw them at $14 a piece at a used shop.

:tu

I'm a LOTR whore and all..but flippers? Ugh. And AFAIK they're using branching to squeeze both versions onto 1 DVD-18, not just putting a different version of the movie on each side, so I'm pretty sure you still have to flip the disc over in the middle of the movie.

I'm no DTS fanatic (in fact I find little difference between DD & DTS most of the time) but DTS-ES discrete IS superior to Dolby EX 6.1, and it sucks that they pulled it.

No thanks. Maybe I'll rent em to watch the documentary, but is there really any more documentary needed? The EEs already have plenty of hours of documentary.

Also keep in mind that Costa Botes, the director of all the documentary footage, has expressed his (further) unhappiness with New Line for their hacking up of his work in order for them to be presented on these discs. I say further unhappiness, as he and New Line have always been feuding over these documentaries due to them having power over them ever being seen by the public, effectively rending his work useless fort the past five years, and as such fans have only been able to see them in their entirety at underground festival and celebration screenings.

Botes, who was paid by New Line to make the films and would not get any royalties from DVD sales, said he was pleased the documentaries would soon be out. But he was unhappy he was not consulted about cuts.

"I had no opportunity to take part in this at all. They just shut me out completely. Once they figured out what they wanted to do, there was no opportunity to argue for any of the cuts and no opportunity to correct some really silly things that were done. It would have been nice to have been consulted because I could have actually finessed those things."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3719624a1860,00.html

Also keep in mind that Costa Botes, the director of all the documentary footage, has expressed his (further) unhappiness with New Line for their hacking up of his work in order for them to be presented on these discs. I say further unhappiness, as he and New Line have always been feuding over these documentaries due to them having power over them ever being seen by the public, effectively rending his work useless fort the past five years, and as such fans have only been able to see them in their entirety at underground festival and celebration screenings.

Is there any way of securing the footage of those screenings? :-)

Does Greedo shoot first in these versions?

No, Greedo has now been replaced by a digital Jabba the Hut, who lives in Mordor where the shadows dwell. Fucking Lucas!

---

I'm afraid I'll be waiting for the inevitable HD-DVD versions, it's one of the milestones that'll push into actually buying a player no doubt.