LCVG

Texas Hold'em Discussion Thread

Dave C

I really like the pocket 10 of clubs picture.

Seriously... you can't have any sort of actual um... "gaming tables" if there is more than one of each card in the deck.

Glen

The coding is obviously f'd up. I would have thought that they created one graphic for each card but it appears that they may be assembling the face values/graphics for each card on the fly as their algorithm chooses and deals the cards. What a joke and a huge embarrassment for both the developer and Microsoft. :lol

What's the problem with procedurally generating the cards, WetWork? It saves download size. Obviously there's a bug that they'll have to fix, but I don't see why them generating the cards is such an issue.

No problem I guess, as long as their code WORKS. :lol

Uh oh, Poker is here and now that I finally figured out how to play Texas Hold 'Em I may never be seen again :D. I just spent about forty minutes playing and it was damn fun.

Unwashed masses are hit or miss, but you can generally tell what you're getting. If my buy-in rolls up on the quick match at $5000, you can generally tell I'm going to be backing the hell away pretty quickly to a new table. The 5k one I played was filled with exactly the sort of idiocy you'd expect; people going all in right after getting dealt in once with just their hand, etc etc. People lurking around the $300 tables are more interested in actually playing the game, I had a great dozen hands at a $300 buy-in table that ended with me smoking a nice Queen-high flush on an All-In to get my achievement plus a cool 1300 and change ;).

The 5k one I played was filled with exactly the sort of idiocy you'd expect; people going all in right after getting dealt in once with just their hand, etc etc.

Exactly the opposite problem I had last night before linking up with the LCVG crew. I was in small buy-in tables and almost every hand was all-in just to see the flop. Aggravating. The one 5K buyin table I played at was actually a great game, there was some good poker happening there. Lucky I guess. :shrug

This game may get tiring playing with random folks that obviously got missed by the evolution bus. Playing with the LCVG crew was tons of fun though, as to be expected.

In our tournament game last night we managed to find 2 or 3 bugs right off the bat.

Ant got booted from the game, and when he did... he got a message stating that he won the tournament. Not a "bad" bug, per se, but still a touch odd.

Then at the end of the tournament it was Parrish and myself. He only had $60 bucks or something and went all in, and lost the hand. Wouldn't you know it... after he lost the hand... the game gave him $18 dollars back. So, he got to play another hand after he had lost his All-In.

It's a decent game of poker but the lack of a lobby really hurts the game. There is no really good way to organize a game, that I can see at this point.

All in all, fun was had last night, but there are a few things that could be improved.

Glen

So was I the only one that hopped into Texas Hold 'Em for fun last night and the CPU kicked the living hell out of me? I figured I'd play some SP and get a feel for the game (haven't played in a long time), but the CPU goes all in like a madman. Not just that, but they constantly recash their chips or new players come in. What ever happened to once you're out, you're out and the rest play? Is that tournament play maybe?

Anyway, by the time I was getting comfy playing it I was out like 1800 of my 2000 chips, ouch! Didn't want to go online with that last 200 and be cleaned out, so played some limit games. I was able to build back up to around 500 chips. What happens if you run out of chips, do they make you buy more or something?

Anyway, it was fun but the CPU can be frustrating. An NPC pulling 2 sets of 2 aces out of the hole twice in a row to beat my pair of kings or queens was a real treat. Hehe...

So was I the only one that hopped into Texas Hold 'Em for fun last night and the CPU kicked the living hell out of me? I figured I'd play some SP and get a feel for the game (haven't played in a long time), but the CPU goes all in like a madman. Not just that, but they constantly recash their chips or new players come in. What ever happened to once you're out, you're out and the rest play? Is that tournament play maybe?

Anyway, by the time I was getting comfy playing it I was out like 1800 of my 2000 chips, ouch! Didn't want to go online with that last 200 and be cleaned out, so played some limit games. I was able to build back up to around 500 chips. What happens if you run out of chips, do they make you buy more or something?

Anyway, it was fun but the CPU can be frustrating. An NPC pulling 2 sets of 2 aces out of the hole twice in a row to beat my pair of kings or queens was a real treat. Hehe...

Single player and online bankrolls are seperate. You start with like 20 grand online. In SP, tournmanets are where it is last man standing. The other mode is just a way to build your bankrool.

-Dean-

Same thing happened to me. I was late getting home and I just booted up the single player and promptly handed over most of my money. I had to go to a lower limit table and build up my roll.

The single player, non-tournament gameplay will allow you to keep bringing in more money.

Tournaments are more often than not, the way to go.

I got through the first scenario game last night. Man that took a while though.

I do have to say that winning the LCVG tournament that I played last night with a pair of 2's was pretty entertaining.

Glen

The CPU was giving me a hard time last night also, at one point I was down 1200. Then I hit 2nd in a single player tourney and had a decent run this morning, and am now down only 110.

Sorry I missed out on the invite last night, I dropped my controller and it powered off. By the time I had that back on, I couldn't join in. Hopefully we can get some more tournaments going soon.

A

One thing I found about the CPU is that if you have a decent stack, you can leverage that very well against them. They seem to fold more often than not when you bid more than half their stack.

It's very aggressive play, to be sure, but it allows you to profit off of their aggressive play.

Glen

Your online bankroll can go negative (from what I hear). Don't know if it matters.

I've heard there's some glitch where if you work your standby button just right you can trick your game into thinking you win every hand, hehe. Don't think it really matters, though. I've enjoyed playing with friends and so far every table with random people has been decent, too. I'm going to waste a lot of time with this game :)

Other CPU observations: I'd say 80% of the time I was big blind, someone would raise before the flop, but this occured far less when I wasn't BB. If you try to check raise once in a while, or raise over the top of someone else (usually in 1 on 1 play no limit), they tend to fold a lot also.

A