LCVG

Need Recommendations-Your Receiver and Speaker Settup- Thoughts, comments ...

JoeyN

Ok in the next few months I want to get a new sound system for my HT settup. This is why I need some help. At the moment im using a old sony sound system which has worked fine for years, so i have been holding off. Im not really up to date on all the latest and greatest in audio. However with the introduction of True HD output on HDDVD's its almost time to take the plunge. I would like to know what equipment you guys are using. Your opinions, etc.. I do not want to spend a total fortune. Say a budget of around $2000 and less if possible, but Ive never been shy on spending some cash so all info is welcome. I do not need a system to blow down house down. Here is what i have been looking at.

Reciever wise ive been looking at some Onyko's, Pioneer's and Panasonic's. What else is very good out there right now.

Speaker wise a few people have recommended Klipsh Mains and Surrounds. Jordan mentioned a Athena center channel, which a few on AVS also have talked about. . Also need a Sub recommendation. I know SVS's are the best, but what else is good out there.

Any help is appreciated guys. Post away!!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might consider spending more on the speakers now, and saving for a good sub later. Speakers will last you forever and I'd always recommend spending a lot there. Hell, maybe even spend it all on the 2 main speakers...I'm not a fan of cheap speakers!

You might want to look at Denon too, they make some nice receivers. (I think the 2807 is in that price range, you might even be able to find a 3806? at that street price now)

Looking around $200 is not much for a decent sub.

I guess it depends on whether or not you live in an apartment with people below you.;) I have an SVS 20-39 pc plus and if there were someone below me there would be a war.

By the way Joey One Call has a great deal on the Onkyo TX-SR803B for $664.00. It has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=29489

I guess it depends on whether or not you live in an apartment with people below you.

Nope its a private house. My HT is in our basement so no one beneath to annoy

Hell, maybe even spend it all on the 2 main speakers

I'm not going without 5.1, as That would defeat the entire reason im buying the new system. I want to try and get everything at once. If i have to get a cheaper sub and buy a better one down the road that wouldnt be a problem.

By the way Joey One Call has a great deal on the Onkyo TX-SR803B for $664.00. It has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output.

I'll keep an eye on it. Like i said ill probably start buying in a few months (probably Nov/Dec) once my LCD i bought is paid off.

Any word on how those new SVS speakers are? I'm speaking of the new 5.1 and 7.1 systems they offer built around the PB-10 NSD subwoofer whcih can be found here: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm Curious as to how their speakers compare with others in their price range.

I've got the PB-10 sub paired with a Yamaha RXV-1500 and Klipsch reference series speakers and couldn't be happier with the performance of the system. As for my recommendions I wouldn't hesitate on recommending the SVS sub and the Klipsch speakers. I'll never get a different brand sub as long as SVS stays in business. That is how impressed I've been with my "little" PB-10. As for the Klipsch speakers I listened to a bunch of different brands in a dedicated (sealed off from the rest of the store) sound room at a local HT store and the Klipsch speakers were by far my preference. I never knew what people meant when they said "I love them Klipsch horns" but now I do. :) As for the reciever I love my yamaha just fine but it doesn't have HDMI and I know that is something you are looking for. Good luck finding what you want.

I dont need HDMI but it would be nice to have. Which Klipsch reference series do you guys have? Im leaning towards those now. So many have recommended them today. Many different models on their site. I was taking a look at the PB-10 this morning as well

I'm a fan of Paradigm myself. Then again, I've only listened to decent speakers a few times at a quasi-local HT store. But I was really impressed with the sound of the Paradigm bookshelf speakers.

I'd agree that you should spend most of your money now on a good set of matched speakers and get the SVS later. I've heard Dayton tossed around for a tolerable ~$100ish subwoofer:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=300-633&AID=1482627&PID=361116&SID=79434-0-0-0-460qyu

They mark it down from $125 to $100 once in a while, keep an eye out.

I'd normally say that spending most of your money on good speakers and a cheaper receiver (since most double-blind tests show there's very little difference between receivers sound-wise) would be smartest. Speakers make the biggest difference by far. You're always best dumping money into speakers.

Unfortunately if you're looking for features (HDMI switching, new Dolby formats, etc) then you'll end up spending a decent hunk of change. I was in the same boat when I built my system. I knew it was wrong for me to spend $500 on a receiver and $250 on speakers, but I needed s-video/composite conversion, DTS-ES discrete, HD component switching, lots of video inputs, etc).

My first set was from Cambridge Soundworks, and in fact I still use those speakers/sub on my PC. I have recommended CSW to two different friends and both of them were very happy with them. For the money you are looking to spend, I would definitely throw them in the mix. You can check out their offerings at http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com

Speakers, speakers, speakers.

I'd spend the entire $2k on speakers. Get a crap receiver ($300) for now and upgrade it down the road.

I'd spend $2,000 on the receiver, and $300 on speakers. :D

Just kidding. Audio is so subjective I think you're going to get a plethora of opinions.

For me, I have no problem buying a receiver off the internet, after reading reviews and never demoing it. As far as speakers, you MUST demo.

A new thought. Scouring the net this morning, A lot of people seem to like the Ascend's when in a $2000 budget. Lots of people have been recommending them, have not read one bad thing about them yet.

The settup mostly all of them have said works best is

CMT340 SE Fronts

CMT340 SEC Center

CBM 170 SE Surrounds

Comes to $1180 leaving $820 left over. Throw in a SVS PB-10. Leaving $399 reciever wise, but like i said I can spend a extra $100 to get a Pioneer, Onkyo or The Panasonic SA-XR57 so many people are liking these days.

Anyone ever use the Ascends or see them in action?

I am a really big fan of Pioneer recievers. I never was truely satisfied with my HT until I added a Pioneer Elite 56TXi a few years ago. I would encourage you to get a model that has the automatic room EQ. This really made a big difference in the quality of sound in my HT.

As for speakers, I have B&W 600 Series 3's for my front and JBL's for my two rear speakers. I am perfectly happy with this setup. However my B&Ws didn't sound that great until I paired them with the powerful Pioneer. I think you will be much happier if you split your budget between the receiver and speakers as both are vital to getting good quality sound.

Good luck in your search!

Joey,

The setup you listed looks good. My setup is considerably more than $2k so I can't really say much there.

Receiver wise I'd be careful some brands like Onkyo and Yamaha overrate their specs on their receivers so they can't deliver full rated power output. For instance my buddies Onkyo is rated at 75x7 and was reviewed in S&V to only produce 35x5. It was much worse when trying to push 7 speakers.

If you are only going 5.1 then the Denon line and the latest Pioneers will let you bridge the 4 of the 7 channels to biamp your mains giving them more power and they will sound much better leaving a channel dedicated to your center and 2 rears. This is nice if you aren't going 7.1.

My speakers are Phase Technology. 100% buit in America and I do mean 100%. The Velocity series is the models I bought. You could probably get a 5.1 setup for about $1200. The PB10 is the sub to get for the money but you could also save up a bit more and get on the PB12NSD deal going on for $600. That would be a significant stepup and prevent upgraditis from hitting so soon. http://www.phasetech.com

Also the Klipsch Synergys are their Mexican made crap Klipschs. IMHO they aren't Klipsch speakers but rather speakers with Klipsch badges on them. The Reference are SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I agree with the suggestions to spend as much as possible on quality speakers, and then upgrade the rest as you can.

Objectively speaking, speakers will always been the souce of the most variation (distortion) in the signal path...and so they represent the greatest opportunity to reduce that variation.

Beyond that, I haven't really kept up with speakers, outside of studio monitors for music production. But clearly a lot of others here have...so I'm reading along with you to learn more.

latest Pioneers will let you bridge the 4 of the 7 channels to biamp your mains giving them more power and they will sound much better leaving a channel dedicated to your center and 2 rears. This is nice if you aren't going 7.1.

Do you know exactly which ones do this? My settup will be 5.1 for a long time. however the newer Pioneers are 7.1 so i can always add on if i need to