LCVG

Disgaea portable!

PoisonJam

I never owned the PS2, and while missing out on certain games has caused me various degrees of angst, from the mildly wistful (God of War) to burningly covetous (Rez, Ico), no PS2 game has caused more pangs of longing and raw need than Disgaea. So you can probably imagine the heights of my exhilaration when I read the following link.

Set for a November release in Japan, Makai Senki Disgaea Portable will bring the original PlayStation 2 game to the PSP with some added features. First off, there will be a number of new scenarios and dungeons, some of which will feature "characters that nobody would expect to see in Disgaea." As for the characters that one would expect to find in the game, they all return along with their original voice actors who are providing extra lines of dialogue.

Feel free to hit me with the Family Circus if this is old news, but this is simply the most exciting gaming news I have read in months and I had to share. :)

I get this:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /games/index.blog.

Reason: Could not connect to remote machine: Connection timed out

Which means whatever you posted is NOT TRUE. It can't be. I won't accept it.

[edit] Nvm, I got it now. Time to pack my bags and head for the rising sun.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Disgaea PSP is coming to North America and here's a preview! Woot!

The main storyline will still follow the events of Prince Laharl, who has been asleep for two years. He's awoken by his vassal, Etna, to find that his father, the king of the Netherworld, has died. To make matters worse, demons are threatening to overtake the Netherworld kingdom, which is now rightfully his. But what if rather than beating Prince Laharl until he woke up, Etna killed the prince? That question will be answered by the new storyline, which follows Etna in her quest to become Beauty Queen Ultimate Overlord Etna and includes an all-new ending.
By far the biggest addition to the US version of the game is ad hoc multiplayer,

Woot!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice big hands-on preview up at IGN. Sounds pretty darn fine. SRPG overload on the PSP this season - Jeanne D'Arc, FFT, D&D Tactics & Disgaea, and I'm sure there's a few more. This & FFT stands out to me as must buys. Ironic they're both the remakes of the list.

What is different, however, is the inclusion of Etna Mode, which we were able to unlock using a preview build code (this may or may not be in the final build). Etna Mode, a guaranteed laugh, provides an alternative telling of Disgaea's story from the point of view of Etna. This perspective starts with Etna accidentally killing Laharl when trying to wake him up. Everything following that, it seems, is a spoiler for the main game, since you're suddenly privy to a great amount of information you wouldn't have known had you been playing from Laharl's perspective. Gameplay wise, the mode is very similar to the main story, granted that Etna is the main character and the plot flow is drastically different. Although your party starts at Level 1, the opening battles felt a touch more challenging than the skirmishes that Laharl faces, and no Tutorials are given during combat. This mode is clearly designed for those who have already played the main game, and want a fresh glimpse at the story. Although we only had limited time with Etna's perspective, this additional mode should certainly attract veterans of the game who want to revisit a classic title.

From what we've seen during the beginning hours of the game, Disgaea has made an impressive jump onto the PSP, with no unwanted stretching of the picture (as far as we could tell) and a maintained level of sound quality. The music sounds especially wonderful, and we recommend getting a good pair of headphones ready to enjoy it.

• 4 months later...

This is an utterly fantastic port of the excellent PS2 game. I've racked up about 10 hours so far, and there's not a single thing wrong with it in my eyes. It's a 100% faithful reproduction of the original, with some extra features as noted above in the previews. The design, implementation & look of the game are perfect for the PSP, it really is a natural home for it.

Loving it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Disagaea 2 ships today for the PSP! Too many games!

The best part of the news, for me, is this little tidbit:

I also want to let you know that NIS America will release our past PSP titles, such as Prinny, Disgaea, Blade Dancer, and more, on PSN in the coming weeks. They will be available between $4.99 and $12.99 during the sales week (October 1st to 7th.) They are all 50% off, so don’t miss this chance to get them if you haven’t gotten these titles yet!

Disagaea 2 ships today for the PSP! Too many games!

The best part of the news, for me, is this little tidbit:

I also want to let you know that NIS America will release our past PSP titles, such as Prinny, Disgaea, Blade Dancer, and more, on PSN in the coming weeks. They will be available between $4.99 and $12.99 during the sales week (October 1st to 7th.) They are all 50% off, so don?t miss this chance to get them if you haven?t gotten these titles yet!

For those of you that are Disgaea fans - there is an anime of the series out there, it's 3 DVDs long, quite rare though, apparently expands on the first games storyline quite well though

Never did get into 2 very much but 1 and 3 are awesome simply because of the twisted comedy

In some respects I like having these on the psp over having them on the ps2 >.>

I hope 2's port is as good as the first