LCVG

Company of Heroes

EnemaEms

Ever since Battle For Middle Earth II was released on teh 360, I discovered that I like a genre I thought I would never like...the RTS genre. :)

Anyway, I saw a video preview on Gamespot for Company of Heroes and it looked prettty good. I downloaded the demo and I now cannot wait for this game to come out. I am sure WWII RTS games are a dime a dozen. How does this one stack up against other WWII RTS games? Is anyone here going to pick this up? Am I talking to myself again?

-Dean-

I played through this demo last night and liked it a lot. I, like you, am not an RTS gamer at all but the WW2 setting is too much to pass up. I enjoyed the D-Day level more than the other one because I didn't have to worry about resources.

Speaking of which, I remember a string of wargames from Microsoft about ten years ago that were WW2-based. I can't remember the title though...Close Combat?

The "Close Combat" titles were quite fun. I'm not a fan of other WW2-based RTS titles, but I do plan on trying "Company of Heroes."

If you're a new convert to the RTS genre, you owe it to yourself IMO to try the "Age of Empires" series or the original "Rise of Nations." They can be picked up cheap now, except maybe AOE3.

I'm hopelessly addicted. This game is amazing.

It still chugs a little for me in spots, but I suspect that my control panel is set to single-GPU for some reason. I'm going to force alternate-frame rendering and see if that helps.

All the same, it's practically impossible to put this down once you start. I love RTS's but I'm no master of them, so I typically get drawn into long matches. I spent probably two hours or so last night working to retake Carentan (third single-player mission.) Carefully flanking the Germans, grabbing munitions points, sneaking up from behind to satchel their MG42 nests and anti-tank guns. I find myself getting attached to my little Army guys -- I hit the retreat button on my veteran squads if there's even a hint of trouble. I love stealing German mortars and shelling their chokepoints from half a mile away, or mining roads and watching German supply convoys careen out of control and crash into the nearest ditch.

So much detail, so well executed -- this is a model for WWII gaming in any genre, in my opinion.

During lunch at work yesterday someone got a bunch of us to try a big multiplayer game. First thing I did after work was buy it for myself and I've been playing it non-stop (except for sleeping) since I got home last night. Haven't even tried the campaign, I've just been doing some skirmishes and playing online (just small 1v1 matches so far). I absolutely love it! :) Every aspect of the game seems so perfectly balanced to make for perfectly-paced WWII battles. All the little things that used to annoy me with typical RTS games are missing from this one. And then there are the great graphics and awesome sound... fantastic game all around :)

Hehe, I'm glad you can watch replays after you get rocked. I just learned a valuable lesson from someone online: on small maps you're not really going to increase your manpower income much beyond what you get from your HQ, so just secure yourself some fuel and you're good to go.

I'm very tempted. Spec wise I should be ok with my XPS Gen2. 2GBRAM and a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra video card. correct?

Totally :)

• 1 year later...

Played some more last night while waiting for the Eye Of Judgment update to download and install. :)

Started the Carentan mission and now having a sniper helps tremendously. Being able to throw him in nearly any building is great. Also love the mortar teams. I am kicking myself for taking so long to get this game.

-Dean-

It means it will be awesome. :)

COH doesn't worry about resource gathering. Instead you take control of different types of points (Munitions, Fuel, etc.). The game focuses more on the action using smaller groups instead of huge armies. I haven't played many RTS', but of the ones I have played, this one is easily my favorite.

-Dean-

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I found out that you need to take out their base as quickly as possible on the NE side of the map. They have a weapons and vehicle depot there that keeps spawning new tanks. I found this out when looking at the tactiocal map after the 3rd time I died. ;)

What I am going to do is make the house a forward base and setup barracks there to get a few platoons created and then rush that base.

-Dean-