LCVG

Pluto no longer a planet?

Sparkz

Do you agree with Pluto being demoted to a dwarf planet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Pluto being demoted to a dwarf planet?

Looks like the International Astronomical Union has stripped Pluto of the planetary status it has held since its discovery in 1930.

What are your thoughts? What will all the schoolchildren use a device to remember all of the planets names? My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos? No more Nine Pickles.

After reading through all of the things that I saw over the past few weeks, it just made sense to demote it. If they would have kept it as a planet they would have had to have added 3 others since they are similar in size to Pluto.

My daughter will still learn about it though, I'm sure. After all, it's still on her Baby Einstein DVD about the Solar System.

Glen

It's great news. I think I have my first "Well, when I was a kid..." story.

I'll bet you have more...when I was a kid...

There was no internet

you had to walk across the room to change the channel

No one had cell phones

you had to rewind tapes or cassetes if you wanted to listen to music or watch movies

I'll bet you have more...when I was a kid...

There was no internet...

No one had cell phones...

I miss the days of no cellphones, but I couldn't live without internet. Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

BTW Pluto was never a very good planet to begin with, and unless we're gonna keep chucking extra planets onto the solar system, this change was needed.

It's interesting as hell to me when things like this happen. I mean, what did people think when they were told by scientists that Earth was not flat? Pluto isn't a life-perspective altering moment like that, but it's pretty big in astronomy and in the fact that all the educational material mentioning Pluto will need to be changed.

I don't have a problem with the decision in theory, but let's be practical, people. The least these scientists could have done was come up with a new acrostic now that "Pizzas" is gone. Any suggestions to replace "My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas?" I tried, but got nothin' so far.