HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part III

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part IV

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part V

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part VI

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part VII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part VIII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part IX

*ADMIN*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amir's team over at MS has made a breakthrough with VC1. VC1 can now encode at less then 10mb/sec(even 9 mb/sec) with the same quality results. Not to mention can fit more on the HDDVD Discs.

What does this mean in reality? It means we only need 4.5 gigabytes per hour for video at 10 mbit/sec. So a red laser disc (sans audio/extras) can hold 2 hours of superb quality video, HD DVD-15 can support 3.3 hours and HD DVD-30, a whopping 6.7 hours! We can even do more in 9 mbit/sec.

You can read all the info here, and he answers some questions

You can jump over the BR fanboy banter

On another note the HD-E1/HD-XE1's will have the same software/firmware as the HD-A1/HD-XA1's . The differences are it will use a new Core Duo Laptop processor instead of the Pentium and A newer HD-DVD drive which will speed up boot time

For those who missed HDDVD Ray for $14.99 at amazon before. its that price again

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Toshiba A2 and XA2 will look identical to the new European models. They may end up being the same player which would mean no 5.1 outs on the base model...

ifa05_11.jpg

ifa05_09.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060903/ifa05.htm

Rough Babelfish translation...

Furthermore, as HD DVD player "HD-E1" and "HD-XE1" are introduced, "we would like to announce promptly even in Japan and the United States", that, it suggests also domestic throwing.

Toshiba plans to ship 350,000 HD DVDs

"We've already shipped around 50,000 in the US and Japan. We plan to ship another 300,000 by the end of the year," Yoshihide Fujii, the head of Toshiba's digital consumer business, said.

"In the first quarter of next year, we should ship another 200,000 worldwide," he added, speaking after giving a keynote speech to the IFA consumer electronics trade fair in Berlin.

Note that these are Toshiba hardware numbers not HD DVD format numbers as far as projections go. They would not include the 360 add-on, Lite On, etc.

Here's an interesting commentary on the future of the format war...

With the collapse of China?s red-laser efforts, the most likely scenario there is the adoption of the proposed China-only version of HD DVD.

If ultimately approved by the DVD Forum, the sub-format could open up a vast new market for HD DVD outside of the U.S.

While that wouldn?t preclude Blu-ray from also gaining traction in China, given the cost differences between the formats and the DVD Forum?s greater willingness to play mahjong with the Chinese, HD DVD looks like a much better bet for the People?s Republic.

THE MAIN DIFFERENCE with the Chinese version of the format, moreover, is that it uses the official video codec of China, AVS, rather than the three Japanese/European/U.S. codecs used by standard HD DVD as well as by Blu-ray. From a player manufacturing point of view, that?s no difference at all.

A China-only version of HD DVD could mean a lot of Chinese factories?which currently produce over 70% of the DVD players sold around the world?geared to turn out piles of cheap HD DVD players.

And whether they drop in an AVS chip or a VC-1 chip will make little difference in their output.

That sort of economy of scale would only reinforce the worldwide cost differences between HD DVD and Blu-ray?and make the factory floors of China at least as important a battleground in the global format war as the retail shelves of the U.S. and Europe.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6368353.html

Its a very slow news day because of the holiday but i thought this was funny

Sony released Blu-ray titles to stores in Korea, too bad Samsung didnt ship players yet. Samsung said they delayed the players to release along with their new HDTV line in the next few days. The irony of the entire thing is its Samsung's home country, and Sony looked stupid. Guess that makes them even after Sony's comment about the chip problem which was false

The HighDefDigest review of Tears of the Sun says that its video is just as good as any HD-DVD out there, maybe Sony has finally figured out MPEG2 on Blu-Ray.

Maybe it is just because my expectations were unfairly lowered these past weeks, but I really thought this is among the best high-def I've yet seen, and frame-per-frame, it is certainly an equal with anything I've yet reviewed on HD DVD.

I hope that Toshiba can get the HD-A2 and HD-XA2 out the door at a nice low cost this fall, and Warner gets the wizard, hacker, and bat out the door on HD-DVD.

I'd be surprised if the A2 and XA2 prices are any cheaper than the current models on sale given it's safe to assume they're taking losses on each player sold. That said, the A2 really ought be cheaper given they stripped it off the multi-channel analogue outputs.

Oh and…

Universal Studios Home Entertainment is now indicating that The Hulk, King Kong and Waterworld are indeed coming to HD DVD on November 14... The disc specs are provided as it currently stands, though they are still subject to changes.

November 14

1) The Hulk (HD DVD)

Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 1.85:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English, Spanish & French). English [sDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.

Bonus Feature include:

- Feature Commentary with Director Ang Lee

- Hulk Cam: Inside the Rage

- Deleted Scenes

- Evolution of the Hulk

- The Incredible Ang Lee

- The Dog Fight Scene

- The Making of the Hulk

- The Unique Style of Editing The Hulk

- My Scenes (HD DVD Scene-bookmarking feature)

2) King Kong - 2005 Theatrical (HD DVD)

Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 2.35:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English, Spanish & French). English [sDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.

List of bonus features coming soon...

3) Waterworld (HD DVD)

Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 1.85:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English, Spanish & French). English [sDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.

List of bonus features coming soon...

This is good news especially with King Kong coming to HD DVD. It seems that King Kong will be on HD DVD instead, not on a combo disc. Personally, I suspect that King Kong HD DVD may be a 2-disc set...

Below is the rest of the rumored list of Universal Studios' HD DVD titles that is due in November which Universal Studios has yet to confirm... expect the studio to confirm their release on HD DVD together with the release dates over this week or the next few weeks...

November 21

Dr Seuss How The Grinch Stole Christmas

November 28

An American Werewolf in London

Dune (Theatrical)

Meet The Parents

The Mummy

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/

Kong ‘2005 theatrical’ indication that it’s not the extended version? Surely that’s a marketing disaster to release the theatrical edition to HD DVD on the same day DVD gets a loaded extended edition release.

Universal’s HD DVD ordering page indeed showing Kong's running time in accordance with the length of the theatrical version.

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=36572

The Man Room has more info, plus artwork for Hulk and Waterworld. Universal’s website price of $30 for Kong is conflicting against The Man Room’s quote that it will in fact be a $40 release which you’d think would suggest a combo in which case, but given Universal have yet to skimp on porting DVD features if it was the theatrical cut I’d imagine it would end up a two disc affair with disc one being a combo, and disc two being the same DVD from the two-disc theatrical edition DVD release from earlier in the year. It could also be HD only on disc one. Theatircal cut, and again a second disc with the same extras as the two-disc DVD from earlier this year. That, or it IS the extended version which would need a second disc to house the DVD version's two discs worth of bonus features.

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=274

Again it really wouldn't be good for Universal or HD DVD if the format only gets the theatrical cut on the 14th which is the same day DVD gets the extended multi-disc release.

I thought of another potential option for Kong.

Again it could be the extended, and again two discs, but with *gasp* the film split over two discs with half the extras on disc one, and the other half on disc two. This would somewhat mimic the layout of the forthcoming DVD version where the movie is split over discs 1 & 2 with some extras on both discs, and a third disc housing more extras. This would actually be a pretty disastrous way to approach the HD release though, but I guess it remains an option nevertheless.

The extended is only 13 mins longer meaning it would be around 3 and a half hours which is no problem for a 30gb disc, however if they wanted to pour in loads of IME content it could feasibly force the movie itself to spread over two discs.

In summary, there are more ways for them to possibly mess this up than not to. Hopefully we'll know what's what soon.

The HighDefDigest review of Tears of the Sun says that its video is just as good as any HD-DVD out there, maybe Sony has finally figured out MPEG2 on Blu-Ray.

Glad to see a title get good reviews, but they do mention some small video problems the movie still has towards the end.

It's annoying as I don't really like optical connections. I think the cables themselves are ludicrous. It's enough to put me off the E1 which is a frustration as it's otherwise got everything else I'd be wanting and I'm not sure I'd want to stretch a budget to the XE1. I guess it would depend on what price the XE1 is selling for in the new year as it will launch at ?599 retail, but a street price below ?500 sometime next year would be more appealing.

I'm really rather miffed at the cost cutting on the E1/A2.