LCVG

LCD and gaming...anyone?

GrumpyElf

Hi all,

I currently have an older 19" CRT. My company gets large discounts on Dell products. I think I may go with a 17" LCD, the 171FPb. I remember everyone talking about ghosting and image tearing on LCD's. I was wondering if anyone plays games on a LCD... in particular, Unreal, Quake, and other fast moving games.

Thanks...

Tom

Response time (i.e. the LCD equivalent of refresh rate) isn't such a big problem with the newer LCD Panels. However, you will definitely lose out on some black level and overall the picture is a bit washed out.

However, even with those said, LCDs shouldn't be a problem at all for your gaming, plus you don't have to suffer eye strain!

I was very skeptical about LCDs until I got some first hand experience with my recently acquired laptop computer. So far, I'm very impressed. No motion blur at all! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see my first dead pixel...

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread.

I've been contemplating a LCD panel and I'm torn between two similarly priced options (they're both about $500).

One's a Viewsonic with a 16ms response time and a 500:1 contrast ratio. The other is a Dell with 25ms response time (I'm guessing, based on their other FPs) and a 600:1 contrast ratio.

Which is more important? Contrast or response time? My guess is Response, but I'd like to hear other opinions...

I lucked out at work, and was able to "sign out" a Dell 2001FP 20.1" for an unlimited amount of time. Let me tell you, I will NEVER go back to my CRT. I had them running side by side, and it hurt my eyes to try and use my CRT.

The only bad thing is that I'll have to buy this model if I decide to leave my job anytime in the near future.

I should also point out I play a LOT of games. CoH, UT2K4, BF:V all run fantastic on this LCD. The only downside is that the monitors native resolution is 1600x1200, so I run every game at that res. Which is quite taxing for my PC. :)

I just bought the budget BenQ FP767-12 LCD moniter. Its nothing fancy and doesnt even have a DVI input (which I'm wondering if I should take it back and get one that does) so its hooked analog. I have to say though I havent seen any ghosting or strange artifacts at all playing BF 1942 and BFV. With a 12 ms refrsh time its more "built for gamers". Not the best picture that an LCD has I'm sure but BFV does look much better than my old CRT moniter.

Anyone have any thoughts on the importance of DVI? I have 14 days to get a refund/exchange.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Buck+May 21 2004, 06:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buck @ May 21 2004, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Whooter@May 21 2004, 06:38 PM

Today I ordered the 2001FP. :green:

On sale at Dell ($799.20 and free ground shipping).... :tu:

Nice Joel :tu:

What are your PC specs? [/b]

Currently:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+

512MB RAM

80GB Western Digital HDD

ATI Radeon 9700Pro

NEC 17" CRT monitor

In a couple weeks:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1GB RAM

80GB Western Digital SATA HDD (contemplating a second 80GB SATA for RAID)

ATI Radeon 9700Pro

Dell 2001FP LCD monitor

You'll love the Dell, I too have it, and can't go back to anything less. Never had a single ghosting or blurring issue yet... I run almost all FPS's, and at very high frame rates, as I have a new X800 Pro from ATI... so, trust me, it's worth the cost.

T.