LCVG

What's wrong with fanboyism?

foogledricks

Our spider-sense tingles when we snif fanboyism while reading a discussion thread debate. Sometimes an enlightened person will say, "Who cares which console is better or which one wins, in the end its all about what's fun for you."

And I say those pacifist pussies should go hug a kitten. Although fanboyism can get us a little emotional at times, even make us a little abrasive and dissruptive, making circular arguments and eventually personal attacks. Most of the time that's not the case. Most of the time we're just rooting for our team. Justifying our purchases. Backing up our choices.

And why shouldn't we? I've spent hundreds of dollars on this damn thing. I want to believe it was a good choice. And I want my platform to get better mindshare, game exclusives, PR victories, etc... because it will result in more support for the platform I own. More games. More GOOD games. More people to play and talk with.

So next time it seems like I'm rooting for YOUR team to lose, you're probably right. Your loss is my win in some cases. No hard feelings, ok? And pacifist guy. Yeah you, the super-rich and super-free-time guy who has every game on every console - fuck off. I'm trolling here.

Here's my problem with fanboyism: How many discussions between serious, hardcore fanboys result in insightful, well-researched, and articulate opinions? Conversely, how many such discussions result of childish rantings, name calling, and all out flame wars?

Quite frankly, I have no use for such things on this or any other forum. Those who wish to engage in such discussions can take it elsewhere. I have no desire to waste my time with these things if I can help it.

I'm not saying that we can't prefer one video game system over another. I just don't see the point in telling everyone else who enjoys the competition's stuff more that they're wrong. You might as well tell me that I'm wrong for enjoying Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch more than Frosted Flakes. It's practically the same thing.

I have only said two of those statements.

Gears of War is of little to no interest to me at this point. In all fairness though, I wasn't interested in Dead Rising in the slightest, but greatly enjoyed the game.

I was going to cancel my Live subscription... and still may. I have two 1 year subscriptions that I purchased for $19.99 each and may use them. But I have to justify how much I think I will be playing Live in the next year...

Which leads to the last statement. I have never said that Nintendo will have the best launch lineup ever, although it is certainly one of the largest.

I have never thought there is anything wrong with openly supporting a company who's products you favor over others. Unless it's Joey's man love for Microsoft. That shit is just fucked up.

Glen

Fanboyism is just like Nationalism to me: it has it's place and can be a healthy state of mind, but when it gets out of control things can get ugly. Irrationally, hatefully, inappropriately ugly. Too much pride in any one thing is just setting you up for a fall IMHO.

By the converse though, some people (not so much on this forum in truth) rush in and call anyone with a preference a 'fanboy'. This is just as bad and can be just as irrational, ugly, and hateful as the other side.

Socrates nailed it, too much or too little of anything is a bad situation. Moderation is the key to long term happiness.

I'm not saying that we can't prefer one video game system over another. I just don't see the point in telling everyone else who enjoys the competition's stuff more that they're wrong. You might as well tell me that I'm wrong for enjoying Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch more than Frosted Flakes. It's practically the same thing.

Fanboyism is just like Nationalism to me: it has it's place and can be a healthy state of mind' date=' but when it gets out of control things can get ugly. Irrationally, hatefully, inappropriately ugly. Too much pride in any one thing is just setting you up for a fall IMHO.[/quote']

Those are the prevailing sentiments when it comes to fanboyism from a lot of us here. I personally agree with the both of you, but you gotta know to take Keith with a HEAVY dose of salt.;) I got a good laugh out of the intial post in this thread because it's so obviously sarcasm at its finest. He condemns the very thing he's defending with the entirety of his post (especially that last paragraph which got me laughing pretty good) yet somehow forms it all into a relevant statement.:lol That takes skill.

Unless it's Joey's man love for Microsoft

Ok that statement is not true at all. Except for the 360 i own no other microsoft branded products. I have a DS lite, will own a Wii, have a Imac, and have an Ipod.

Now if you want to call me a fanboy of a certain HD video format. Go right ahead

Here's my problem with fanboyism: How many discussions between serious, hardcore fanboys result in insightful, well-researched, and articulate opinions? Conversely, how many such discussions result of childish rantings, name calling, and all out flame wars?

Quite frankly, I have no use for such things on this or any other forum. Those who wish to engage in such discussions can take it elsewhere. I have no desire to waste my time with these things if I can help it.

It's a good thing you are not one of the forum owners then. :)

Oh , and Cameron...it is "lick Keith's ass", not "sucking on his balls." ;)

To keep this on track. I think everyone here should go fuck themselves...not just one group. :)

-Dean-

It's a good thing you are not one of the forum owners then. :)

Oh , and Cameron...it is "lick Keith's ass", not "sucking on his balls." ;)

To keep this on track. I think everyone here should go fuck themselves...not just one group. :)

-Dean-

Fuck you very much sir, If I may say so myself. :flipoff

And Fruity Peebles is the king of cereals... who would have tought you could pack so much sugar into a flake.

This thread is fucking hilarious.

I agree that fanboyism is kinda like nationalism - when taken to an extreme it's disturbing, and reduces people to blind followers.

I guess I'm not so much a fanboy of any of the companies as an anti-Microsoft fanboy. I'll do my anti-fanboy trolling here. I find their game selection, in general, woefully narrow. It totally panders to typical male stereotypes - bring on the sports games, violent games, and bouncing boobies. Like the SpikeTV of consoles. :D:( Booooooooring. :td

I'm not a Gamecube fanboy though - I know Nintendo does the exact opposite, it tends to make too many all-ages-kid-friendly-cuddly-crap games. I guesss I don't really give a shit how cute it is if it's a good game. I don't have any of that I'm-to-manly-to-play-that-kiddy-crap attitude like some of the really bad Microsoft fanboys have (talking other non-lcvg sites here).

I'm also a bit of an anti-PSP fanboy, because I think their game lineup sucks ass too for the same reasons to a certain extent. :P The hardware is neat, though it is a power-sucking giant-ass beast of a portable.

We all have our bones to pick with different companies; no one is really objective. It's the level of it that is a concern. We don't need the extreme fanboys here.

Although fanboyism can get us a little emotional at times, even make us a little abrasive and dissruptive, making circular arguments and eventually personal attacks. Most of the time that's not the case. Most of the time we're just rooting for our team. Justifying our purchases. Backing up our choices.

fuck off. I'm trolling here.

There is a bit of the fanboyism you speak of here at lcvg - I think it tends to be a bit Microsoft oriented. I think that naturally comes from the original connection to HT websites like HTF, and the generally older crowd here.

Here, what fanboyism there tends to be is like kfredericks says - just people rooting for their team. But fanboyism at many other sites is more like the first sentence - abrasive, disruptive, and full of circular arguments and personal attacks (i.e. Teh people who like Nintendo are little kiddy pussies!!!)

Any sign of over-the-top fanboyism should be immediately crushed by the moderation team. Because it makes most sites not worth bothering to post at. Bring on the iron fist of fanboy-smackdown justice! :rock

I've not used my XBox anywhere near as much as my PS2 or Gamecube. It was the last one I bought, and hasn't lasted very long at all before Microsoft killed it to make way for the 360. So I don't like it as much.

What I failed to do in that paragraph, however, is call all of you people who like it poopheads. That's why I'm not very good at fanboyism.