LCVG

My Basement Flooded

Dave C

1st time since we bought this house 7 years ago.

I'll be out of gaming commission for a while. My basement HT flooded (1" water) due to an outlet that went dead that was running my sump pump. :bh What a fucking mess. Thankfully, none of my A/V equipment was damaged.

Still, I keep telling myself it's a minor inconvienence when compared to victims of Katrina.

That sucks for sure, dude. Basements are unheard of where I come from, so I'm always amazed by stories about them.

So where did the water come from? Was it street flooding from the remnants of Ernesto? What is the role of a sump pump? Is it supposed to always be on to remove water?

I had a conversation with Ricky Hustle once about basements, and neither of us knew in which geographical areas of the U.S. you get basements and which ones don't have them. I couldn't find a map on the internet either. Does anyone know?

Carlos.

Carlos.

I would think that basements are more common in colder geoographical areas do to frost getting deep into the ground where a concrete slab wouldn't be effective enough to deter any structural damage to a home.

I have a full basement in my home where all that is down there pretty much is the oil burner. Alot of people with full basements end up turning part of it into a family room. I am thinking about doing something to that effect because my basement is 28' x 52'.

You can get water in your basement for varying reasons. Older homes with basements usually dont have the proper footing drains and accompanying stone around the foundation do that the water can drain away from the home. Also alot of older homes have stone foundations instead of cement which are more porous.

So where did the water come from? Was it street flooding from the remnants of Ernesto? What is the role of a sump pump? Is it supposed to always be on to remove water?

Yep Ernesto, 2 days of relentless rain. Normally it wouldn't be a problem as long as the sump pump is getting electricity. It has a float. When the float rises it activates the pump. I just put some audible water detectors in each corner of my basement. I may also get a battery backup for my sump pump.

I had to unshelve 1,000 + dvds, move furniture/floor standing speakers/collectible statues, etc...

Thank god my A/V rack & 57" HDTV are on wheels. I rolled them both while still connected to each other into the adjacent utility room. Glad I didn't get the TV re-ISF'd yet.

I just pulled up the carpet and disposed of all the padding. Shop vac the carpet and then propped up the carpet with empty coffee cans and I'm running fans and a brand new dehumidifier that I just purchased ($200 but I've been meaning to get one anyway).

Just checked my insurance policy and it is covered but I have a $250 deductible so I may not file. Depends if I replace the carpeting.

I may just end up tossing the carpet and tileing the floor but then I'm concerned about HT acoustics.

Oh well, it certainly is a LABOR day weekend for me. :lol

That sucks man. Sorry to hear it, but at least the electronics didn't get it.

Funnily enough, I had a similar (though MUCH less severe) situation here on Saturday. My 2 1/2 year-old daughter woke up at 2:30 am, and since my wife works weekends, I got up to sit with her. I was on the couch "resting" with her in her stroller when at 5 am I hear "drip, drip, drip, drip". I get up, turn on the lights and look at the ceiling. Lo and behold there's a pinhole in my ceiling next to my sliding glass door. Now, I live in Arizona in a three-story apartment building, so the cause of it was pretty well limited to upstairs. I call maintenance and by the time they get here I've discovered that the carpet in the corner of my living room under the couches is wet and there's an inch of water in my water heater closet. My wife got up and went upstairs to check and they said everything was fine.

Well, once maintenance got there (two hours later) they discovered that the water heater upstairs had a pinhole in it that was spurting water. They suffered no damage upstairs. I lost a box of cables, but thankfully the artificial Christmas tree on the bottom was double-boxed and only the outer box got it. Maintanance cleaned the carpets and setup a blower and all is well.

Thankfully my 57" HDTV didn't get any water. I'd have been upset!

This last winter our basement flooded... right after we got new carpeting put in! Up in Seattle we had like 23 days of straight rain, and eventually it came in. Ended up pulling the carpet back, tossing the padding for it and renting an industrial de-humidifier as well as some big ass fans for about a week. Now we're doing a lot of fixes around the house, next weekend we're renting a trenching machine to dig around the house (we're at the base of a hill) and putting in some drainage pipes/gravel/sump pumps. Basically over kill, but all that work sounds a lot better than all my home theater shit dying.

If it helps any, my neighbor frequently leaves town for 3-4 weeks at a time. I've offered on many occassions to check on the house for her, put her mail inside, etc., but she never took me up on it. Anyway, about 2 months ago, she was gone and we had a huge, gushing storm. We don't have a basement, so no big deal for me. She got about 3 weeks later, opened the door, and nearly passed out. A sewer pipe had broken, backed up into her basement and filled it with 4 inches of raw sewage.

Needless to say, work is still being done. Literally tons of raw sewage standing in a stagnant pool for 3 weeks....I'm surprised we didn't smell it from our house.

We had a flood in our basement a few years back..The hot water pipe that led to the dishwasher burst over night while we were sleeping and we didn't hear a thing. I woke up in the morning and rushed downstairs to find that the basement was in about 4 to 6 inches of water depending on where you were standing..The part that was affected is about 960 square feet. My sub got destroyed, ps2 and xbox were completely submerged, had to replace all the carpet, one entire wall was replaced as well as about 4 feet of drywall across the entire perimeter of the basement. It did give me the oppotunity to put up wall sconces and I use a lutron dimmer for IR control. I also replaced my 12" Velodyne with an SVS so in the end it worked out great!!! But man was I upset the day it happened....now everytime I leave the house overnight I turn off the main water just ot be extra careful...SO I know how you feel..

I know basements are very unusual in Texas. Wrong type of soil.

I've been told that it's also due to the watertable being too high. Carlos hails from Houston, which sits on a very large swamp system. Our forefathers saw swampland and one of them thought it would be a good place to put up a traffic jam, and thus Houston was born. True story.

There are a few basements here in Austin, but not many. Austin, however, is nestled high in the hill country, above the water, theoretically. But still, by and large, basements are absent from Texas, even in the panhandle, where the soil in significantly different and there is no water.

So to answer the question about why no basements, I don't know.