LCVG

Burnout Paradise Discussion (360/PS3/PC)

GUILDFORD, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 29, 2006--Buckle up and prepare to unleash automotive anarchy in the ultimate burner's paradise. Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced that Burnout 5 is in development for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 video game system from Microsoft®.

Burnout 5 gives players license to wreak havoc in Paradise City, the ultimate seamless racing battleground, with a massive infrastructure of traffic-heavy roads to abuse. Gone is the need to jump in and out of menus and aimlessly search for fun like many open world games; in Burnout 5, every inch of the world is built to deliver heart-stopping Burnout-style gameplay. Every intersection is a potential crash junction and every alleyway is an opportunity to rack up moving violations.

Of course, rules are made to be broken, and when gamers enter Paradise City, they're assigned a Drivers License that quickly begins to amass a record of player's most aggressive, reckless and destructive exploits behind the wheel. But it's not the law that's eyeing player's progress ... when gamers push things too hard they'll be squaring off against the city's most infamous burners, and these legends aren't interested in who crosses the finish line first.

"Burnout 5 is a complete reinvention of the series, built from the ground up for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360," said Alex Ward, director of game design at Criterion Games. "To create truly next-generation gameplay, we needed to create a truly next-generation game, from top to bottom."

Burnout 5 also delivers the next level of speed and destruction, with brand new next-generation technology allowing gamers to literally rip their cars in half, in the most explosive pile-ups in the series' history.

Burnout 5 will ship in 2007 under the EA brand and was developed by Criterion Games in Guildford, UK. For more information about the Burnout franchise, please visit http://ea.com or our press Web site at http://info.ea.com. For more information about Criterion Games, please visit http://www.criteriongames.com.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for videogame systems, personal computers and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTS, EA, EA SPORTS BIG and POGO. In fiscal 2006, EA posted revenue of $2.95 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is http://www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

Electronic Arts, EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS BIG, POGO and Burnout are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Microsoft and Xbox 360 are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. PlayStation is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060829005143&newsLang=en

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's very much sounding to me like they are emulating the setup of something like Test Drive Unlimited but with that Burnout flavor of racing. In other words, an arcade racing MMO. I definitely like the sound of it. Now, here's hoping that any online features they add to the game actually f'ing work.

The Burnout gameplay mechanic applied to an open world MM3 scenerio would be quite cool. I don't know if it will be or is intended to be MMOish. I don't think I'd necessarily like that anyway. But I really liked MM3. And despite my inabilty to find time to play Burnout lately, I still like the game very much and appreciate its evolution. Though FUCK EA with their online problems. I like a lot of their games and it pisses me off that this persists. I'm getting mad right now thinking about the problems I'm going to have with this game a year from now.

Ugh the thought of a MMO Burnout game makes me cringe. EA can't seem to ever get their online shit together so why are we gamers supposed to believe they can do this? IF they can pull it off it has potential to be fun but I just can't see this game playing well online. A game like this relies heavily on collision detection. MMO style games always have wonky collision detection issues due to lag.

I am skeptical about this. I think Burnout is best served by the instant action setup of the game as it is now, and am worried that it will be a "drive to a point to begin a mission" as Parrish said.

I don't see any direct mention of MMO or online at all in the PR, but let me add my voice to the "Fuck EA Online" chorus.

It's posting like all of these about EA that make me wonder if there are any community people at EA or market research people who know about all these friggin problems. Do they have their heads in the sand? I am compelled somewhat to have everyone here bombard major nelson with requests for an interview with an EA rep to tackle this issue head on.

It's posting like all of these about EA that make me wonder if there are any community people at EA or market research people who know about all these friggin problems

Why would they? EA makes money...lots of money. As long as they are making money they dont give a rats ass about Joe Gamer's opinions/complaints.

Why would they? EA makes money...lots of money. As long as they are making money they dont give a rats ass about Joe Gamer's opinions/complaints.
If the EA brand gets stained with a reputation for games with broken online features, beyond the enthusiasts like us, they will care because it will affect sales. That's why I'd really like journalists to address this issue head on. A headline on IGN, Gamespot, and 1up saying "Why Most EA Games Don't Work Well Online" would be a start. I bet that would get juices flowing in their PR department.

• 2 weeks later...

A few tidbits from the article (mainly PS3 focused)

-Cell processor is a beast and just one of the SPE's in the PS3 is about as powerful as the emotion engine on the Playstation 2

-Burnout Revenge features about 12 total parts that would make up a vehicle. wehen destroyed it's those parts you would see fly. Burnout 5 will feature over 80 parts per vehicle all governed by a running physics engine.

-The team is going for hyper physics. In other words "realistic" physics are not the order of the day. They want it to be believable but extraordinary.

-Cars can be ripped in half if hit in the proper places, roofs will fly off, the entire car can be nothing but rubble if caught in a pileup.

-Sound is a huge focus for the team. They really want to push multi-directional sound and what they call "Crash AI". In other words, crash sounds will not be canned, but instead will be tailored to individual crashed. The game will analyze the specific crash and choose the appropriate sounds from a pool of over 1000 "voices".

-The world will be very sizeable. The developers note it would take anywhere from 6-8 minutes to drive from one end of the world to the other uninterrupted at top speed.

-They are adamant in players not having to "find the fun". Each car in the game will have 10 goals attached it called "Driving Offenses". These are the equivalent of traffic violations. Instead of driving to specific locations to engage in a race of goal like in Test Drive Unlimited, you can automatically set off these goals from any location. One might be to drive in opposing traffic for 45 seconds without crashing. Each car will have different offenses associated as the developers want folks using different cars and no just sticking to one.

-Crash modes can be initiated anywhere with the touch of a button. Crashes will continue with no time limit as long as the pile-up continues. The x2 multipliers and other add-ons from Burnout 3 will be brought back but will be connected to vehicles and not just out in the world to grab.

-Online rivals is coming back and being expanded. Revenge on the 360 was a test bed. Now you can set specific targets using the "Marked Man" function. Also you can use the "Dirty Tricks" feature in the middle of a rivalry to mess with your opponent steering wheel and other car functions.

-Downloaded content is in the works and Criterion are not interested in "fluffy" downloads. They want to release full new modes for the game and support it over an extended amount of time.